ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cruise control on a RS 172 or a dCi (DIY)

220 Trophy, EVO 8
As many of you are wondering how to set up cruise control on your RS 172 or DCI, well here is my guide as requested here http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=521574

Parts needed (inc. part numbers)
8200084863 PVC casing (ESP, cruise control, light panels) 12,90 EUR
8200060038 Steering wheel cruise control switches - buttons 60,78 EUR
8200060039 Cruise control / limiter switch 34,81 EUR
7700431512 Clutch switch 21,60 EUR
7700430730 Clutch plastic housing for the switch2,77 EUR
7700430723 Clutch plastic spacer 1,95 EUR
7701051757 Wheel adapter with 4 cables (airbag, horn, cc) 130 EUR

PVC casing and button

1.jpg

Steering wheel buttons

3.jpg

Steering wheel adapter (has 4 cables instead of 3 like on most 172's)
It's quite expensive at Renault but I got mine on ebay for 60 quid.

2.png

If your Clio has this connector when you open the PVC casing (where ESP is) and in an RS you can immediately check if you have connectivity to the CPU (connect the A2-A3 --> see bottom scheme image) and when you connect A2-A3 and turn the ignition on for the SECOND time, the cruise control light should come up and the display should say SET ---)

konektor.jpg

Then you have the necessary installation to put in cruise control.

Putting Cruise control to a dCi (RS is basically the same)

unscrew all screws and take the airbag off and then the steering wheel (BE CAREFUL! be sure to disconnect the power in the engine)
2. once the wheel is off, pull the bottom plastic off under the wheel

dsc00058g.jpg

3. change the adapter with the new one
dsc00059z.jpg

4. connect everything and put it back on
5. cut the airbag on the sides for the cruise control switches/buttons or get yourself a 182's airbag that is cut by factory. I got mine from a friends 182 RB and It fits nicely. This picture however is from my friends DCI and he had to cut his airbag...

dsc00071s.jpg

6. put the airbag back on (you should hear a click)

dsc00077mf.jpg

Now we go to the clutch =)

clutch.jpg

1) plastic holder 2) switch 3) plastic spacer

Connect it to the mass and C4

schema.jpg

and It should work?! I hope I didn't forget anything...

In a DCI you then have to visit a Renault repairman to connect to the computer and activate the lights in the dashboard (as they will not work if your dci is 2004+) but If you have a RS 172 everything works right away.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
I knew it would be possible to retro fit this but was always told different. Thanks for this!!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
slightly more expensive and complicated that it was on my z4 haha, but always worth knowing its possible, good guide

BMW M135i
I knew it would be possible to retro fit this but was always told different. Thanks for this!!
The part he's not making clear is that if you haven't already got the loom for the CC and the ECU has the facility on it then you won't be able to retro fit it. So its not as clear cut as made out, not taking anything away from the guide but all he's doing is adding the switchgear from a car thats already got the correct ecu and dash loom in (the hard part).

Nissan 350z
I was under the impression all Ph2 172s had the loom/ecu as it was always an optional extra until become standard later on?

53 clio 172
has anyone actually tested this from the owners club using his method??! be good to know if actually worth spending the money!

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
BUMP for this

Can it be retrofitted to a 51plate 172? Does it have the loom already?

also, are the steering wheel buttons NEEDED?

Just for future reference this worked on my PH2 172. The plugs were taped up out of the way so you have to have a good look. I didn't need the clutch switch bracket or spacer, so have a look!

ESP didn't work!

Clio 2 1.4 16V 2001
I have bought al the stuff etc. But the CC/Limiter doesn't work.
If I brake oor clutch the CC/Limiter turn's off. And If I turn on the CC/limiter It won't hold my speed :(

The ecu gets blinking if I step on the gas and I see my actual CC speed to set.

I have 2 vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmPXkn8SE8E
And this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZzJQviHkto

PS, I have tested this with different speeds and different gears but the speed drops everytime

Clio 2 1.4 16V 2001
But why is my Boardcomputer (dash display) give me some info about the actual cc speed and see's if I brake, step on the gas?
(I have an electronic throttle pedal)

What do I need to get it work? Or can the garage fix it easily?

I have an unconnected connector under the hood. But its far away from the Throttle Body
1343285529_6_LXLu.jpeg

1343285362_6_ulXv.jpeg

Btw, its a 1.4 16V Clio Mk2

Last edited:
  Clio 2 1.4 16V 2001
I would say that the cruise control works fine:D

The car has been at the dealer today.
They have just re-programmed so that it works.
Costs: €178,- or £157,11,- :rasp:

Clio 2 1.4 16V 2001
Ehm only the reprogramming... I fitted the cruise control by myself. So it was not very cheap. Aftermarket CC is much cheaper.

Megane RS 250
Thanks for this guide.
I've got a 172 FF 2002 with the last ECU firmware done with the RS Tuner.
Recently i Bought a 182 wheel to have it refurbished and fitted, and it has the cruise control buttons on it along with the radio (which I'm not interested in)
What would I need to fit it and make it work?

Clio 2 Ph 2 1.5 DCi
The part he's not making clear is that if you haven't already got the loom for the CC and the ECU has the facility on it then you won't be able to retro fit it. So its not as clear cut as made out, not taking anything away from the guide but all he's doing is adding the switchgear from a car thats already got the correct ecu and dash loom in (the hard part).

I've got a 2003 1.5 DCI (2 seats), how can I check if I got the loom needed to do this?

Clio 172
i dont understand the wiring diagram obviously the bottom connector is the one next to esp hidden out the way but what are the other 3
thanks

^ ignore all of that. All PH2 172's have the correct wring in place. The below was fitted to a 2001 Y plate ph2.
New switch panel
774B4971-080F-4214-BFF1-9007981EFE40-1670-00000167148A6B5F.jpg

IMG_8336.jpg

Then a new steering wheel and squib fitted:
IMG_8334.jpg

IMG_8337.jpg

Which then enabled:
4768257A-422B-4B5A-891C-6DA01FB23F95-1670-000001671FA501E7.jpg

IMG_8335.jpg

Fit a clutch switch or, bridge the connection(I did this, I'm used to driving an auto with cruise, so don't cancel my cruise control with the clutch)
Cruise control. DONE.

Many maybe asking, is this possible to retrofit just the steering wheels control. As by changing the squib. I have a 2005 1.2 16V and I have a clutch switch too, but not wires for cruise switches in dash dimming panel.

RoYa (above) managed CC on a non sport is this because of differing models from overseas?

I've seen a modification carried out on a Megan II I think on Renault forums where 4 push-to-make switches are linked between 2 wires leading to the squid wiring, ranged from 0,130,400,900ohm afaik.

Very interested if this is possible even with some clip time and wiring changes as I do alot of motorway miles.

Thanks if anyone can offer help and I don't want to turn to after market either.

Mat.

172 Phase II
How do you get that airbag off?? I know it's by unclipping the two clips but I've been trying for half an hour and the only result is that my fingers are sore!
At some point I was really pulling hard on the airbag, but it just moved an inch or so..

02 Iceberg 172
I used a large flat head screwdriver to push the wire clips of the airbag - first one was easy but the second was harder and I needed to kind of push down on the airbag while trying to push the clip to the side to allow the wire clip to come undone. Once both clips are clear it should lift off easily though...

172 Phase II
Does the cruise control work without the clutch switch? I.e. with only the switch, squib and steering wheel buttons?

02 Iceberg 172
No - cruise function will not but the speed limiter function will ie. you can limit your speed to 40mph but you can't set your speed to 40mph. You will need the clutch swich for cruise control to work...

172 Phase II
That's too bad then.. But if I understand correctly I can have the switch and then just wire it directly to the ecu and mass?