ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cold air feed to origional air box

RB Clio 182
Hi, i currently have a bmc cda induction kit fitted to my 182, its a large one and its too big for the engine bay to fit a cold air feed to, so im going to put my origional airbox back in and get a sports panel filter along with a longer cold air feed pipe.

Im wanting to know if anyone has bought a longer cold air feed, as the origional one that goes behind the headlight doesnt look like it would do much, so im wanting to fit a longer feed and place it somewhere where more air will flow freely up it.

As anyone done this, and does anyone know the diameter of the origional air feed that goes behind the headlight so i can fit it on the plastic parts that slot into the airbox? Also, whats the other feed at the bottom of the airbox for? Is it the water drain pipe?

Thanks Tom.

I made a cold air feed from the bottom grille up to the airbox

Parts were:
Air scoop
76mm ducting
2X 90mm heat shrinks

Got it all from Merlin Motorsport

Will take pics tomorrow if you want?

RB Clio 182
I made a cold air feed from the bottom grille up to the airbox

Parts were:
Air scoop
76mm ducting
2X 90mm heat shrinks

Got it all from Merlin Motorsport

Will take pics tomorrow if you want?

Yes if you will mate :)

Have you plumbed one into the bottom hole in the airbox too?

Whats the acoustic valve and where is it placed? Is this attached to the plastic cold air feed that goes behind the headlight?

Ok will do man :)

And I completely removed the acoustic valve (common modification)

The bottom hole in the airbox should have another cold air feed that attaches to the slam panel right next to the headlight. I left this standard and modified the CAF from the acoustic valve. Will try and find the exact bits I used when I'm at my laptop tomorrow and get pics ;)

Last edited:
  RB Clio 182
Ok will do man :)

And I completely removed the acoustic valve (common modification)

The bottom hole in the airbox should have another cold air feed that attaches to the slam panel right next to the headlight. I left this standard and modified the CAF from the acoustic valve. Will try and find the exact bits I used when I'm at my laptop tomorrow and get pics ;)

Nice one mate, post everything up ill need and take some piccys of how you did yours ,thanks :)

Hello mate found the invoice from Merlin and these were the bits I used:

1 x 76MM BLACK SINGLE LAYER DUCTING (PER METRE)

1 x BLACK SIDE AIR SCOOP INLET/OUTLET
1 x REVOTEC DUCT JOINING SLEEVE 90MM ID (Pair)

8198980923_3d23448cd5_q.jpg

Homemade CAF (1) by Jon_KTM, on Flickr

8200072158_7e59ab6ce8_q.jpg

Homemade CAF (2) by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
You can see the secondary air feed I was talking about on the left. This snakes its way under a recess in the airbox and attaches to the oval hole at the back. I left this bit standard.

8200071794_38f5c540cb_q.jpg

Homemade CAF (3) by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
I cut off the old air pipe and cut off some of the hard plastic connector to make it wider so the air had a cleaner path into the 'box. I used black silicone, one of the heat shrinks then finished it off with insulating tape as it can get messy and my advice is too do this with 2 people as it's very hard to hold everything in place whilst using a heat gun!

8200071478_a60fd46892_q.jpg

Homemade CAF (4) by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
I drilled some small holes in the air duct and used small zip ties to keep it in place on the lower grille. I also drilled out the grille under the towing eye slot to aid in air flow. I need to neaten it up and square up the holes but tbh I can't be bothered! It was also zip tied a this end but I had the bumper off yesterday and it was OK not to use them after this.
Thinking about it I think I also used a hacksaw to cut away the step in the scoop outlet
Link to air inlet - http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p10634/BLACK-SIDE-AIR-SCOOP-INLET/OUTLET/product_info.html

8198979535_c6631e72e1_q.jpg

Homemade CAF (5) by Jon_KTM, on Flickr
This is a bit of heat mat that my mate gave me. The same stuff plumbers use when they're brazing pipes and don't want to burn what's behind. This is just for when the air con is being used as ironically the pipes get hot! and the piping is touching here.

Hope this helps and makes sense to you :)

Jon