ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cruise control/speed limiter not working

Clio Trophy
So I can call up the symbols on the dash when I press the switch but can't actually activate either of them. I've had the car since October 2014 and it's never worked in my ownership, just getting round to it now.

I've had it in at the garage and the mechanic was thinking either the clutch position sensor or the brake light switch but there are no codes.

I know the wheel has been off before to get re-trimmed, is there any chance this could have anything to do with it or are there any other likely suspects that won't necessarily show a code?

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
First thing I would suggest is whip the airbag out of steering wheel and see if the black plug to the left is plugged in and the wiring to it looks ok.

@Patrick Bateman

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
When I had this problem I replaced the cruise switch in the dash and it worked perfectly after that.

197was/second 182is
I had same issue, and in my case, someone change squib for no cruise cintrol one, so plug under airbag wasn't plugged in. I changed squib and now its perfect! As far as I know when brake switch is broken thhere should be fault code in memory.

Clio Sport 182
I had same issue, and in my case, someone change squib for no cruise cintrol one, so plug under airbag wasn't plugged in. I changed squib and now its perfect! As far as I know when brake switch is broken thhere should be fault code in memory.
It's a two part switch and I believe only the brake light part shows a code which disables the abs, but as far as I'm aware the second part doesn't. I'm 99% sure I'm right on this too buddy which is always worth bearing in mind, but you'll only find out by replacing it unfortunately. I just spoken to someone else about this too if your fog lamps light up on the dash while braking this can also cause a problem as they affect the cruise system. Clean the rear cluster terminals and make sure they are tight as this solved mine and saved me from buying a switch.

Clio Trophy
In typically ridiculously delayed fashion I've finally got round to removing the air bag. Black connector is plugged in, anything untoward that I'm not noticing?

Something else I've only just noticed recently is the rear fog lamp light on the dash lighting up when pressing the brakes. I've read about removing the rear lights and cleaning the connections, could this also interfere with the cruise control?

Attachments

• IMG_0959.JPG
    IMG_0959.JPG
    273.6 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0960.JPG
    IMG_0960.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 211
  Clio Trophy
I've cleaned up the one dodgy looking rear light connection (far right in picture) as best as I could and sprayed them with bilt hamber ferrosol but no joy.

1324416[/ATTACH]|https://thumbsnap.com/9IKGK8DZ']
9IKGK8DZ.jpg
|https://thumbsnap.com/9IKGK8DZ

Tempted to just get a new cruise control switch as I'm about at my wits end and would like to have cruise control on one car at least.

Attachments

• 9IKGK8DZ.jpg
    9IKGK8DZ.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 103

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
As its a safety feature when the EML light comes on in the Clio it knocks out cruise control and break pedal switch.
I have had this happen loads of times from Injector faults, Carbon canister faults & misfiring.

Even with using a OBD Code reader it cleared the EML light but the fault was still stored in the ECU and only a Renault Can Clip could remove it.
I was out in the car last weekend and got all my faults removed and problems fixed and now I have my Cruse Control working again.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Who did it for you? Don't suppose you're close to Carnoustie?

I booked the car into SWR and got them to plug the CAN CLIP in and check for all fault codes, I then fixed the issues and then booked it back in for the codes to be wiped.
Give SWR in Stirling a call on 01786 849489 and ask them for a price on a full diagnostic check.

Clio Trophy
Just had the aux. belt kit done at SWR and a few other bits and pieces. Replacing the injectors now leaves me with working cruise control for the first time in 3.5 years.

Interestingly enough it seems that an issue with them, while not triggering the EML, was enough to stop the cruise from working.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Did anyone fix this? My twingo is now not playing ball with cruise not the speed limiter thingy.

Checked the brake and clutch switches, all seem ok. They're looking like they're doing what they should.

What's this white ring called in the steering wheel? Squib? The wires are encased in the plastic harness thing so no way to see if damaged, but it is a bit loose. How does it come off?
The cruise will turn on via the dash mounted switch and display on the dash but won't respond to steering wheel buttons at all

1687375168192.jpg