ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant leak

Hi all, my 172 needs its coolant topping up every week and I am wondering if it could be a head gasket issue.

There are no signs of leaking from the water pump or expansion tank, but there is plenty of evidence of dried coolant down the front of the engine.

It doesn’t have any white smoke coming out the exhaust though, and no mayo under the oil filler cap.

Oil also needs topping up regularly though, although not as often as the coolant.

Does this sound like head gasket failure?

There seems to be a fair bit of leakage! I took a photo to show where I think it is leaking from.
It’s not had the head done in my ownership but I’ve only only it a year so it may have before!
6C8ACB62-A558-42E0-A92F-A36A5EC84753.jpeg

dan's cast offs.
i've known a few have the head done but not torqued up properly and they leak from along the front. give it a good clean up, run it and see if you've got any signs of it leaking again. have a quick look at the cam end caps and if you want cam oil seals and see if they look new as well.

I must have been on to something as yesterday I had engine failure on the way to work and it has seized up. Although the expansion tank is still showing plenty of coolant in it, a lot of coolant is now visible round the entire head.

I bought another engine, getting the belts done again and it'll be fitted next week.

2/4 of the Clio 172, 182's I've owned have had engine failure despite me spending a fortune on servicing them and having the belts done. ?