ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio/Mini content

Just purchased a new 6D to add as a second body for weddings to replace a tired workhorse 60D.
I bought the 60D brand new 4 years ago and used it daily pretty much for work, racked up 203k shots on this thing and it was still going so it's earnt it's retirement.

6D arrived today and we had some nice weather so I grabbed a friend and his Mini Clubman S and headed out for a drive to grab a few snaps.

Really rating the 6D, nice compact body compared to a 5D3 but similar quality.

Photos:
34041534593_53416a539a_h.jpg
IMG_5421-Edit by Matt Smith, on Flickr
34812315646_d28fc07a70_h.jpg
IMG_5294-Edit by Matt Smith, on Flickr
34688438892_31202ae7d2_h.jpg
IMG_5271-Edit-Edit by Matt Smith, on Flickr
34851644985_e0ce2bdcde_h.jpg
IMG_5222-Edit by Matt Smith, on Flickr

34041534593_53416a539a_h.jpg

Think your mate needs to get his wheel re-trimmed

That's mine haha, it's a mess tbf but refuse to pay £150+ to have the bus wheel retrimmed. I've just sold the Renaultsport Sabelt that I had on and put the standard wheel back on.

How have you found the 'pop' of the details and colours, moving from crop to FF?

I've always thought about getting a 6D but have hesitated because I'm not sure about the small number of autofocus points (but then again I usually centre-focus and re-compose anyway...) and also the fact it's only got one card slot. Shooting weddings is a dangerous game when you have no back-up card!

How have you found the 'pop' of the details and colours, moving from crop to FF?

I've always thought about getting a 6D but have hesitated because I'm not sure about the small number of autofocus points (but then again I usually centre-focus and re-compose anyway...) and also the fact it's only got one card slot. Shooting weddings is a dangerous game when you have no back-up card!

It's a nice change, more so on focal lengths. Finding my 24-105L much nicer to use on FF. ISO performance seems great so far but the real test will be in the coming weeks.

People get really paranoid about single card slots, I shoot on 2 bodies and have yet to have a card fail on over 3 years of commerical work. I to tend to back up to a laptop during any downtime in the day. Also have a second shooter I bring with me for weddings who uses a 5D3 with dual cards as an extra layer of backup. That said I wouldn't turn down a second card slot but the saving on a 6D vs 5D3 meant I could get a few more bits. Really happy with it so far

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

I tend to be a 'worst case scenario' person so prefer to hire a 5D3 for 'just in case' :D lol

Low light performance and good ISO performance are two of my key criteria so the 6D would seem to hit those targets nicely. Doesn't it also have silent shooting mode? The 7D is nice and quick (and I like 7fps or whatever it is) but it gets a bit noisy when the light drops, which is annoying.

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

I tend to be a 'worst case scenario' person so prefer to hire a 5D3 for 'just in case' :smiley: lol

Low light performance and good ISO performance are two of my key criteria so the 6D would seem to hit those targets nicely. Doesn't it also have silent shooting mode? The 7D is nice and quick (and I like 7fps or whatever it is) but it gets a bit noisy when the light drops, which is annoying.

I've been on a wedding where the video guy had an SD card corrupt, he stopped shooting on it immediately and managed to recover everything with software after the day. All is not lost when a card fails!

Yeah silent shooting mode is cool, I love my 7D it's a great rugged body. Use it for more sporty stuff and it's great at it but it's an old body now, sensor ISO performance has come on leaps and bounds. So much so that I'm used to not pushing past 2000 ISO but so far on the 6D it's clean even past 3400

Awesome info, thanks :up:

In my head I'd use a 7D for daytime shooting (extra reach of a crop is also useful) and a 6D for evening/nighttime or in dimly lit buildings, but I'm sure I'd end up just sticking with the one for reduction of faffing lol

Awesome info, thanks :up:

In my head I'd use a 7D for daytime shooting (extra reach of a crop is also useful) and a 6D for evening/nighttime or in dimly lit buildings, but I'm sure I'd end up just sticking with the one for reduction of faffing lol

Yeah I do like having a crop in the bag with a 70-200 on and a 24-105 or prime on the other body.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The 6d is really good for low light.
I often shoot 6400 and although there is noise, it's more comparable to the noise I used to get at 3200 on my old 550d and you don't tend to notice it as much when shooting Astro photography. I've even shot at 8000 and been fairly happy with the results.

Cheers for the feedback, Aaron!

Yeah I do like having a crop in the bag with a 70-200 on and a 24-105 or prime on the other body.
TBH I have found a 70-200 is just about perfect on a FF for weddings I've been to, unless it's a case of limited space or trying to capture a wider scene - it seems to be a great length for small group shots or single portraits, and the fact you can shoot from far away means people don't really notice you so much.

24-105 is my go-to lens on a 7D, though - seems to cover just about every length you could want and the picture quality is great :smile: