ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio RS250ish

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to hear it died early on. You've done an amazing job to get it built and running so quickly. Hopefully a bit more time speny on it will have the problems ironed out for next time.

M135i, 197 turbo
Onwards and upwards #M135van
image.jpeg

M135i, 197 turbo
Got the engine out of the M135i and gave it a clean. Going to drop it off at a local garage I trust to get the timing belt, tensioners and water pump changed. Engines done an alleged 81k but as with all second hand engine who knows how it'll do, hopefully better than 7 laps ....
image.jpeg

Then this morning managed to do this

image.jpeg

So trip to A&E to get it glued back together. Did however manage to get all this lot cut out of the rear loom section. Rear just need tidying up and shortening in a few places. Still a load to come out from under the dash
image.jpeg

M135i, 197 turbo
Finger has healed enough to get going again. Picked this up over the weekend
IMG_0439.JPG

R26 diff off a guy on the RSMegane forum. He's just upgraded to a gripper and I can't justify the cost of one of those at the moment so this is the cheap alternative. Hopefully get it in the box this week and get the belt, tensioner, water pump and crank oil deal changed on the 'new' engine

Sounds like my week - crank seal, belts, diff, give the bottom end a clean oil pump etc

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

M135i, 197 turbo
Sounds like my week - crank seal, belts, diff, give the bottom end a clean oil pump etc

Think I'm going to move the shifter to where you put yours. Moved drivers seat back now cos of the pedal box and put a spacer behind the wheel so it's a real stretch to change gear.

Think I'm going to move the shifter to where you put yours. Moved drivers seat back now cos of the pedal box and put a spacer behind the wheel so it's a real stretch to change gear.
Yep its a much better position that underneath! few riv nuts and you'll need a metal plate thats spreads across the gap to bolt the front 2 bolts to as theres not enough meat on the edges to bolt it too.

Havent done the front two yet but thats the rear :)

8bba4fa08937a4cae36e5780d8dd28ed.jpg

M135i, 197 turbo
Couple of small jobs. Lowered the steel column with some m8 spacers as the wheel was sitting a bit high now it has the spacer fitted because of moving the seat back due to the pedal box. 4 bolts and spacers and a bit of dremmeling and feels better.
Also took the shifter out from underneath so I can mount it inside which will raise it up and allow it to be moved further back. Need some M8 threaded bar to get it fitted.
IMG_0441.JPG

Clio 172 (CUP)
Would be interested in a close up of how you dropped the steering column and parts before I tackle mine, cheers ;)

M135i, 197 turbo
Would be interested in a close up of how you dropped the steering column and parts before I tackle mine, cheers :wink:
No probs, can sort tonight but it's straight forward. Need some M8 spacers (ebay), m8 washers and I used high tensile bolts. There's then 4 bolts holding the column to the support. Literally a case of drop it down, elongate the mounting holes on the column as lowering it moves it forward slightly, and bolt back up. You might want to get a variety of thicknesses of spacers to get the angle/ drop you want

Clio 172 (CUP)
Great thanks, that seems fairly straight forward. Is any adjustment needed from the rack end at all?

M135i, 197 turbo
Great thanks, that seems fairly straight forward. Is any adjustment needed from the rack end at all?
Shouldn't be, or let me rephrase that as I haven't, drops down nicely as there's a universal joint in the column under the dash.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
No probs, can sort tonight but it's straight forward. Need some M8 spacers (ebay), m8 washers and I used high tensile bolts. There's then 4 bolts holding the column to the support. Literally a case of drop it down, elongate the mounting holes on the column as lowering it moves it forward slightly, and bolt back up. You might want to get a variety of thicknesses of spacers to get the angle/ drop you want

What length spacer did you get for them mate?

M135i, 197 turbo
its lowered about 20mm at the mo, just ordered some more spacers so I can tweak it once everything's back in.

Clio 172 (CUP)
Does look straight forward, guessing I'll have to remove the top dash for that. Thanks for sharing.

M135i, 197 turbo
Got the gearshift finished. Welded a plate over the old hole for the gear lever then drilled new holes for the shifter about 3 inches further back. Rear holes ended up inside a box section in the transmission tunnel so welded the bars into place then sealed around it. Job done.

Randomly decided to reinforce the bonnet whilst the weather was good. Bonnet's fibreglass and secured with aerocatches but the front flaps up and down badly so much so it's bound to fail at some point. Layered up a few sheets of fibreglass to reinforce it and going to add a central catch.

Also took the dash out as decided to get it flocked, place near here will do it for £40. So blanked off and filled the switch holes as I want to move them. Will drop off this week.
IMG_0449.JPG

You have a dash dodger right?! How the f**k do you get the dash out with one? I had to chop mine in half!

Yeh sorry shouod of said about the box section in the transmision tunnel haha, that why i went for riv nuts, got any pics of yours?

M135i, 197 turbo
First time, a while ago, I had to dismantle the front of the cage as like you say it looks like it wont come out, this time I managed to squeeze it out with a bit of bending. Forgot to take pictures of the shifter but pretty pleased with seat, wheel and shifter position now :smiley:. Was going to rivnut like you did but wanted to get it done so just welded it in. It aint coming out now

M135i, 197 turbo
Time to get going on this again. Finishing pulling the knackered engine earlier. Found the source of the massive oil leak, its pissing past the crank oil seal, clutch and flywheel still clean though thankfully. Also exhaust runner for cylinder three was coated with oil which matches up with the knackered spark plug. Going to take the head off this week and see what's occurred, intention is to rebuild with forged internals
IMG_0474.JPG

Photo doesn't do the leak justice, absolutely soaked with oil. Out of interest locked the crank in place and the timing was out
IMG_0475.JPG

Anyway transferred the intake, exhaust manifold, turbo, wiring etc to the replacement engine, stuck a new thermostat in, checked the turbo for play which has none so that's good. Steam cleaned the bay after welding up a couple of holes and going to paint it this week. Need to get a cambelt kit and water pump to get them installed.

Gear box and LSD have gone off for fitting as well

Sure you have the locking pin in the right place on the crank? the cams seem to be pointing the same way, just not level?

Im thinking my cranks seal is leaking also, or well i put it in incorrectly.., theres a little cover held on by a 10mm below the starter motor covering part of the flywheel and the oil is coming from behind there...

M135i, 197 turbo
Sure you have the locking pin in the right place on the crank? the cams seem to be pointing the same way, just not level?

Im thinking my cranks seal is leaking also, or well i put it in incorrectly.., theres a little cover held on by a 10mm below the starter motor covering part of the flywheel and the oil is coming from behind there...

The timing pic is from the knackered engine, the key way on the crank was between the two casting marks on the block like the manual said it should be so assume I had the crank in the correct place, either way only had a look out of curiosity. Just been painting the bay, next job is timing on the replacement engine so I can get it in tomorrow. Going to fill the engine with oil tomorrow as well to make sure the new crank seal doesn't leak

M135i, 197 turbo
Gearbox is back with R26 LSD in, below is the old open diff
IMG_0485.JPG

Changed the crank oil seal then got clutch built back up and gearbox on. Changed the timing belt, water pump, tensioners and idler. Tried it first without loosening the cam pulleys but the timing moved out when turning the engine over so redid it loosening the bolts, timings spot on and it's ready to go back in
IMG_0487.JPG

Also painted the bay last night
IMG_0483.JPG

M135i, 197 turbo
Getting there. Wish I had some holidays left I could take to get this finished sooner than later
IMG_0490.JPG

Looks good mate! Like the colour of the car, never properly noticed that - got any more pics?

M135i, 197 turbo
Looks good mate! Like the colour of the car, never properly noticed that - got any more pics?

Couple from oulton just before it blew and just after....
IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

Primer grey and satin black on the roof bonnet and tailgate, then some cheapo renaultsport stickers

Looks cool! Not sure on the side stickers personally but the top works, and not ott!

M135i, 197 turbo
Looks cool! Not sure on the side stickers personally but the top works, and not ott!

To be honest I think I agree with you. I like the roof, not 100% sold on the sides

M135i, 197 turbo
Any updates bud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, it's progressing. I'll update properly later in the week but essentially mechanically it's all back together, just working on the wiring. Got the dash back on Saturday morning and have fitted an RS250 cluster so that's ready to go in, then the switch panel needs wiring back up. Engine turns over but won't fire at the moment, assuming (and hoping) it's nothing more than there being zero fuel in the tank.

M135i, 197 turbo
Dash in. Had to dismantle the front of the cage which was a pain. Forgot I just bent it to get it out.... need to add a couple of support bars then wire up the panel.
IMG_0498.JPG

M135i, 197 turbo
Went to add the coolant and the water pump is leaking. New genuine Renault pump and gasket and nice clean mating surfaces, changed it when I did the cambelt. FFS.
Going to take the engine mount off tomorrow night and the plastic cover and hope it just needs a bolt nipping up otherwise will have to try and change it in situ which will be tight. No way I'm taking the bloody engine back out :rage:

Went to add the coolant and the water pump is leaking. New genuine Renault pump and gasket and nice clean mating surfaces, changed it when I did the cambelt. FFS.
Going to take the engine mount off tomorrow night and the plastic cover and hope it just needs a bolt nipping up otherwise will have to try and change it in situ which will be tight. No way I'm taking the bloody engine back out :rage:
Now you've got me worried, i was tempted to out a bit of sealent round it also ...

Gutted for you, its gonna be fooking tight!

M135i, 197 turbo
Now you've got me worried, i was tempted to out a bit of sealent round it also ...

Gutted for you, its gonna be fooking tight!

I only didn't add some sealant as I didn't have any to hand otherwise I would have done just in case... So pissed off last night, I'd only got a few jobs left to finish off

M135i, 197 turbo
Got the water pump changed, it's a faff of a job because of the space but didn't take long, worst bit was getting the covers off with the limited space. Went a bit overkill with the liquid gasket however filled the coolant and no more leaks.
IMG_0504.JPG

Finished tidying up the rear wiring and made some dash support bars out of aluminium tube, also sealed the firewall off where the wiring, gear linkage, heater pipes etc go through with some fire rated foam, used the large megane plastic "gromits" and used the foam to seal the remaining spaces.
IMG_0499.JPG

Got the door cards on as well with rivets and tiger seal, clamps there whilst the tiger seal goes off
IMG_0506.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0500.JPG
    IMG_0500.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 74