ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio mk2 front window fault

Clio mk2
Hi I have a 2002 clio the front drivers window goes down but won't come up. I can hear a click in the uch when I press the down button but nothing when I press the up button. To get it up I have to remove the switch and jump the wires so I know the motor works. I've also tried a new switch with the same result. Before it stopped working you could hear a lot of clicking in the uch. The passenger window works OK. Would appreciate any advice but think it could be the uch from what I've read. Thanks

Clio 1.2 16V 2005
Hi, I had a similar problem recently. In my case the issue was the connector to the door. Scratched some junk off and sprayed it with contact cleaner.
Or where do you jump the wires to get it up? Directly at the switch? If so, my advice would be useless.

Clio mk2
Hi, I had a similar problem recently. In my case the issue was the connector to the door. Scratched some junk off and sprayed it with contact cleaner.
Or where do you jump the wires to get it up? Directly at the switch? If so, my advice would be useless.
Not sure what colours they are but I just unplug the connector to the window switch and jump two wires in the connector. I've had the door connector off to check the wires for continuity but they was fine and the connector was clean. If I disconnect the plug to the motor I get 12v on the down side but 0v when I hot the up switch. Tried a new switch but no joy. Like I said in the thread when I first tried a new switch I got it working briefly but not for long. Any help is appreciated

Clio 1.2 16V 2005
Maybe you could upload a photo of the wires that run into the switch when you got time and also tell me which you have to jump in order to get the window up?
Because if you can jump the wires to roll it up, it almost certainly can‘t be the uch

Clio mk2
Maybe you could upload a photo of the wires that run into the switch when you got time and also tell me which you have to jump in order to get the window up?
Because if you can jump the wires to roll it up, it almost certainly can‘t be the uch
Hi sorry for the delay but here's the wires and the positioning in the plug (hope there're clear enough). When I tried jumping them again you could hear the uch and motor clicking several times. It's so frustrating as I don't won't to buy a second hand uch if I don't need one. Hopefully you can point me in the right direction

Attachments

• 20230628_195830.jpg
    20230628_195830.jpg
    729.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230628_195800.jpg
    20230628_195800.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • 20230628_195738.jpg
    20230628_195738.jpg
    723.6 KB · Views: 37
  Clio 1.2 16V 2005
Okay so first I would check the switch.
When you unplug the switch you should see something like this:
IMG_8271.jpeg

With 5 pins on the top (I’m gonna call them A1 - A5, from left to right) and 5 on the bottom (B1 - B5).
If we have the same switch you should get continuity between pins B3 and B4 when you press the button for the driver’s window up. If not, check all the other combinations of pins for continuity for "driver up". If you get this result, it‘s probably not a switch fault.
If you can‘t find 2 pins with continuity when you press "driver up", the switch is broken. In this case maybe a short circuit at the switch/connector could have broken your new one, but I‘m not sure.

If you do find these 2 pins:
Now you should look which wires connect to these pins (either B3 and B4 or your 2 pins). One should be a thick black/orange one (note that there are 2 wires that look similar, I mean the one with the darker grey/black) and the other should be a thin pink/purple one (the one you hold in the second image). If that‘s not the case, your connector is wired incorrectly. That’s an easy fix, but for that I‘d need more information.
If the wires are correct however, you should be able to jump these two to roll the window up.

So if you would tell me:
  • Do you get continuity between 2 pins when you press the driver window up? If so, which ones?
  • If so, which wires connect to these pins from the back?
  • If these wires are the ones I described, can you jump them to roll the window up?
  • If so, does it work consistently or do you still get the clicking?
From there I hope I can help you further.

Clio mk2
View attachment 1650379
With 5 pins on the top (I’m gonna call them A1 - A5, from left to right) and 5 on the bottom (B1 - B5).
If we have the same switch you should get continuity between pins B3 and B4 when you press the button for the driver’s window up. If not, check all the other combinations of pins for continuity for "driver up". If you get this result, it‘s probably not a switch fault.
If you can‘t find 2 pins with continuity when you press "driver up", the switch is broken. In this case maybe a short circuit at the switch/connector could have broken your new one, but I‘m not sure.

Now you should look which wires connect to these pins (either B3 and B4 or your 2 pins). One should be a thick black/orange one (note that there are 2 wires that look similar, I mean the one with the darker grey/black) and the other should be a thin pink/purple one (the one you hold in the second image). If that‘s not the case, your connector is wired incorrectly. That’s an easy fix, but for that I‘d need more information.
If the wires are correct however, you should be able to jump these two to roll the window up.

So if you would tell me:
  • Do you get continuity between 2 pins when you press the driver window up? If so, which ones?
  • If these wires are the ones I described, can you jump them to roll the window up?

View attachment 1650379

So if you would tell me:
OK so this morning driving to work the uch started clicking for a while then stopped. With regards to your question I get continuity on B1 and B3 when I press drivers window up which is the thick black/orange and thin brown/ white. This doesn't get the window up when I jump them. To get the window up I have to jump B1 thin brown/white with A3 thin blue/brown. Also at one point I connected the switch to lower the window then unplugged the switch and the window went up by itself. Hope you can fathom this out because it's doing me in. Thanks

Attachments

• 20230629_175121.jpg
    20230629_175121.jpg
    701.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230629_175218.jpg
    20230629_175218.jpg
    825.5 KB · Views: 33
  Clio 1.2 16V 2005
Ok so from what I can tell it should be the thick black/orange wire.
The thin brown/white is the 12V driver up live, the black/orange is connected to earth.

So it’s either a bad connection somewhere at the switch / connector (or at the door connector), a broken black/orange wire somewhere between switch and earth, or just bad contact where the wire is connected to the chassis.

You could also try connecting the thin brown/white wire directly to the chassis, that should roll up the window too. If that’s the case, you should definitely check the black/orange wire.

fyi the thin blue/brown is the live wire for the passenger side which oddly also has connection to earth (idk), which is why you can jump blue/brown and brown/white to roll the window up, but that’s not how it’s supposed to be used.

What I don‘t understand is why the window went up by itself when you unplugged the switch

Clio mk2
Ok so from what I can tell it should be the thick black/orange wire.
The thin brown/white is the 12V driver up live, the black/orange is connected to earth.

So it’s either a bad connection somewhere at the switch / connector (or at the door connector), a broken black/orange wire somewhere between switch and earth, or just bad contact where the wire is connected to the chassis.

You could also try connecting the thin brown/white wire directly to the chassis, that should roll up the window too. If that’s the case, you should definitely check the black/orange wire.

fyi the thin blue/brown is the live wire for the passenger side which oddly also has connection to earth (idk), which is why you can jump blue/brown and brown/white to roll the window up, but that’s not how it’s supposed to be used.

What I don‘t understand is why the window went up by itself when you unplugged the switch
Hello jonah now I'm totally stumped. So I connected the thin blue/brown directly to earth but nothing I also connected the thick black/orange directly to earth but again nothing. So to get the window back up if I jump the thin brown/white and the thin blue/brown it doesn't work until I jump the thin brown/ white to the thick yellow/orange in A4 then put the jump wire back into the thin blue/brown. Confused yet? So I gave up but at the moment the window is working fine 🤷‍♂️. Had a bit of clicking from the uch too. Is the wiring loom knackered?

Clio 1.2 16V 2005
As I said, you should connect the thin brown/white to earth, not the thin blue/brown (that’s the passenger‘s live) and not the thick black/orange (that’s earth).
If that works fine, the fault lies somewhere in the thick brown/orange cable.

Clio mk2
As I said, you should connect the thin brown/white to earth, not the thin blue/brown (that’s the passenger‘s live) and not the thick black/orange (that’s earth).
If that works fine, the fault lies somewhere in the thick brown/orange cable.
Hi jonah sorry I wrote it down wrong....I did connect the thin brown/white to earth but nothing. To get it up I have to jump the thin brown/white to the thick yellow/orange then to the thin blue/brown. It's like it resets it so the window comes up. Then it works for a little while before giving up after several clicks from the uch.

Clio 1.2 16V 2005
If that’s the case, I don’t really know what’s going on.
Maybe you could test if there’s continuity between the black/orange wire and earth, and if you get 12V on the white/brown wire.
Maybe that helps, but idk

Clio mk2
If that’s the case, I don’t really know what’s going on.
Maybe you could test if there’s continuity between the black/orange wire and earth, and if you get 12V on the white/brown wire.
Maybe that helps, but idk
Thanks for the advice I'll try that. It's a strange one as when I mess about with the switch/plug it seems to work temporarily. I'm thinking it could be a broken wire somewhere. I'll try and see where the earth runs to but I'm close to giving up.

Clio 1.2 16V 2005
When I had a similar problem, connecting the wires you have to connect to roll the window up also gave this strange result where it didn’t work consistently, exactly like you described.
But as soon as I had the wiring correct it worked perfectly, after turning ignition off and back on. I guess you have to "reset" it because the wires you connect aren’t the correct ones, so something goes wrong when you do I guess.
So just try the other things, maybe you find something.

Clio mk2
When I had a similar problem, connecting the wires you have to connect to roll the window up also gave this strange result where it didn’t work consistently, exactly like you described.
But as soon as I had the wiring correct it worked perfectly, after turning ignition off and back on. I guess you have to "reset" it because the wires you connect aren’t the correct ones, so something goes wrong when you do I guess.
So just try the other things, maybe you find something.
The cars 21 year's old and the windows were fine until last year then this happened. Thanks for all the advice though I'll try find where the earth goes....hopefully it will be dirty