ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Spoiler Brake light

02 Clio Extreme
Hello.

The brake light on my cup spoiler is not working.. I've checked the wiring and its all live.

What can I do? Does the non sport lights fit? Or do I need to phone Renault and order one?

Please help, cos I dont wanna get pulled over for not having a brake light working!!

172 with k-tec sound
you will need to get another from renault, as the non cup ones dont fit,
you should be fine as long as your normal brake lights work ok.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Thread resurrection: Ive just got hold of a Cup spoiler, brake light doesnt work and checked the switch wire and return path is fine
Wobbled the connector on the PCB but nothing. Is there anywhere, or anyhow, they can be repaired? Cant see any dry joints, thats about the limit of my knowledge. Or is it buy aftermarket new, for £20?

Any suggestions ?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I did put an LED strip in mine. Worked great, but i had problems with the actual plastic of the brake light breaking so it didn't sit properly in the spoiler.
For the money I just bought a new genuine one from renault. Looooads better now!

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
fitted the new renault 3rd brake light, still no go
and i have a switched live at the terminal
G knows whats up now....

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
i thought there may be a fuse somewhere, (Connector block) but thought someone on here would av suggested that
i am wondering

1. the connector that connects to the brake light terminal has broken wire (But i shove tester terminals in the connector and that what shows the 12v switched live) or the terminals are not connecting to connector block
2. theres not enough voltage to set the LEDs off, i'm getting a reading of 12v
3. no return path. (but probes in the connector show 12v flowing)
4. the replacement brake light i have is shagged

standard brake lights work ok
gonna get the old spoiler back out, and plug that back in see if it works

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Well- got it working. just posting in case this helps anyone in future
I couldnt get any of the 3 upper brake lights i had working. the connectors all looked a bit naff and broken and corroded.

So- cut them all away and connected the 2 cables that appear from the tailgate straight into the brake light connector. Bingo- it worked. So the connectors wear, and break down internally. Also- you must get the polarity right- if yours doesnt work when you refit it, change the wires round

Having bought the 3rd brake light of here, the seller will be pleased to know the original light worked after all. I now have a brand new Renault 3rd brake light as a spare :)

NB- When i did it, i also blew the fuse once- fuses are passenger end, dashboard under the flap. I now carry fuse wire and tweezers to get the buggers out. lol

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Well- got it working. just posting in case this helps anyone in future
I couldnt get any of the 3 upper brake lights i had working. the connectors all looked a bit naff and broken and corroded.

So- cut them all away and connected the 2 cables that appear from the tailgate straight into the brake light connector. Bingo- it worked. So the connectors wear, and break down internally. Also- you must get the polarity right- if yours doesnt work when you refit it, change the wires round

Having bought the 3rd brake light of here, the seller will be pleased to know the original light worked after all. I now have a brand new Renault 3rd brake light as a spare :)

NB- When i did it, i also blew the fuse once- fuses are passenger end, dashboard under the flap. I now carry fuse wire and tweezers to get the buggers out. lol
Glad to hear mate!