ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crackly 6x9

1.2 16V 2004
ive recently brought some new Vibe Slicks and they were working for quite a wile fine and also working well with my sub. But i realised today for the first time i had a full car that all of a suden when the bass kicked in and the volume was about 15 and above the music just started to crackle, when i got home i took the 6x9 wires out the back and the music was playing fine, has anyone got any ideas about what might be wrong?
i dont think its the 6x9 becuase they are only 3 days old and al the wires seem to be fine and untouched.
any ideads?
thanks

is it just the 6x9s?might be the rear channels on the hu amp have gone pop,try another set of speakers on it from a friend,etc.if no crackling speakers are knackered

145db Euro'd clio
if you've wired them up to the rear speakers with the rears still running then that'll make them crackle, had this problem with my mates car. you need to either have one or the other running, you cant run both sets of speakers off the same wires on the headunit as you'll only be running about 20watts to each speaker. which is awful and will cut the quality dramatically. if its not, check that on your head unit your grounds havent blown. actually. checky your polarity first. swap the wires around i.e. posative and negative. swap them because if they were round the wrong way then they'll cause a crackling noise!

vaux cavalier
if you've wired them up to the rear speakers with the rears still running then that'll make them crackle, had this problem with my mates car. you need to either have one or the other running, you cant run both sets of speakers off the same wires on the headunit as you'll only be running about 20watts to each speaker. which is awful and will cut the quality dramatically. if its not, check that on your head unit your grounds havent blown. actually. checky your polarity first. swap the wires around i.e. posative and negative. swap them because if they were round the wrong way then they'll cause a crackling noise!

if you've wired them up to the rear speakers with the rears still running then that'll make them crackle

No it won't....

you cant run both sets of speakers off the same wires on the headunit as you'll only be running about 20watts to each speaker

Sorry, wrong again....Overall impedance is the issue with this scenario....

check that on your head unit your grounds havent blown

This would affect every output channel, not just the 6x9s....
checky your polarity first. swap the wires around i.e. posative and negative. swap them because if they were round the wrong way then they'll cause a crackling noise

Sorry, wrong yet again....Reversing, 'polarity' as you call it, would simply alter the 'phasing' of each speaker....

Because the issue only arises whilst the 6x9s are in use it must be an issue with either these speakers or their wiring, (obviously lol)....

Most instances of speaker 'crackle' occur due to one, or both speaker terminals shorting to ground....I assume these 6x9s are shelf mounted so the instance of shorting to ground is unlikely....The next most likely culprit would be a short between either the speaker terminals or the speaker cables themselves, (check for stray copper strands around any terminals or joins).....

Without knowing exactly how you've wired your 6x9s, or indeed how your actually driving them, all the above are simply 'best guesses'....

It's fair to say that if your running 2 stereo pairs from the rear channels of your Head Unit then low impedance coupled with low output power could indeed be inducing 'clip' at lower volume levels....If this is the case then you should understand that your speakers won't last too long....

Posting up all relevant info will make diagnosis much easier....

145db Euro'd clio
No it won't....
err yes it will. happened only the other day when wiring up my mates speakers.
Sorry, wrong again....Overall impedance is the issue with this scenario....

This would affect every output channel, not just the 6x9s....
yes. yet again has happened to me!
Sorry, wrong yet again....Reversing, 'polarity' as you call it, would simply alter the 'phasing' of each speaker....
and yet again happened to another mate of mines speakers.... making the quality really quite bad

vaux cavalier
err yes it will. happened only the other day when wiring up my mates speakers.
yes. yet again has happened to me!

and yet again happened to another mate of mines speakers.... making the quality really quite bad

Unfortunately it's impossible to argue this case scenario over the net mate....Surely you understand different faults will result in similar symptoms....The symptoms in this case, when coupled with info supplied, simply don't match your possible causes....

I was going to explain my points with another monumental post which would blow your theory out the water, but I simply can't be bothered to argue the point....

Put simply;
In this case
I'm right, your wrong, deal with it.....

1.2 16V 2004
alright thanks for all the help,
ive tried again today and ive realised that its only one of the 6x9 that are crackling ive tried swaping the wires over on the dodgy speeker and that dosnt change anythin, ive tried changing my 6x9 over with a mates speeker and it still crackles and ive also cleaned up the wiring and made sure that there are no loose copper strands and it is crackles, the speekers are both wired up to the rear speekers at the bac of the head unit, im just now wondering if i some get some more wire and then wire both speekers into one positive and one negative wire so that i have less wires going into the head unit. do you think that this will work?

vaux cavalier
Again not enough info supplied for a meaningful diagnosis mate....

Is your Head Unit driving Front speakers & 2 sets of rear speakers??? If so how are the 6x9s wired in, (parallel or series)???....

If you've tested another known good speaker on this channel & its still crackling then it must be either a wiring issue or a damaged amplifier channel within the Head Unit....

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
if both rear speakers are wired in parrell, which they probably are,
and your running both the rear speakers, which i believe from what ive read that you are,

would a fault in the amplifier (assuing the wiring is perfect)
result in both speakers showing the same symptoms??

also, to back up wallop, wiring two speakers to one output will drop the impendance,
(half it if both speakers show the same impendace to be more spercific) this can cause damage to the amp if the impedance goes lower than the amp can handle (will be in the spec of the amp), which in tern could lead to crackling coming from the speakers,

however if the amp can handle it, it will not affect either wattage or sound quality.

think your going to have to post up all your gear, and exactly how its wired,

but sound to me like you have to rip out all the wiring youve added, and redo alot more carfully (sorry if that sound patronising)

also, listen to wallop over everyone else, saved my audio on many occasions.

vaux cavalier
would a fault in the amplifier (assuing the wiring is perfect)
result in both speakers showing the same symptoms??
Yes, both speakers would be affected....

I realise the above was a rhetorical question clio142, but thought I'd best answer it for the benefit of Littlec17....

BMW 330ci Clubsport
If you have them on a parcel shelf and the sub is in the boot you have damaged them by having your music too loud, as the sub pushes air up into the cones of the speaker. Is the one that is damaged the one directly under your sub?

vaux cavalier
If you have them on a parcel shelf and the sub is in the boot you have damaged them by having your music too loud, as the sub pushes air up into the cones of the speaker. Is the one that is damaged the one directly under your sub?

He has tried a second known good speaker in its place, this also crackled....