ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Code Reader

I have a service & airbag light on, and also an engine light on, on my 172 cup.

Ideally I'd like to know the cause, and turn them off.

Will any eBay code reader do the job? Will I need any software? Not bothered about mapping or anything, so an RS tuner is a bit pointless.

Cheers

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
You'll be able to turn the engine light off, but it'll just come back on again until the fault is fixed

Wait, what?! Damn, there goes that plan.

Seriously though, I know. On my 182 I fitted a decat, which caused the engine light to come on, even when the original cat went back in, it remained. I never got round to it, but I was told it just needed turning off and because the original cat was back in, it wouldn't return.

I think the previous owner had a decat at some point, so for now the plan was to knock the engine light off and see if it comes back.

The airbag light is almost certainly because there's been some dodgy wiring done under the seat, by someone before I owned the car. Again, the plan was to fix the wiring, knock off the lights and see if they come back, as part of the diagnostic process.

Shame I can't just wave a wand at it though...

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Air bags go off when fixed they dont need turning off. A cheapo ebay reader will inform you of codes/issues so a decent budget buy

172 cup
If it's had a decat on and not been mapped it will bring on the engine light probable p0420 cat efficiency as the cats not been working as there ain't one lol a cheap code reader of eBay will clear this if you have put the cat back if not it will just come back on that's if this is the fault either way you'll be able to read the codes and go from there

as for the air bag the connections on airbag systems are very very sensitive to any voltage changes no mater how small it can often be as simple as moving the seat and it pulling the wire slightly bringing the light on clios are very common for this so I'd start with the yellow plugs under both front seats with the ignition off pull them appart and slightly bend the contacts so they are a tighter fit in the plug and put them back together if you luck this will do it and the light should go out hope this helps