ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 development

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
So after I get the Immobiliser sorted on the 172 rally car i have built. I will be looking at sourcing a 2nd engine and developing it myself.

My question is I'm looking to get around 200-210bhp. Plus. How? Well I'm looking for answers here really. Obviously choice would be a set of throttle bodies and cams.

But I'm sure @NorthloopCup did some development with a 197 head cams and manifold.

What's people's thoughts?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
So after I get the Immobiliser sorted on the 172 rally car i have built. I will be looking at sourcing a 2nd engine and developing it myself.

My question is I'm looking to get around 200-210bhp. Plus. How? Well I'm looking for answers here really. Obviously choice would be a set of throttle bodies and cams.

But I'm sure @NorthloopCup did some development with a 197 head cams and manifold.

What's people's thoughts?
I did 230bhp using a 197 head and inlet alongside some exotic R3 pistons and cams mate. Not cheap, but did the job. I also used a pms exhaust manifold.

Unless you're fully prepared for the cost implications, I'd just put some 438's in and get it remapped mate.

Prepared to spend a decent chunk of cash? The world is your oyster.

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
I did 230bhp using a 197 head and inlet alongside some exotic R3 pistons and cams mate. Not cheap, but did the job. I also used a pms exhaust manifold.

Unless you're fully prepared for the cost implications, I'd just put some 438's in and get it remapped mate.

Prepared to spend a decent chunk of cash? The world is your oyster.

Just fancy something a bit different. But I'm guessing some cams and maybe ITBs would be a cheaper option!

Just liked the sound of a 197 head on a 172 with all the internals aswell.

Decisions in the next few months.

dan's cast offs.
i'll just leave this here :tonguewink:

THIS ONE.jpg

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
This with standard head and high compression bottom end with ITB's.
IMG_0555.JPG

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Bloody he'll that goes well. What's the spec your running?
My spec is
DTH throttle bodies
Block prep,84mm Forged pistons and rods 12.6:1,re faced head and valves, standard 172 cams
I was just after a bit more power to make it a bit more exciting to drive. Once it's warmed up fully, it's like it has another 20bhp.
Have had this engine 4 and a bit years, 20odd thousand miles of road and tracks and never had any problems.
It's definitely an event when going out for a blast!

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
EFI mapped mine
Standard injection
Piper cams
Supertech valves
Ported head
ARP rod bolts
Matched inlets

188 bhp
172 ft/lb torque

Torque better for rallying

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I bought the engine from @Ph1 Tom on here, he built it. The matched inlets I got for 120 painted, and the map was 249

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Goes very well, just needs another 2500 for proper suspension!