ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio driving advice/tips

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Afternoon guys,
Hoping i dont sound like a total tool, but looking at selling my current car and getting a clio 1*2 (after years of wanting one) iv heard alot about lift off oversteer and other characteristics of the clio so just looking for some driving advice. Only experienced lift off oversteer once and managed to catch it. Had 3 mx5's and a few bmw's so used to oversteer and done a couple of trackdays and 'ring laps but still a novice at best lol. Any advice?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Get a fucked rear damper or a stiff RARB and they skip out fairly easily.

Otherwise, they don't really LOOS much at all.

As above, accelerate and it'll come back.

I hadn't experienced oversteer once in mine in over a year and 7 track days, but then stiffened the chassis with a half cage and its become a little more lively at the rear, nothing dramatic though. As above on a standard car if your experiencing oversteer your entry is to hot.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Take it on an airfield, set up some cones and then find just how easy it is to spin. Learn the limits of the car off road. We ran lots of airfield days for Clios including the Vees for several years at Smeatharpe in Devon, all for £20 a day. If only we had access to that site now.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Take it on an airfield, set up some cones and then find just how easy it is to spin. Learn the limits of the car off road. We ran lots of airfield days for Clios including the Vees for several years at Smeatharpe in Devon, all for £20 a day. If only we had access to that site now.

Still do Autosolos there. And Perranporth.

Only lift-off oversteer moments I've ever had have been going in a smidge too hot (c.15mph) to a roundabout on a frosty morning, and lifting off in the middle of the corner after the long straight at Trax (IIRC), at which point the back stepped out at about 80mph.

Generally in FWD cars, keep your foot in and it will drag you out of lift-off oversteer (assuming you have grip at the front, and haven't come round a corner too fast and are now trying to manage LOOS while also braking to a stop to avoid something...).

Listerine & Poledo
After driving an MX5 with any kind of entheusiasm, you'll find a front-dragging hatchback a lot easier.
Hell, there's even driver AIDS, you have to drive like a complete ringpiece to have actual problems.

Renault Clio 172
Get your car set up for track. I have a RARB and cage in mine and it slides quite nicely together but being front wheel drive the throttle peddle can be your best friend to get you out of some hairy moments, having already overused it to get you into those situations. ;)