ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio turbo misfire/running rich

RB Clio 182
Hi everyone, for the past few days ive been having a few running problems with the clio turbo, to start with it was only doing it on cold mornings after it had been left over night.

For the first 3 or 4 minutes or so its been really sluggish and missfiring and bogging down, i have to put it in 2nd to get up a slight hill at 30mph etc, then after five minutes that problems goes and it runs much better, but its still not quite right, there is definitely a loss of power and black soot on the bumper above the exhaust tips and its drinking fuel!

So i have emailed chris at efi parts to ask him what he thinks it could be, he thinks it might be the map as he said its impossible to map it 100% perfect from cold in these winter months.

So he told me to download my map and email it him which i have done so he can adjust it to see if it helps with the cold running problems, but since that its been getting worse when its warm also, the revs keep falling below 500rpm and nearly stalling, i went to tesco yesterday and when i came out the car wouldnt start, it was turning over and trying but kept stalling, luckily a lad came and gave me a push so i could bump it home which i did.

So now im thinking it isnt the map but unfortunately chris at efi doesnt do emails over the weekend, but i have emailed him again to see if i can go to see him to see if he can sort the problem for me.

These are the things that i have changed these past few days to try and resolve the issue which havnt fixed it, i normally get it plugged in to see the problem before throwing money away, but with running the adaptronic ecu im not sure its as easy as that, and efi is 100 miles away 😧

I have changed the plugs today to new oem ones and the old ones were black and sooted up very black! I have cleaned the crank sensor, ive ordered a new coil pack and all the leads are newish genuine ones and look fine.

I have noticed that when i take a lead off the coil pack, they all arc and spark apart from the top right one, no.4 iirc, could this be the problem? I was thinking it may be that injector thats fooked, but all the plugs were black when i changed them today?

Its not a massive missfire, the car just feels sluggish and you can feel it, It is definitely down on power and as i say the revs drop below 500rpm like its struggling, the engine also sounds a bit tappier/noisier, although this might be in my head unless its because of the missfire.

Another thing, when i had the map tweaked the other month, chris at efi had to lower the boost a psi or so at the top end because he said it was leaning out like the fuel pump was on its way out, could this give the symptoms that i am having?

Anyone have any ideas before i travel 100 miles to efi parts?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Poor idle, bad running and increased fuel consumption would point towards the MAP sensor for me.

Although ideally, as you said, it'll be best to get it plugged in and checked.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
If you didn't have bad luck you'd have no luck!

I think with turbo clios you need to;

A) be really good with the spanners or

B) live next door to EFI

C) Have really deep pockets!

Hope it gets sorted. Any misfire issues I've had with clios have been down to lambdas.

RB Clio 182
have you got the wari software?
I downloaded it, downloaded my map and sent it to Chris but he doesnt reply over the weekend so im still waiting for a reply.

I havnt got the foggyiest clue how to read the info myself unfortunately:worried:

dan's cast offs.
you can use it to look at fuel trims and where any correction comes from, should point you in the right direction. will check if i can open it without it being plugged in to anything...

RB Clio 182
you can use it to look at fuel trims and where any correction comes from, should point you in the right direction. will check if i can open it without it being plugged in to anything...
Ok mate i have my map in my emails if i did it correctly, he told me to download wari, save my map and send it him, but im s**t with tech, turning the iron on the right setting seems a ballache to me!

Bloody tuning!

dan's cast offs.
doesn't open on it's own. if you want to email me your map i'll see if it can be opened with that and i can find the bit you need to look at? got a feeling it needs to be plugged in to an ecu though?

RB Clio 182
doesn't open on it's own. if you want to email me your map i'll see if it can be opened with that and i can find the bit you need to look at? got a feeling it needs to be plugged in to an ecu though?
Im not sure mate, i did it on my brothers laptop, then he emailed it to me, ill email you what i have if you pm me your email ad, im not sure if i have done it correctly tho mate but its worth a look.

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
Could it be lambda related? Where it switches from the cold map to the warm/hot map? Try to check the live data when cold, even if there is no warning light - could be flooding the engine when cold, or just as easily be starving it of fuel too depending on what the ECU is being told to do.

JON FOZ

ClioSport Club Member
  EVO 6
Do you run a fuel pressure regulator with that conversion ?

Does it take a few spins to get started from cold now ?

Jon

RB Clio 182
Do you run a fuel pressure regulator with that conversion ?

Does it take a few spins to get started from cold now ?

Jon
Yes it runs a fuel pressure regulator and it starts first time from cold.

Chris at efi parts has just emailed me back saying he cant see anything wrong with the map but he told me to send a log of it running rough and he might be able to point me in the right direction regarding sensors etc.

RB Clio 182
Could a faulty fuel pump relay/fuel pump cause these symptoms?

Anyone got a pic of the 182 fuel pump relay, im sure its under the bonnet but im unsure which one it is.

PH2 172
Could a faulty fuel pump relay/fuel pump cause these symptoms?

Anyone got a pic of the 182 fuel pump relay, im sure its under the bonnet but im unsure which one it is.

2009-04-24_174806_CLIO_Fuel_pump_relay_location.jpg

RB Clio 182
I think i have worked out the misfire, but i wont know until tomorrow.

I was thinking to myself earlier, since this misfire, the brake pedal has been really hard, so i have just been round to the garage and checked the plastic vacuum pipe for the brakes that comes off the back of the engine, and yes its got a big crease in it and a little split, so somehow its been trapped when the car has been taken apart and creased it in half!

Could this be the cause of the over fuelling and rough running? I havnt driven the car the past few days since its got worse.

Hopefully this will fix it, any ideas how to fix the pipe temporarily until i get a replacement? Its the plastic pipe the goes to the back of the inlet on the tb side. Its kinked double, could i snip it then join it with a small snug hose and small jubilee clips just to test it?

Where does this pipe lead to? Is it hard to change? Its this one, although i think this is a 172?

IMG_1161.JPG

dan's cast offs.
pull it out of the rubber pipe, cut it back a bit and then shove it back in the rubber pipe.

you should of said about the brake pedal in your first post:wink:

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
just cut the damaged section out and stick it back together in see what happens, looks to be some sort of vacuum pipe

RB Clio 182
the split is 12" long?
No, the split is tiny, it looks like the pipe has been creased in half but straightened out again but now its left with a crease and split.

The damage is about 10-12" away from the inlet.

Last edited:
  RB Clio 182
pull it out of the rubber pipe, cut it back a bit and then shove it back in the rubber pipe.

you should of said about the brake pedal in your first post:wink:
The brakes never registered i just thought it was with the icy mornings and i only really drive it to work and back 5-10 mins each way, but i thought ill go check :)

Ill update tomorrow:)

dan's cast offs.
ah!! ok, cut it at the split and then just join it back together with some rubber pipe. it's the vac take off for the servo, goes to the bulkhead and then across the back of the bay to the servo.

RB Clio 182
no just cut the kinked section/area out and tape the pipe back together to see if it sorts the issue, if it does then carry out a permanent repair :smile:
Sorry mate i was replying to bloke, i should have quoted, yea im going to do this but join in with hose and clips.

Cheers :)

JON FOZ

ClioSport Club Member
  EVO 6
Surely a split in this would cause your revs to rise higher than normal as it's behind the TB ?

While you're at it,pull the vacuum hose from your pressure regulator and check no fuel is passing.

Jon

dan's cast offs.
Surely a split in this would cause your revs to rise higher than normal as it's behind the TB ?

While you're at it,pull the vacuum hose from your pressure regulator and check no fuel is passing.

Jon

not necessarily as on idle it would have minimal if any and idle control would possibly sort it out, on boost it would open up and could then throw things out slightly and then have a slight effect when it goes back to idle/off boost.

also may not leak off boost and then leak on boost or the other way round.

RB Clio 182
Just fitted a new coil pack and repaired the vacuum line from the inlet and its still running s**t and misfiring, i couldnt get past 10mph on our street, when it finally revs past 3k it sort of brakes through the bogging down, but still down on power, when it warms up if i dont keep reving it when its in neutral it cuts out and wont start.

Iv just parked it in the garage and the fumes were burning my eyes literally, its overfuelling so much.

I have a lad that wants to come and view it, i just want it sorted for him so i can move on to something else.

I am going to my brothers in a bit to use his laptop to record a log of the poor running so i can send it efi parts to take a look for me.

Last edited:
  PH2 172
Just fitted a new coil pack and repaired the vacuum line from the inlet and its still running s**t and misfiring, i couldnt get past 10mph on our street, when it finally revs past 3k it sort of brakes through the bogging down, but still down on power, when it warms up if i dont keep reving it when its in neutral it cuts out and wont start.

Iv just parked it in the garage and the fumes were burning my eyes literally, its overfuelling so much.

I have a lad that wants to come and view it, i just want it sorted d for him so i can move on to something else.

I am going to my brothers in a bit to use his laptop to record a log of the poor running so i can send it efi parts to take a look for me.

Has it still got a cat?
If so, has it collapsed?

RB Clio 182
i'd be checking injectors next then, don't suppose you've got any spare ones?
I havnt mate no, im thinking about the cardboard trick but im unsure it gives you enough feedback :smiley:

Could it be the actual pump itself? Do these pack in often?