ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cruise control on a RS 172 or a dCi (DIY)

02 Iceberg 172
That's too bad then.. But if I understand correctly I can have the switch and then just wire it directly to the ecu and mass?

Fit a clutch switch or, bridge the connection(I did this, I'm used to driving an auto with cruise, so don't cancel my cruise control with the clutch)
Cruise control. DONE.

Yeah you could do that but a clutch switch is pretty cheap and a piece of piss to fit...

172 Phase II
Can't edit posts? Followup question: what would be the (best) way to wire the clutch switch to C4 on the ECU?

172 Phase II
It seems I need this loom: (part nr: 8200234517) Or I guess wire the switch directly to the ECU?

p1020264p.jpg

172 Phase II
No I don't have the plug for the clutch switch. But a bit of an update on this!

From the ecu is there is the plug where all the wires are present. Then the plug from the loom that goes to the brake and accelerator has 2 less connections. Normally you'd have to buy the loom I posted to get the clutch switch plug. This plug uses the 2 unused connections in the plug coming from the ecu. Their colors are black and pink(ish), same as the clutch switch plug.

So I connected the two with a piece of wire IN the plug and then plugged the other one in. This does the same a bridging the connection at the clutch switch plug but a bit sooner up the chain. So no need to buy that extra piece of loom.

It works perfectly now. And I found out the cruise control also cancels when pressing the clutch. The revs go up just a little and then it cancels itself. So even without the clutch switch you can use the clutch to cancel the cruise control.

Edit: added pic before but not the one I wanted. But you can see the plug I'm talking about. It's the same one coming from the ECU but a female one.

Attachments

• p1020267k.jpg
    p1020267k.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 647
  Clio 1.6 16v
Hello!

I have Clio 1.6 16v 2001 VIN: VF1CB1D0F25338475

I have also bought all the stuff for Cruise control. I have the same problem.
The CC/Limiter doesn't work. And If I turn on the CC/limiter It won't hold my speed
The same problem like your vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmPXkn8SE8E
And this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZzJQviHkto

Can you please tell me if you have to hack different car's ECU firmware (with CC/limiter),
or they just update with new version for your car (the same VIN).

Do you have info (mail) of person that can do that?? Did you upgrade ECU
on RENAULT service?

Thank you in advance

Gorazd

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I was thinking about that, maybe down beside the T/C button.

Is anyone able to make a better guide? Or write this one out for stupid people (me) :)

02 Iceberg 172
I'm sure if you could fit the buttons else where/make your own then yeah!

Guys, can a car with gearbox driven speedo have it retrofitted?

My ph2 172 has a gearbox driven speedo and I retrofitted CC to it no problem at all...

02 Iceberg 172
To get CC to work I had to change the dash switch panel and add the cc/limiter switch, add the clutch switch/sensor, change the clock spring (to one with the extra plug for the steering wheel buttons), add the steering wheel cc buttons and I also fitted an airbag from a 182 (which already has allowance for the steering wheel buttons, rather than cut down my existing 172 airbag).

There's a list of parts at the start of this thread with relevent part numbers but this is what I used:

8200084864 Dash switch panel (2 holes for cc/limiter switch / lights)
8200060038 Steering wheel cruise control buttons
8200060039 Cruise control / limiter switch
7700431512 Clutch switch
7701051757 Clock spring/ Wheel adapter with 4 cables (airbag, horn, cc)

Not sure what the part number for the 182 airbag is - I got a second hand one. If your car has ESP then you need a 3 hole dash switch panel (Part number 8200084863).

It was all plug'n'play for my car, although I know a few haven't been quite so lucky with as straightforward an installation...

Quite interested in doing this myself! Got a 182 steering wheel, CC dash panel. So all I need is a 182 squib and have it programmed? Like Dan said I always use the brake to cancel the CC so i dont need the clutch switch?

Clio 172
Quite interested in doing this myself! Got a 182 steering wheel, CC dash panel. So all I need is a 182 squib and have it programmed? Like Dan said I always use the brake to cancel the CC so i dont need the clutch switch?

Don't think it even needs to be programmed mate? If all the loom is there (behind the light label) I think it's just plug and play?

And clutch switch just needs to be Bridged IIRC

172 Phase II
Don't think it even needs to be programmed mate? If all the loom is there (behind the light label) I think it's just plug and play?

And clutch switch just needs to be Bridged IIRC
Yes clutch switch needs to be bridged. I left all the original wires intact and bridged the two connections in the plug with a really small piece of electrical wire. Note: the other side of the plug didn't have pins going in the two for the clutch switch. So I guess you have to check that first..

And without the clutch switch, the cc DOES turn off when using the clutch. It revs up a little bit but the ecu then quickly detects that and let's go of the cc.

Also I found this in the rstuner programming guide. It might be worth a shot to try this when you've installed all the bits but it doesn't work:

The procedure for resetting the Cruise control/Speed limiter function is as follows:
– Vehicle ignition off, lock, then unlock doors.
– Vehicle ignition on.
– Main switch in rest position. (the computer then detects the rest position)
– Switch in Cruise control position to activate the Cruise control function.
– Switch in Speed limiter position to activate the Speed limiter function.
– Activate steering wheel +/- buttons.

Clio Sport 182
In my brothers PH2 172, he has the same buttons as in the first picture of OP's post. However his CC/Speed button only pushes up?
And idea if it is a separate button even though it looks exactly the same?

I am going to take a look at the button this weekend and see if it is broken / stuck

Last edited:
  Clio Sport 182
The button would not allow you to select CC (the up position) Taking the button out of the face plate resolved my issue :)

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Looking to pop this in the dci. It doesn't have the trip computer (mpg, miles until full etc) so unsure if it will work out. Has anyone fitted this to a clio dci with expression spec?

220 Trophy, EVO 8
I believe the procedure is the same because a friend of mine did this on his 1.5 DCI a few months back and all works well except the speed doesn't show up on the little screen in the dash, just the green light appears so you know that it's turned ON or OFF.
To get the speed on the little screen you'll need to connect your dci to a CLIP and program it.
As for you dci, just check if you have the needed wires coming out of the main (engine) ecu and brick the white connector (as seen in my first post) to see if the green light on the dash appears.

I couple of the foreign Clio forums are a saving grace (once translated) forum-clio is very good.

Now I have a new 1.2 dynamique and I have the cruise and esp connectors at the panel. I've tried to bridge A2 - A3 yet dash doesn't display SET ---, I have a ph3 so digital centre LCD. Most of the foreign forums say that the interior is fully wired but from the engine bay connector R107 ( need washer bottle) the wires aren't present, or the function works but doesn't display.

I don't want to risk purchasing a squib and cruise wheel & new panel + switches.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I believe the procedure is the same because a friend of mine did this on his 1.5 DCI a few months back and all works well except the speed doesn't show up on the little screen in the dash, just the green light appears so you know that it's turned ON or OFF.
To get the speed on the little screen you'll need to connect your dci to a CLIP and program it.
As for you dci, just check if you have the needed wires coming out of the main (engine) ecu and brick the white connector (as seen in my first post) to see if the green light on the dash appears.

Yes I'll have to bridge the wires to check. Which wire coming out of the ECU am I looking for? I wouldn't be bothered about the speed showing as it never used to on my old mk4 golf!

PB172,dci100,dci65
Hi mates, a question about the CC. I have CC fitted to my dci100, on the RS Clio 172 I don't.
On dci I open Diesel Injection in CLIP...I see there the item Cruise control/Speed limiter, which can be set to with or without (currently set to with).
On RS I open Petron Injection...I dont see this item:(

Can someone verify if the item "Cruise control/Speed limiter" is under Petrol injection in CLIP?

Clio II 1.5 dCi
What if the car doesn`t have the loom for it? Does somebody have information where the loom connects to? I have also read that the connector "is hidden" - where was it hidden in your cars?

PB172,dci100,dci65
Hi, just to let you know, I moved the CC switch and squid to my 2001 172 ph2 and after bridging the clutch plug, CC and speed limiter works. Without the brigding, the speed limiter worked, but the CC not (it showed SET --- when i tried to turn it on).

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
What if the car doesn`t have the loom for it? Does somebody have information where the loom connects to? I have also read that the connector "is hidden" - where was it hidden in your cars?

I would also really like to know this.

Unfortunately though I think by hidden you mean "behind the light control panel"

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
ForceIndia What clocks have you got mate? analogue or digital? writing up a guide this second and wanting to know which clocks need clip programming to show the speed.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've got a clutch switch on the way, but as a temporary measure I've bridged the connection in the footwell. Works fine, cruise does cancel if you get on the clutch, but there's a slight delay.

Clio 172
I've got a clutch switch on the way, but as a temporary measure I've bridged the connection in the footwell. Works fine, cruise does cancel if you get on the clutch, but there's a slight delay.

Just out of pure curiosity, does the ESP now work or is there more to it with regards to that? - I'm guessing the ESP runs off the ABS system so surely it's a case of UCH programming and the switch? or am I being totally daft?

Cheers
Al

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just out of pure curiosity, does the ESP now work or is there more to it with regards to that? - I'm guessing the ESP runs off the ABS system so surely it's a case of UCH programming and the switch? or am I being totally daft?

Cheers
Al

ESP needs a steering angle sensor and yaw sensor to work properly. Needs different ABS sensors to a non-ESP model too, possibly with a different ABS system as well. There's a fair bit more to it than just programming the switch unfortunately

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
@roYa it is likely the cruise control function needs activating in the ECU using clip.

If the car can't get a decent speed reading from the ABS it also won't work. Mine used to do this a little, new ABS rings made the problem go away.