ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Creaking low speeds and after a drive

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
I have been trying to get to the bottom of a creaking noise that has arisen that only occurs after a drive and happens only at low speeds. The noise to me sounds very much like a creaking. The sound does not seem to occur when the car is turning or when it goes over any bumps in the road, more so just at general low speeds.

The car has had all of the front and rear shocks removed and checked and refitted with new front top mounts ( + washer), and within the last month have had new outer and inner ARB bushes, along with inner tie rods and outer track rod ends.

My mechanic mentioned the lower arms which are original other than I replaced the ball joints with Lemforder ones approx. 3 years ago, given the age and mileage covered this will be my next job.

The exhaust has been checked and double checked, and does not make any sound when rocked and has had solid rear mounts and replacement centre mount.

Anything else this could be?

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
do a nut and bolt check and take it from there. lemforder stuff is crap as well.

OK no worries will do.

I was led to believe these were the preferred choice, I'm going to get some genuine lower arms and have done with it as everything else has been done.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Ball joints?

Do you get a creak when simply moving the steering wheel side to side a little when stationary?

Ball joints were replaced a few years ago but with the better Lemforder ones, no creaking when the car is rocked or steered on the spot when stationary.

Problem only occurs when the car lifts off at low speed or comes to a stop at low speed and most so after a drive.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Had near enough all suspension components replaced and checked / tightened and the creak remains.

Having replaced the engine mounts recently wondering if this may be the cause? The only one I did not replace is the lower gearbox one and having had a closer look it does look worn.

What engine mount is likely to cause a creak? I have OEM mounts other than an Evol dogbone.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
After having the ball joints replaced and wishbones bushes checked and everything tightened, found out it was the dogbone mount creaking so lubed and tightened and all OK.

Car feels bloody lovely however so a job well done.