ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CNC thread

In my place we have a bellotti 5 axis, a CMS five axis and next door in the design department a Huge 5 axis used for milling full sized car models. Not allowed to take photos at work though

We've just had metal sintering installed in our place too. I'm doing my training course in a fortnight, I'll report back at let you know the deal with it.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
DMLS - Direct Metal LASER Sintering
Basically fill a bed with powdered steel/steel alloy/alu/bronze/Ti and fire a potent laser at it (Nd:YAG I believe) to melt the top surface, re-cover with powder, next layer etc etc.

Just saw this. So it's like 3D printing?

Need to get work to get into this stuff!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
MD at work last night "we should have bought another TC110 the other year". No s**t sherlock, 5 out of 6 machines we have are basically scrap metal. Now we've got 600 hours on 1 job that's supposed to be done by April and they can't even find anywhere to sub it out to. #runbyidiots

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
No longer machining but here's a little update on the jobs I've been doing. Dat lacquer. Mmmmm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

MD at work last night "we should have bought another TC110 the other year". No s**t sherlock, 5 out of 6 machines we have are basically scrap metal. Now we've got 600 hours on 1 job that's supposed to be done by April and they can't even find anywhere to sub it out to. #runbyidiots

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Pray tell?

We may be able to help.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Pray tell?

We may be able to help.
F that, I'm keeping my overtime to myself [emoji1]. Finally got some inserts for the biring bars I persuaded them to buy 2 months ago so that's saved 1.5 hours off every part. 2 week break down hasn't helped, and I'm expecting them to try and cancel my week off at easter.

I like turtles

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
F that, I'm keeping my overtime to myself [emoji1]. Finally got some inserts for the biring bars I persuaded them to buy 2 months ago so that's saved 1.5 hours off every part. 2 week break down hasn't helped, and I'm expecting them to try and cancel my week off at easter.

I like turtles

Grabbing b*****d :p

We've just got a boring bar set after asking for ages. I've not been able to use it though, my machine interpolates everything lol

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Grabbing b*****d [emoji14]

Yep, me too [emoji23]

Our top 2 gaffer's are platers by trade so they think you can machine everything with just one tool. Yes we can interpolate bores, but it takes a lot longer which I've just proven to them now they've bought some tooling.

I like turtles

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Yep, me too [emoji23]

Our top 2 gaffer's are platers by trade so they think you can machine everything with just one tool. Yes we can interpolate bores, but it takes a lot longer which I've just proven to them now they've bought some tooling.

I like turtles

I've had bosses like that. "Can't you take bigger cuts?!"

"...on this surface grinder?! No."

Oh yeah, I wasn't saying interpolating was better, just that I never get to do it the quicker and better way lol

Is that turtle thing a signature you've left on or are you typing it each time lol?

Training on metal sintering this week. Is pretty interesting, but the powdered metal seems pretty harmful. Fine enough to penetrate skin and explosive with static. Fun.

I've got a video of the machine working I'll get up in time but in the mean time here's a part sintered from aluminium

Attachments

• 20170411_150035.jpg
    20170411_150035.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 127

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Training on metal sintering this week. Is pretty interesting, but the powdered metal seems pretty harmful. Fine enough to penetrate skin and explosive with static. Fun.

I've got a video of the machine working I'll get up in time but in the mean time here's a part sintered from aluminium
make some front wishbones!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
im well aware this isn't in the same league as other stuff in this thread, but it is a project ive been working on for my 5 year old daughter.

I got given some American dark walnut wood

DSC_7140_zpstz28xytr.jpg

I glued some oak to it to give it the required depth and put it in the cnc router

DSC_7210_zpsbiatfaoq.jpg

due to speed and feed rate, machine size and stability, it took just over an hour to do one pocket with an 8mm end mill. there were a number of pockets

DSC_7214_zps0zgwh2yg.jpg

DSC_7252_zpsqx43y1cz.jpg

put the other half in for the lid

DSC_7259_zpsir2sxmc4.jpg

rounded

DSC_7264_zpsa6y1hj7e.jpg

engraved the required design by my daughter

DSC_7266_zpsshhjqbnv.jpg

flipped over and machined under side of lid

DSC_7274_zpsdk1ujkpw.jpg

started putting together to check everything

DSC_7300_zpsi1et80go.jpg

DSC_7301_zpsslzryjfu.jpg

DSC_7302_zpsqa7ajljk.jpg

each part got 6 coats of clear lacquer

DSC_7311_zpshsvwxywe.jpg

DSC_7312_zpsa6lpfh1f.jpg

DSC_7313_zpskchxpqh0.jpg

coloured the engraving, red is perfect the gold hasn't come out well at all.

DSC_7329_zpskpisgm2v.jpg

flocked the inside

DSC_7334_zpsyuj7c6cf.jpg

and about 25 hours of work later...

DSC_7330_zps8nsoj4pv.jpg

I need to have another go at the gold

DSC_7331_zpsoh7eszyq.jpg

DSC_7332_zpsyufp50sx.jpg

DSC_7337_zpskiehekd8.jpg

DSC_7339_zpsen04sqwl.jpg

Renault Clio RS Cup
im well aware this isn't in the same league as other stuff in this thread, but it is a project ive been working on for my 5 year old daughter.

I got given some American dark walnut wood

DSC_7140_zpstz28xytr.jpg

I glued some oak to it to give it the required depth and put it in the cnc router

DSC_7210_zpsbiatfaoq.jpg

due to speed and feed rate, machine size and stability, it took just over an hour to do one pocket with an 8mm end mill. there were a number of pockets

DSC_7214_zps0zgwh2yg.jpg

DSC_7252_zpsqx43y1cz.jpg

put the other half in for the lid

DSC_7259_zpsir2sxmc4.jpg

rounded

DSC_7264_zpsa6y1hj7e.jpg

engraved the required design by my daughter

DSC_7266_zpsshhjqbnv.jpg

flipped over and machined under side of lid

DSC_7274_zpsdk1ujkpw.jpg

started putting together to check everything

DSC_7300_zpsi1et80go.jpg

DSC_7301_zpsslzryjfu.jpg

DSC_7302_zpsqa7ajljk.jpg

each part got 6 coats of clear lacquer

DSC_7311_zpshsvwxywe.jpg

DSC_7312_zpsa6lpfh1f.jpg

DSC_7313_zpskchxpqh0.jpg

coloured the engraving, red is perfect the gold hasn't come out well at all.

DSC_7329_zpskpisgm2v.jpg

flocked the inside

DSC_7334_zpsyuj7c6cf.jpg

and about 25 hours of work later...

DSC_7330_zps8nsoj4pv.jpg

I need to have another go at the gold

DSC_7331_zpsoh7eszyq.jpg

DSC_7332_zpsyufp50sx.jpg

DSC_7337_zpskiehekd8.jpg

DSC_7339_zpsen04sqwl.jpg

That's amazing... You've just won this thread Andy....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
Engineer for the machine was in yesterday, 6k of repairs as the drive box is on its way out! Really hope work decide on upgrading as the old girl is getting old! #5axis [emoji7]

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
Shat my knickers earlier was face cutting with a 60mm cutter 6mm deep and I put G0 instead of G1 the part shifted 40mm in the vice [emoji23]

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Face milling with a 60mm cutter at 6mm deep, your living the dream.

I only own one face mill and it's 110mm and I do depth of cuts of 0.2mm

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Shat my knickers earlier was face cutting with a 60mm cutter 6mm deep and I put G0 instead of G1 the part shifted 40mm in the vice [emoji23]

I was working with the datum at the bottom of the job for the first time in ages the other day. Machining to +41mm or something.

I put a rapid to z25 in out of habit. Bricks were shat but luckily I was on the feed hold and rapid knob lol

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
f**king miracles do happen! My tool changer is fixed. We've been hand loading tools for nearly 6 months but now all the tools are back in the magazine and I can stay at on my arse for longer [emoji4]. Not only is it fixed, it's fixed fully. It only had one gripper so had to remove the tool and then load the next one. Efficiency you say? Not here! Well now we have both grippers working. It's only taken 7 years [emoji15]. I'm at work and I'm very nearly hsppy[emoji16].