ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant Problems - High Temp/Rises Quickly

Clio Sport 182
Thinking logically about this, you say the temp stays steady if you dont drive the car hard but then, if you open it up, the temp shoots up? If you then slow back down and take it easy then the temp drops back to normal. If that is the case, then i'd say one of two things is the probem. There is a head gasket problem, but you'd notice this elsewhere ie in the expansion bottle, loss of water etc, or, there is a restriction to flow.(system not up to the task) You say the thermostat works, but i have seen a similar thing before. Firstly prove the radiator core isn't blocked (probably ony do this by using a different radiator) but then, and I know this is a pain, you might find it worthwhile looking at the hoses. What I found once was a coolant hose internal had failed and one of the rubber plys had come loose inside, and this restrcited the piping diameter. When removed, the rubber fell back into place and it was only by chance I noticed a loose flap of rubber inside a piece of hose. The pipe was being blocked approx 2/3 when water flowed through it. When there was no major cooling requirement there was enough flow to keep everything cool, but as soon as the engine was being used hard, there was insufficient flow. I've seen people fit engine components with blanked off gaskets, so no oil/coolant etc flows at all, and also bits of rag, jointing material in places where it shouldn't be. I once was working inside a marine diesel engine (Pistons 900mm bore, stroke 2300mm) and in the crankcase I found a full size beach towel!! It had to have been there for at least 3 months! :eek:
Do keep us informed of what you find. Always useful info.

Clio Sport 182
Just re-read the thread and if it turns out to be a fuelling problem, it'll be running exceptionally lean and you'll be lucky to not have damage to the pistons.

Right then, been a bit busy past few days but Ive checked it out a bit more...

Mark123 - Radiator gets hot all over as usual, so I don't think its blocked etc

S76Pilot - Correct, it heats up if you drive it hard, cools down when you slow down and cruise at low RPM (delay of a few minutes to cool down though).. As you say the thermostat is new etc (ive tried 3 diff ones now which I know all work testing them out of the car), and the head gasket is only 10k old. I know they can fail at anytime but Ive never had the problem of one before, and its not really heard of on here. The coolant does not seem to have any oil in it, the level is remaining exactly the same and the oil level is all OK..

I have a spare radiator that I could try but with this one getting hot all over I think its fine, also if I get it to 2500rpm when sat still and up to temp I can see the coolant returning through the small top hose. Luckily ive not got many hoses, only the bare block-radiator-bottle ones, so they wouldnt be hard to check - might be something worth trying. Im going to try and bleed it again later and see, but I highly doubt it will make any difference

Clio Sport 182
You flushed radiator from top to bottom? the water would find it's own way out. It might be worth getting the radiator recored if it's cheaper than a new one. Or is there a larger alternative that would fit? As I said before, i'm really not up to speed on the Clio yet, having only owned mine for 2 days, but i think your problem, once discovered will be quite an obvious one if all was well before. I can't wait to find out what you eventually find as I love the whole problem solving thing!

Yeah, had it off the car and had the jetwash in both the inlet/outlet..

Radiator should easy be upto the job its the 172 one, and with no heater matrix there is less of the system there anyway. New radiators are pretty cheap, ive got a spare that I know is OK too anyway..

Il have to have a proper look tomorrow!

Clio Sport 182
oh well, either a blockage somewhere (internal hose failure as mentioned) or head gasket then. I just can't see it being anything else. Good luck on your quest.

Fuel pump changed, it went OK for a bit, did a 100 mile run and it never went over half. Then randomly it started going up and down all day for a while, then its been fine since. Last night I got it upto temp, then sat parked up holding it at 3k rpm for a while, temp went up the slightest bit as expected, let off and it went back to normal.

Ive bled the coolant through since and checked all the hoses, everything seems fine. Im all outta ideas now....no doubt itl start going up and down again now ive bumped this thread back up!

I'm thinking head gasket, but before going down that road is the running bleed flowing? That's the smaller pipe from the stat housing to the header tank.

Yeah, headgasket was done in March/April 2009, ran fine all year apart from a bit of smoking (stem seals). Had it off in Jan/Feb 2010 replaced them, head skimmed at same time along with a new HG, been fine since then zero oil usage or smoking up until this coolant problem started...

ITB'd MK1
just re-read from the start, struggling to think it can be anything but a head gasket breach now. You use a decent torque wrench and an accurate angle gauge on the headbolts?

Yeah proper Teng jobby torque wrench wise, seperate angle gauge too and all seemed well. Used same equipment last time round and it was fine...

If it was a HG problem wouldnt I be loosing water?

I think im just gona have to leave it be, only got this month for it to last then its being put away for winter, hopefully it will just keep on what its doing and last..

Fitted a brand new coolant temp sensor today after the problem seemed to get worse a few days back, rising high then never dropping. Bled the system again and it seems to have made no difference at all... So I did a bit of a video. After the gauge goes to the top, it remains there for a while, then when driving it will not go any lower. All of a sudden it will drop back to the middle and sit there for a while...

All outta ideas - Thing is, if its acctually over heating (or has a problem somewhere) I dont want to be taking it to Angelesy at the end of the month. The problem only started on track at Oulton on the 1st Sept, ive never had anything of the sort before, so im not entirely sure whats caused it!

Last edited by a moderator:
  ITB'd MK1
going back to fuel supply, as it seemed to help before. What filters are their in your fuel circuit? just the one in the pump housing?

Yeah, the standard one on the bottom of the pump housing which I checked when I had it out, was clean and seemed OK. Along with the standard Mk1 one 'in line' near the tank, replaced it around 4k ago..

Edit - Must add, the video above, I never went above 2.5k when driving at all, apart from those blips when parked up. Its not even high RPM's causing it anymore, its just general driving..

No idea, the radiator gets very very hot after a good drive, but it could be normal - as ive never had to check before, i dont know what sort of temp to the touch it should be etc...

Got no other means of measuring it really... Ive not tried without a thermostat, yet. Might give it a go tomorrow, but it still baffles me how it just started happening halfway though the day at Oulton and its been doing it since, really wierd.

Ive got the OBD port wired up, but wont that just tell you the same temp that the sensor is reading (and displaying on the dash?)...

Anyway I acctually think it could possibly be headgasket/engine related, as when I removed the thermostat earlier the water that came out looked to have oil in it. Although, I cant even say its lost any oil in the past 10k as ive not even had to top it up..

Ibiza FR
Ive got the OBD port wired up, but wont that just tell you the same temp that the sensor is reading (and displaying on the dash?)....

Had the same problem when my MAP sensor was playing up, Live data was showing it was playing up even with brand new one but when checked with a manual gauge, pressure was fine. I guess you will have to use an external thermometer and compare it to what it should be?

Checked wiring for coolant temp sensor, all is well.

Fitted some new NGK's, and had the fuel pump out again. Swapped the actual pump unit with a 50k Williams one (as I didnt trust the 180k valver one that was currently in after swapping from the 172 unit last week). Given it a good drive over the past few days and its been fine, never once gone above half and stays below the halfway mark once moving now. Very very odd, but I wonder how long it will last now........................

Was fine for the past 10 days, never once went up the gauge etc.

Today I removed the old (original) braided earth strap from the chassis-to-gearbox (which was breaking away at one end), cleaned up all the surfaces and replaced it with a proper lead. The car seems to start much better/quicker now. Although, it seems to never get up to temperature, the gauge never gets over 1/4. Now I dont know if it is and the gauge is fu*ked, or if its acctually not getting upto temperature...

Clio 172
I am having the very same problem on my 172.
A month ago or so, one night I gave it a shot on the MW, as I hit hard in 4th and 5th the temp slowly got up 'till the end of the scale.
I lifted off the throttle immediately and the gauge went down almost immediately, let's say from top to mid in three secs or so.
Got the car to the mechanic, he did a pressure test, a contamination test and he excluded the head gasket.
He said one good simpthom of a bad head gasket is the car not starting properly and running on 2 or 3 for the first 4 or 5 secs, but mine was doing good.
Using a special tester he found no traces of oil or exhaust gases in the cooling liquid, so it was not the head gasket.
But he said, when testing the car, that the thing was actually worse with headlights on.
So he tought of a bad ground.
He run an extra ground cable from battery to the very near of the sensor, and the problem seemed to be gone.
I also noticed the car started much better, and idle was much much better (I am running goup N cams and idle was really rough in the first two mins).
The car run fine 'till yesterday at the Mugello track event.
Only in the last two laps of the third of 25 mins rounds of the day, it went the same.
I lifted off the throttle and temp went down in two or three turns, and never got up again.
It all started since I got the gearbox off the car to install the LSD and the final drive.

I really thing is an electrical problem, and I will check for all the grounds in the engine bay.

Does someone have a pic of the ground strap on gearbox and chassis?

ITB'd MK1

Today I removed the old (original) braided earth strap from the chassis-to-gearbox (which was breaking away at one end), cleaned up all the surfaces and replaced it with a proper lead. The car seems to start much better/quicker now. Although, it seems to never get up to temperature, the gauge never gets over 1/4. Now I dont know if it is and the gauge is fu*ked, or if its acctually not getting upto temperature...

I've just stumbled upon this again jord. Could be that from previous overheating that you've cooked the thermostat so it's open all the time

Yeah, possibly was as the inner rubber seal was split when I took it out too. I replaced it before Anglesey and it was fine on the day, its been parked up ever since. Will just have to see how it is next year, although it wont matter as much as it will be going from place to place on a trailer from now on, unlike before when it was on the road daily!

PH1 172

Not sure what arrangement you took yours from but if it was from a ph1 172 the temp needle always sits around the 1/4 mark and will only creep up to near the 1/2 way mark when in traffic for a while. I say ph1 172 arrangement lightly as I am not sure why it does it only on the ph1s and not the ph2s. This was said when myself and a few others commented on their temp gauges and was told that the ph1 sat lower for some reason.......so with yours sitting at 1/4 mark and not rising could be ok.

Hmmm, well for the previous 16 months or so it sat just under half and never moved, as does a couple of the other 172'd Mk1s running the Ph1 clocks. Weird one!

ITB'd MK1
Not sure what arrangement you took yours from but if it was from a ph1 172 the temp needle always sits around the 1/4 mark and will only creep up to near the 1/2 way mark when in traffic for a while. I say ph1 172 arrangement lightly as I am not sure why it does it only on the ph1s and not the ph2s. This was said when myself and a few others commented on their temp gauges and was told that the ph1 sat lower for some reason.......so with yours sitting at 1/4 mark and not rising could be ok.

shouldn't do. Lots of cars needing thermostats by the sound of it

PH1 172
shouldn't do. Lots of cars needing thermostats by the sound of it

Russ_16v was one of the guys on here that asked the question and one of the responses was from Fred saying that the ph1s are different......mine has always been sat around the 1/4 mark for about 4 years now so I hope there is nothing wrong with my thermostat....

Last edited: