ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Connecting Belkin router to BT HH5 issues

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I just purchased a brand new Belkin ac1000 wireless router to use in my garage, but am not getting any internet.

in the house is the BT HH5, and the ac1000 is plugged into one of the ports on the back. but just says no internet connection.

why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like the AC1000 is a modem and router combined, it's not really designed to share an existing connection and TBH it's complete overkill if all you want to do is extend an existing network from an existing HH5. You might be able to configure it to do the job but you could probably do it much more cheaply.

What are you looking to do, run an ethernet cable from the HH5 into the garage and have another wi-fi access point in there?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Looks like the AC1000 is a modem and router combined, it's not really designed to share an existing connection and TBH it's complete overkill if all you want to do is extend an existing network from an existing HH5. You might be able to configure it to do the job but you could probably do it much more cheaply.

What are you looking to do, run an ethernet cable from the HH5 into the garage and have another wi-fi access point in there?
I've already ran a cable from hh5 into my garage and currently I've got a hh4 in there as a WiFi access point. But it's really s**t and doesn't work very well. So I got the Belkin

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Plug the belkin straight into a laptop or PC, give it an IP address that's not the same as your current router and set it to wireless access point mode or wireless gateway.

Then plug it into the

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I'd just get a dedicated wireless access point, you're paying for stuff you don't need with the Belkin and as welshname says you'll need to configure it to run as an access point - should be possible but depends on the firmware, some Belkin kit is very restricted as to what you can do but that's pretty basic so hopefully OK.

If you can return the Belkin then you could get something like this instead which is designed for the job and a lot cheaper:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004UBU8IE/?tag=cliospnet01-21

SQ5
You need a Wireless Access Point, shouldn't run two routers on a network as it confuses the f**k out of everything

And Belkin stuff is terrible.