ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Correct cam shaft locking potition ?

Ph1 172 turbo
Hi. This may seem a silly question but having read the below manual I'm still left unsure as to which position the cam shaft should be in to fit the locking tool.

IMG_2466.PNG

Should the larger half be at the top or bottom. Is the below image incorrect ?

IMG_2463.JPG

The next little question is Iv read that it is advisable to upgrade to a crank pulley with a key way the prevent timing slipping on engines running a turbo. If I do this how do I tension the belt as normally this is done with all pulleys floating !

Thanks any advice/comments welcome.

Ph1 172 turbo
Thanks bloke. Good job I asked .

Hopefully somebody can advise on the fitting of a crank pulley with a key way, Or if it is worth the hassle!

renault clio 1.4 16v
keyed crank sprockets have been used when modding the engine for more power, turbos etc so they are available, but if the engine is standard then theres not much worry of it slipping if its tightened up properly...

Hopefully somebody can advise on the fitting of a crank pulley with a key way, Or if it is worth the hassle!
Easily done imo, I had my cams in 180° out when refitted... Luckily just turning it over by hand.

dan's cast offs.

it's pretty much a belt job again to change the bottom pulley. you don't have to take the lower belt cover off at least though.

Ph1 172 turbo
Ye mine is running a turbo. And Im currently rebuilding the engine with forged pistons and rods new belts etc after previous engine failure .
IMG_2400.JPG
That's why I'm hoping to fit the keyed bottom pulley. I think I'll give it ago following the normal fitting procedure but obviously will have to remove the crank pin to turn engine over to equalise tension then reinsert the crank pin to tighten cam pulleys and bottom pulley. Any thoughts ?

renault clio 1.4 16v
cam pulleys can be tightened using the cam locking tool, there is also a flywheel locking tool to lock the crank that goes inplace of the tdc sensor, or u can grab a mate with a big screwdriver, make sure you take the horse shoe out when tightening else you could bend it... tighten everything up then recheck the timing and tension after a few spins