ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 - Tidy Up & Track Project

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Eibach Sportlines have arrived as well as new cup front and rear shocks. Nearly getting there with all of the parts now!

LNUxJbb.jpg

Oj0fZCP.jpg

EsqSxR4.jpg

06GKjtv.jpg

qxlUfzM.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I've picked up some wheels today for a bargain on eBay. They've been recently refurbed in white (not ideal for cleaning) but look decent for the price. I just need to get some decent tyres sorted now, which shouldn't take long.

Hopefully the OEM wheel bolts will fit too!

They're Lenso Spec-C I believe. Not the worlds greatest manufacturer, but I'm lead to believe they're pretty strong.

v28dLdp.jpg

mgS2ayi.jpg

WG9Mj7C.jpg

KL3LQpI.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Finally some proper progress. Over the last few weeks the car has had most of the parts fitted and the handling feels good for the first time (although the tyres are shite). I think the main problem can be seen in the photos below, odd rear shocks and odd cup/non cup rear springs. That can't be good?!? Why would people just change 1, and then for the wrong one!!

nMRAoyq.jpg

I0AtzsG.jpg

S9HkUT0.jpg

No wonder the rear of the car felt awful!

Anyway, the car has now had:

• Pre Cat Lambda Replaced - Engine Light Gone
  • New Cup Front Shocks
  • New Cup Rear Shocks
  • New Style Front OEM Top Mounts
  • Eibach Sportline Springs
  • Whiteline Rear ARB (Set To Medium At The Moment)
  • New Front Brembo HC Discs
  • New Rear OEM Discs
  • New Rear OEM Pads
  • New Front DS2500 Pads
  • K-Tec Braided Brake Lines
  • Brake Fluid
  • Alignment
I took the car for a much needed run out to Oulton Park this afternoon as it's been months since it's had a good run. It was great fun! The car does sit nicer on the springs as well, I think it'll drop a smidge more as well.

0Fd8ErT.jpg

eo6LdLd.jpg

j27Egnr.jpg

g1Km0sM.jpg

VPuxkpt.jpg

9QDGK4D.jpg

V00w3cI.jpg

9vosxfF.jpg

I should add that the car stops a million times better as well. I've bedded the pads nicely as the roads were quite quiet, so hopefully that'll do nicely.

A few more to show the drop:

o4wCjkx.jpg

P686SRp.jpg

A one with another 182 buddy in the background (seen this car a lot at Oulton so guess they work there):

ugLMAEd.jpg

She needs a damn good clean now!!!

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Disaster on the way home though, after finally getting everything sorted I'm getting a different EML on now, but only very rarely when stuck in traffic. I'm gutted to be honest as I thought I was finally getting there ready for a first track run in March.

The light flashes and comes on when stuck in traffic very infrequently, maybe 2 or 3 times in an hour of driving (and I was in traffic more than that). While the EML is flashing a torque scan gives a P0303 Powertrain Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected.

vtdBnmL.jpg

While scanning and the EML is not flashing it doesn't show any faults.

I'll have to do some research on here to see what other people have changed. I'm guessing it's something related to the CAT as it's pretty knackered, either that or maybe the new Lambda sensor? The car certainly isn't misfiring though, not that I can hear or feel.

:(

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I got them for £150, so not bad at all really although the tyres are extra crap!

I've not checked that they fit yet (only concerned about bolt size fitting through the holes as they look like they might be a touch tight), but I will be keeping them all being well :up:

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
yeah allways mooching, that and at other cars. Because, er, free time.

Free time can be a killer! I always end up on TVR's when there's too much spare time. I'd almost given up on cheap wheels as I've had 4 or 5 failed attempts at getting some. I bet you've had a few sets over the years though!

Your new fault is an injector. I had the same and an injector clean by @dann2707 seems to have sorted it.

Thank you for the help. To be honest I was thinking more along the lines of the plugs but if you've successfully solved the same problem I'll go with that first. I know the previous owner had cleaned the injectors so I guess the fault may have cropped up before I bought the car and replacing the lambda has brought it back up?

Great progress mate! Youre ahead of me now, I have done the suspension and pre cat lambda sensor, brakes and steering up next.

Finally starting to get there now! Woohoo! I've seen your steering thread as it seemed like a similar problem to mine. I think mine was mostly down to the odd springs and shocks on the rear more than anything, but replacing the steering rack bushes must have helped the front end as well. I forgot to add them onto my list so must edit it.

I should have another read through your thread. Which suspension did you got with? An OEM refresh?

Yer i would say the same, might be worth checking the plugs and leads as well. Could even be the coil pack.

Thank you for your help as well :up:. Have you had similar problems as well?

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
In a further update to the P0303 fault, I took the car to work today for a decent drive (22 miles one way) to see how the car was running. On the way in this morning I got the same engine light flashing but this time did have a small misfire. The car was hesitant under power while it was cold, but after a few miles (2 or 3 max) seemed to improve vastly and the light didn't come back on again. I was guessing along the line of the plugs after actually feeling the misfire for the first time but reading above it could be the injectors.

On the way home though the car was spot on, no engine lights, no rough idle and no hesitation. All the way home the car drove completely normally and was a bit of a surprise to be honest. I now know the handling issues are 100% sorted though, the steering and handling were great. I'm just a bit baffled about the fault now. Maybe it was just a bit of shite with the car being sat for a few months? Probably not though...

dan's cast offs.
flashing eml is an injector unless it brings up no.1 as this can be something else but 99% of the time it will still be an injector. don't bother getting them cleaned.

Clio F1 197 Cup
Finally starting to get there now! Woohoo! I've seen your steering thread as it seemed like a similar problem to mine. I think mine was mostly down to the odd springs and shocks on the rear more than anything, but replacing the steering rack bushes must have helped the front end as well. I forgot to add them onto my list so must edit it.

I should have another read through your thread. Which suspension did you got with? An OEM refresh?

Yeah, exactly that mate. Went for brand new Renault Cup shocks all round and Cooksport springs that were only a year old when I bough the car. I probably wouldn't have fitted them personally, as it is a bit of a pain having the car so low with all the speed bumps/humps in my area but the reviews say it significantly improves the handling and the genuine Renault items are mega $$$.

Steering is the new big one on my list and I am waiting to get my 197 into a different garage so I have the space to pull the 182 it to work on it freely. Rather tempted to pull everything off and build it up with new joints/polybushes, new rods and ends and rack bushes. I run SuperPros on my Mk1 MX5 and couldn't believe the difference changing from my original rubber bushes. I also have a cambelt due in June and have been searching up on wether to change the dephaser and water pump at the same time- I'm only on 73k but there seems to be split opinions on it on here. Pretty much doubles in price doing the full lot but also of the mind to just get it all done and then its covered. Decisions, decisions!!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I got my injectors cleaned because it's a decent price and I figured if one was dodgy it can't hurt to clean the others out. Cleaning isn't a guaranteed fix so if yours were done I'd say just go buy a new one.

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Spot on, thanks gents. I'll order genuine injectors and then go from there. What's the best place to get them from?

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Thank you kindly @OssPoop . It comes up with the Magneti Marelli Injector on ECP and there is a code for 30% off too, which is a nice bonus. I'll do a double check before placing the order. :up:

dan's cast offs.
i get mine from euro but due to retarded 'lets leave the eu knobheads' they've jumped up by best part of a tenner!!!

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
That sounds about right! I've just tried to use the voucher code and it says the parts aren't included. Annoying!

dan's cast offs.
never had them from gs&f sorry. tell euro you want them price matching at £35.00 each, should be able t do them at that. if not think one of the polish renault dealers is still doing them for just shy of £30 each on ebay.

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I've still not ordered the injectors yet. I need to do that at some point (quite quickly really) as well as new plugs I think. I don't know when they were last changed so it can't do any harm for the price of them.

Could it have been a bad batch of fuel that knackered my lambda and injector? I'm on the same tank on fuel and the lambda warning came up a few minutes after filling up. Could it be linked? If I run through the shite fuel and stick some fresh in could the misfire stop? I'll replace the parts any way but just intrigued.

I've ordered some Nankang NS-2R tyres in the track compound from Demon Tweeks which are getting fitted next weekend. I'll head over later and see if the wheels fit, fingers crossed they will!

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Well a few updates after a few hours yesterday afternoon. The wheels don't fit over the rear calipers, I thought I was home and dry with the front being fine but the rears foul. I think they look ok though.

pzTSjPw.jpg

ACPMKYu.jpg

OyXyE8A.jpg

Do I need to just buy some spacers for the rears? I've never really been in this situation before so I'm not sure how much to space out and if spacing will causing issues for rubbing? Can you just space the rears or should I do the fronts as well? So many questions!!

I did get the extinguisher fitted in the passenger foot well though. The original bracket was made for my old Evo VIII, so it was modified to match the fixing points for the Clio.

DmECcr3.jpg

EWHKIWx.jpg

TqIgElg.jpg

nbZn1CZ.jpg

UbQiNbY.jpg

It's nice and secure and great for quick access.

Then we gave it a much needed clean and stuck some sill stickers on :)

Bfie7Ap.jpg

d8eBLuW.jpg

sivem4c.jpg

mAvu7YA.jpg

kxLaDur.jpg

DezfPaF.jpg

sO3EAdn.jpg

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
I've 3 spare injectors here from a set I bought, only one of mine was dead.
Untested but Welcome to try them one at a time like I did if your local to me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Thank you very much for the kind offer. It's a shame your far away otherwise I would have taken you up on that. Thank you again though :up:

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
It was swapped to a HAAS (I think that's what it was) by a previous owner, but that could have been shite. I do need to pull my finger out and order the injectors. I really want to get this track day booked.

I can't stop thinking about the wheels though. Maybe I should grind away some of the face of the calipers? Only a few mm?

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
A few updates... ECP started to mess me around with price match so I just bought them from Renparts when drunk yesterday. The joys of drunk purchases and decision making!

We went to Demon Tweeks to get the track tyres fitted to the wheels. Nankang NS2R in track compound were a very good buy so I went for them, apparently they're discontinued in the track compound so may be replaced by something else soon? While there it was rude to not have a look around. I could spend an absolute fortune there!

kVEeqtp.jpg

qifGDzn.jpg

1SmUBWO.jpg

oyNaA7k.jpg

Then a quick look at the new parts that have arrived. Hopefully these wheels will now fit with 5mm spacers for the rear. Time will tell!

XeNpLye.jpg

VvOgsyi.jpg

TWjdIo2.jpg

We (well, my girlfriends dad) managed to move the filter to behind the passenger headlight even with a big battery. The bracket took a bit of persuading but it should be a lot cooler over there and a suffer a lot less from heat soak. I might put a hard pipe in now I know that it fits!

bRY43pi.jpg

mg9saIp.jpg

0COzzYa.jpg

EHPPQnu.jpg

The cold air feed from under the car is still in place and has been wedged in too. Every little helps :up:

ymOCOrZ.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I had quite a successful day yesterday with no real frustrations! That has to be a first!! :smile:

First of all I got the track wheels fitted now the 5mm pure motorsport rear spacers arrived. They all fit and with a mm or two to spare. I've not had chance to have a drive out yet though as we got blocked in, but hopefully I will have had a run out by the weekend. The new bolts make a big difference too.

G49FzYq.jpg

tk0ZQ9L.jpg

5cTsNoK.jpg

TZ5oTC3.jpg

Then it was onto the proper task of solving the P0303 fault that cropped up a few weeks ago. I decided to swap all of the plugs and injectors in one go while everything was accessible and it wasn't too bad of a job. The old plugs were in so tight though you wouldn't believe. I was worried about doing some damage but perseverance paid off.

I'm not sure when the plugs were last replaced but this is what they looked like. 3 didn't seem too bad but one was sooty (I can't remember which one now though - it may well have been the 3rd.

CJN5Hyk.jpg

xCc2lzw.jpg

The injectors were a bit fiddly but easily do-able. The 3rd was easily the worst condition out of the 4 and took a bit more persuading to come free. All out though and looking like this:

QDBtXEN.jpg

After putting everything back together it was time to start her up. The difference was incredible - much much smoother on idle. It really was quite a difference and surprised me to be honest. I always knew the 182's had a lumpy idle so assumed it was normal, it seems that this wasn't the case. The car idled for a bit without the problem so I'm hoping the error is gone. It certainly should be.

I'll give it a good drive over the next few days just to make sure though.

On another point, the Type R boot is the perfect size for the lugging spare wheels around! :smile:

zcMTcwG.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Some more progress today with the fitting of the OMP steering wheel and Phase 1 indicator stalk. All went quite well other than needing to nip to Halfords to buy a T50 Torx socket, that was a bit of a pain.
The Phase 1 stalk is perfect though, saves messing around and shorting the horn wiring.

dwrPfnF.jpg

NvgjhZR.jpg

Then with the TRS protector on :up:

0U3psn5.jpg