ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Complete electrical failure

clio 172
So I haven't had the best evening I went to a friends house to change my front brake pads and brake fluid ready for a track day on Saturday. We finished up I jumped in the car drove it a few feet and all the electrics started shutting down. I first lost the heater controls I had an abs light on then the stop and battery light. I then smelt what I think was burning electrics so I turned the car of. I then tried starting it again and I didn't try to start and in the space of three minutes all the electrics shut down so no lights anywhere no central locking completely dead so we connected the battery to my mates car and it put no power into it. I'm not good with electrics so don't really know where to start I down see how it can be connected to what we did with the brakes but it seems like it has to be ?
Any help would be massively appreciated because as I say I don't know where to start and the cars stuck round my mates house unlocked and I would of course love to make my track day on Saturday

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
Do you have breakdown cover with AA, RAC etc? They'll be able to come out and diagnose it I expect. Did you leave anything on whilst doing the breaks? Radio? Open door?

Could be the battery or it could be a loose earth, check the main earth strap on the gearbox (passenger front arch). I'd also check your battery itself hasn't failed.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Any smoke from the alternator? My packed up a few weeks ago, burning smell and smoke then everything went off, no electrics at all. I was on my way to work and had to ditch it there until the next day. I couldn't unlock it with the plip, but I could with the key in the passenger door lock. Maybe you could lock it that way?

clio 172
Do you have breakdown cover with AA, RAC etc? They'll be able to come out and diagnose it I expect. Did you leave anything on whilst doing the breaks? Radio? Open door?

Could be the battery or it could be a loose earth, check the main earth strap on the gearbox (passenger front arch). I'd also check your battery itself hasn't failed.
Hi I have AA cover so I'm going to get them out after work I had the boot open so the light was on but the car started up ok to pull it out the garage and then I left it there for an hour and it started again after that. I don't know if there where any lights up on the dash when I first stated it because I didn't really look down I just started it abs pulled it out. When you say passenger front arch is it easily visible when you open the bonnet ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clio 172
Any smoke from the alternator? My packed up a few weeks ago, burning smell and smoke then everything went off, no electrics at all. I was on my way to work and had to ditch it there until the next day. I couldn't unlock it with the plip, but I could with the key in the passenger door lock. Maybe you could lock it that way?
Hi quite possibly that could of bean the smell ? I tried to lock it that way but wasn't Evan enough power for that we got it back to my mates house so should be ok until tonight how did you diagnose the alternator ? The smoke I assume

clio 172
If it was the alternator me connecting it to my mates car would of put a bit of life into it wouldn't it ?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
If it was the alternator me connecting it to my mates car would of put a bit of life into it wouldn't it ?

I don't know mate to be honest . I was just thinking how similar yours sounds that happened to mine . Like oVerboost said , its could also be your earth or battery .

clio 172
I don't know mate to be honest . I was just thinking how similar yours sounds that happened to mine . Like oVerboost said , its could also be your earth or battery .
Hopefully it's something that simple hoping the AA will be able to help tonight

clio 172
So iv just bean looking at alternators and they range from £90 to £190 is there any reason not to get the cheaper one ?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
They'll be refurbed / exchange at that price . Mine was £205 supplied and fitted at a local garage . I'm not that clued up on alternators , I understand if you have aircon you'll need the 110 amp version. I haven't got a clue why there's such a big difference in price . Maybe someone else will have more info?