ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Conrod Weights

Clio 182 Trophy
After a big end failure on my 182 engine, I bought a donor F4r736, to use the crank and one rod. The weights of the conrods from my engine were roughly 600g, and the weights from the donor engine were roughly 640g. There were no signs of weight being taken off the rods (at least not 40g!) so I was wondering whether this is Renault tolerance or if different F4r engines had different conrods?
Thanks in advance

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I would say that's just tolerances that renault will allow mate tbh. I've never seen different rods in f4r's before (as in 730, 736, 738 & 830) but they're slightly different on the 225/230.
Has it spun the centre main causing the big ends to fail? Or just the big ends are sounding like Woody woodpecker?

Clio 182 Trophy
Hmmm ok thanks, looks like I'll just have to use the full set of heavier rods..
Broken ring land, chucked out all its oil and nipped the big end! For some reason the oil pressure warning light never came on!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hmmm ok thanks, looks like I'll just have to use the full set of heavier rods..
Broken ring land, chucked out all its oil and nipped the big end! For some reason the oil pressure warning light never came on!
Are they all 640g's? As in the heavier ones? If not I'd get them all dynamically balanced along with the crank, pistons, flywheel and crank pulley.

Clio 182 Trophy
Give or take a few grams. The plan was to balance the new one to match the others which had all been done before. I'm just not so keen on using a set which are roughly 40grams heavier each!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Give or take a few grams. The plan was to balance the new one to match the others which had all been done before. I'm just not so keen on using a set which are roughly 40grams heavier each!
Don't weigh any steel rods for these engines then mate. You may be upset! Lol! They're a lot heavier.

So what engine has the crank and rods come out of? The cranks in the 736 ain't the best, but the 738 isn't too bad. 730 is the one to go for if you can find one.

Clio 182 Trophy
Don't weigh any steel rods for these engines then mate. You may be upset! Lol! They're a lot heavier.

So what engine has the crank and rods come out of? The cranks in the 736 ain't the best, but the 738 isn't too bad. 730 is the one to go for if you can find one.
The heavier rods and the new crank are from an engine sold as a 736, but it had a 182 cam cover and the number has flaked away so can't really see what it is for sure! The lighter rods were from a 738.

Clio 182 Trophy

Attachments

• IMG_5364.JPG
    IMG_5364.JPG
    326.1 KB · Views: 89