ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Daniels Blue 182.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Well i've been busy.

90% of the time I have also been absolutely scared senseless, i'll explain - So I updated my ecu firmware last week to the latest version which now has an altered dwell time (no idea what that means but apparently it stops the ecu from burning out), I now have a revmeter, I now also have a coolant display, I also now have a fuel pump shut off once primed which is awesome as before it continued to pump on ignition.

That's all great, I did however had absolutely no fire up what so ever... I copied over the base map, my map from Chris @ efi and altered some settings thanks to the help from those who had the same ecu as me however it didn't fire at all. The ECU was sensing so RPM. I spoke with a guy at work who has the same ecu as me on his mx5 turbo and told me to play with the crank trigger setting, it can either decent the signal when its rising or falling. Mine was set to the wrong one after the update and luckily changing this to falling fixed it - it then fired up.

I was more relieved after this fix compared to the first fire when I fitted the engine, I think it was more because it's only a week before the re-map!

I brought a chair downstairs because I knew it was going to be a long night haha

20170623_140713_zpstzrzmo0e.jpg

I received a new track day helmet. Absolutely love it.

20170623_150742_zpsdy6fpvam.jpg

The next thing on the back of my mind was the brake cooling duct. I originally bought 100mm ducts but didn't want to run 100mm ducting purely because of the size of it. So with a 100-50mm reducer and some 50mm tubing it's all secure. I want to get a laser thermometer to see if it actually makes a difference, and consequently have a play with different sized deflector plates if it doesn't.

20170623_154448_zpsyhp8p0f3.jpg

The next thing I did was install the emergency hammer and seatbelt cutter. I've opted for this place as it's very easy to reach when strapped in tight in the harnesses.

Started with my favourite invention, the riv nut

20170625_134726_zpsbiv6hbn2.jpg

20170625_134850_zps2nk6zzxa.jpg

20170625_134859_zpsek0t29fu.jpg

I made a better more secure false floor out of 2mm steel plate and some grip tape. It feels much better now compared to the fake carbon fibre abs plastic I had in there before.

20170622_180605_zpsht57dynr.jpg

I also wired in my N75 valve (boost control) properly, I was told that I could just wire in my carbon canister wiring to the boost solenoid and it would work, nope! Turns out you have to wire in a 12V feed to one side of the N75 valve whilst ONE wire from the carbon canister acts as a switched earth for boost control. It's a massive saving grace that I found this as it wouldn't have been working on my first mapping session...

Engine bay pics now it's all finished...

20170625_185402_zpsdclcisba.jpg

20170625_185413_zpsjijwv5lv.jpg

Edgy interior pic to finish

IMG_20170618_213714_266_zpsnlgiwxmh.jpg

I'm buying some front discs and pads tomorrow (£250!! fml) ready for delivery in the week then fingers crossed i'm all pretty much ready for mapping mk2.

Excited? Yeah
Nervous? Unbelievably

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Well i've been busy.

90% of the time I have also been absolutely scared senseless, i'll explain - So I updated my ecu firmware last week to the latest version which now has an altered dwell time (no idea what that means but apparently it stops the ecu from burning out), I now have a revmeter, I now also have a coolant display, I also now have a fuel pump shut off once primed which is awesome as before it continued to pump on ignition.

That's all great, I did however had absolutely no fire up what so ever... I copied over the base map, my map from Chris @ efi and altered some settings thanks to the help from those who had the same ecu as me however it didn't fire at all. The ECU was sensing so RPM. I spoke with a guy at work who has the same ecu as me on his mx5 turbo and told me to play with the crank trigger setting, it can either decent the signal when its rising or falling. Mine was set to the wrong one after the update and luckily changing this to falling fixed it - it then fired up.

I was more relieved after this fix compared to the first fire when I fitted the engine, I think it was more because it's only a week before the re-map!

I brought a chair downstairs because I knew it was going to be a long night haha

20170623_140713_zpstzrzmo0e.jpg

I received a new track day helmet. Absolutely love it.

20170623_150742_zpsdy6fpvam.jpg

The next thing on the back of my mind was the brake cooling duct. I originally bought 100mm ducts but didn't want to run 100mm ducting purely because of the size of it. So with a 100-50mm reducer and some 50mm tubing it's all secure. I want to get a laser thermometer to see if it actually makes a difference, and consequently have a play with different sized deflector plates if it doesn't.

20170623_154448_zpsyhp8p0f3.jpg

The next thing I did was install the emergency hammer and seatbelt cutter. I've opted for this place as it's very easy to reach when strapped in tight in the harnesses.

Started with my favourite invention, the riv nut

20170625_134726_zpsbiv6hbn2.jpg

20170625_134850_zps2nk6zzxa.jpg

20170625_134859_zpsek0t29fu.jpg

I made a better more secure false floor out of 2mm steel plate and some grip tape. It feels much better now compared to the fake carbon fibre abs plastic I had in there before.

20170622_180605_zpsht57dynr.jpg

I also wired in my N75 valve (boost control) properly, I was told that I could just wire in my carbon canister wiring to the boost solenoid and it would work, nope! Turns out you have to wire in a 12V feed to one side of the N75 valve whilst ONE wire from the carbon canister acts as a switched earth for boost control. It's a massive saving grace that I found this as it wouldn't have been working on my first mapping session...

Engine bay pics now it's all finished...

20170625_185402_zpsdclcisba.jpg

20170625_185413_zpsjijwv5lv.jpg

Edgy interior pic to finish

IMG_20170618_213714_266_zpsnlgiwxmh.jpg

I'm buying some front discs and pads tomorrow (£250!! fml) ready for delivery in the week then fingers crossed i'm all pretty much ready for mapping mk2.

Excited? Yeah
Nervous? Unbelievably

Here's a helpful comment.... f**k YEAH!!!!!!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Final piece to the puzzle has arrived.

20170628_184022_zpskmdgxay7.jpg

Hc 280mm discs and winmax w5 brembo pads.

The previous pads were dead

20170628_190259_zpsmkdruont.jpg

All fitted tonight. I've re loctited my studs too and they're setting over 24hrs.

20170628_210602_zpscl0qjwcu.jpg

20170628_210608_zps5yjyntqj.jpg

Its just a waiting game for Saturday now I guess! I may go for a drive tomorrow night or Friday just to make sure everything is working as it should before mapping.

Seat Leon Cupra R
Nice easy upgrade if you find you need a bigger setup down the line then. How much difference in cost is there to step up to the Meg rotors? Would be nice to just get it done while you were at it, but if there's a considerable expense then it's understandable!

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Nice easy upgrade if you find you need a bigger setup down the line then. How much difference in cost is there to step up to the Meg rotors? Would be nice to just get it done while you were at it, but if there's a considerable expense then it's understandable!
Main problem is you need 16 inch wheels to be able to run 300mm scenic discs. Megane discs are 5 studs anyway.

172 Ph1
Final piece to the puzzle has arrived.

20170628_184022_zpskmdgxay7.jpg

Hc 280mm discs and winmax w5 brembo pads

I fancy some of these @dann2707 , where from and how much please sir .

And this build has been awesome , I was aware of the ecu upsets you have been having , but so glad it's all sorted ready Saturday. Deffo go for a drive m8 , see how it all is ready for mapping [emoji4]

I am going to be running the same callipers and size discs. Let me know how they feel with those pads in [emoji1303]

Seat Leon Cupra R
Main problem is you need 16 inch wheels to be able to run 300mm scenic discs. Megane discs are 5 studs anyway.

Gotcha, thanks. Being a VAG guy myself I'm fortunate enough that most things run the same bolt patterns (5x100mm for mk4-based, 5x112mm for mk5-based etc) so things are fairly simple to chop and change.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I fancy some of these @dann2707 , where from and how much please sir .

And this build has been awesome , I was aware of the ecu upsets you have been having , but so glad it's all sorted ready Saturday. Deffo go for a drive m8 , see how it all is ready for mapping [emoji4]

I am going to be running the same callipers and size discs. Let me know how they feel with those pads in [emoji1303]
I got them from kam racing for £200 a pair!

I'll let you know how I get on with them matey.

TODAY'S THE DAY ARGHGHHHHHHHHH

woken up early as I can't sleep, too nervous

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I got them from kam racing for £200 a pair!

I'll let you know how I get on with them matey.

TODAY'S THE DAY ARGHGHHHHHHHHH

woken up early as I can't sleep, too nervous
Hope you have a more successful trip this time mate. If I wasn't stuck in the garden digging, I'd of driven up to meet you as it's not far

Good luck mate

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Not going to steal Dan's thunder, I'll let him fully explain how it went today. Didn't go fully to plan but the end result is still amazing.

Car feels like a weapon, I couldn't stop smiling on the short spin we went for afterwards!

20170701_193831.jpg
20170701_191158.jpg

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Not going to steal Dan's thunder, I'll let him fully explain how it went today. Didn't go fully to plan but the end result is still amazing.

Car feels like a weapon, I couldn't stop smiling on the short spin we went for afterwards!

View attachment 192197 View attachment 192198
Cheers mate! And thank you very much for coming with today, it really made me feel a lot better! It was horrible being there by myself last time haha

Soooooooo,

The day started off okayish - injector issue had now vanished surprise surprise.

The car was being mapped before Chris told me that the fuel pump had just died.. not good. We tried the relays and it turned out it was an ecu issue. As it happened the ECU had a bit of a nightmare and reset itself! I think it's a bug with the ecu where if you're connected to it and modifying then it can cause this issue.

Anyway, mapping commenced and the car was making 300ft/lb torque but wouldn't make it past 250bhp :( There seems to be a restriction somewhere, Chris being an absolutely incredible man (seriously go to EFI) he welded in a boss on the boost pipe for me so that we could measure the delta p across the turbo to the manifold to see if we were losing pressure.

It turned out we were only losing 4.5psi across the intercooler set up, exhaust back pressure wasn't too bad either but Chris mentioned that the power kept creeping up when the intercooler was left to rest a bit so I think its cooler related why i'm not making a better power figure.

The car ended up making 256bhp and 300ft/lb. Obviously i'm disappointed with the bhp figure especially with the bigger turbo, injectors etc but at the same time the car absolutely flies, it's mental coming from a 59bhp lupo.

My plan is to drive Boris on a few track days this year, make the most out of it then sort out the power issue later on this year/next year. I'm not thaaaaaaaaat bothered as it feels really quick now but as you can tell I am eager to get the most out of it.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Sort the intercooler out and crack on!!!!

I'm chuffed though

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Great result mate. Even if it's not the figure you were after!

Most importantly it's at a safe level, and there's no mechanical issues. you have plenty of scope to increase it once the intercooler has been rectified.

Like you said the best thing to do now is enjoy it as it is, get used to a completely different Boris.

Regardless of the power result bud you should be proud of what you've achieved, and I personally can't wait to see it in the metal at CSF!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
My old Meg F1 had 256 bhp and 260ftlb and that was fast so I wouldn't be too upset at those figures in an anorexic clio! Get some shakedown miles in before hitting the track though, it'd be a shame for something simple to ruin a track day.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Loved seeing this today. Sound absolutely mental inside and everythings done really well, spot on mate.

RB Clio 182
Great ftlb figures mate, are the rods safe at this level?

Chris aleays try's to lower the torque on mine because of the rods.

I doubt you would really notice 15hp on the road mate but i know you and this will be bugging you until you figure out what kept the hp figures down.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Sort the intercooler out and crack on!!!!

I'm chuffed though

Thanks mate
Yeah to put it in perspective Dan, my RA may have 320bhp but the torque is also 320ftlb, and I'm sure it's fair to say your Clio weighs a good deal less!

I'll see you out on track! [emoji6]

I think it'll be a fun battle! Let's do it :wink:

Loved seeing this today. Sound absolutely mental inside and everythings done really well, spot on mate.

Thanks mate, good to see you! We need to do it more often for sure.
Great ftlb figures mate, are the rods safe at this level?

Chris aleays try's to lower the torque on mine because of the rods.

I doubt you would really notice 15hp on the road mate but i know you and this will be bugging you until you figure out what kept the hp figures down.

Apparently it should be 300ftlb really, it's just the clutch was starting to slip a bit apparently thats what makes it read that. He said I may have air in the system which sounds likely as I bled it once and once only, thought it was a miracle it bled first time.

Hey mate, not all bad! Do you have a pic of the graph? Quite like to see, 300ftlb must be nuts in a Clio!

Cheers Sam, will post it below!

Great result mate. Even if it's not the figure you were after!

Most importantly it's at a safe level, and there's no mechanical issues. you have plenty of scope to increase it once the intercooler has been rectified.

Like you said the best thing to do now is enjoy it as it is, get used to a completely different Boris.

Regardless of the power result bud you should be proud of what you've achieved, and I personally can't wait to see it in the metal at CSF!

The quotes has messed up so i've answered your last post first haha. Cheers though Rob, it's definitely time to drive it!

I've got a car show at work next Friday and everyone is itching to see it so will take it then for a decent drive!

My old Meg F1 had 256 bhp and 260ftlb and that was fast so I wouldn't be too upset at those figures in an anorexic clio! Get some shakedown miles in before hitting the track though, it'd be a shame for something simple to ruin a track day.

Good plan mate, are you hitting CSF this year again? I may have already asked you.
That must go well.

It certainly feels great man!

Below pics from today and yesterday, using flickr now from the gf's computer.

This was whilst waiting at EFI

34867941743_b296008fae_b.jpg
20170701_135540 by dann2707, on Flickr

35508122142_34cd7152eb_b.jpg
20170701_140424_HDR by dann2707, on Flickr

34867946263_23e92587ee_b.jpg
20170701_135825 by dann2707, on Flickr

35677051115_a6057fec55_b.jpg
20170701_144929_HDR by dann2707, on Flickr

35677337955_64590c6aed_b.jpg
20170701_135527 by dann2707, on Flickr

On the dyno

35547027831_33206063d2_b.jpg
20170701_180534 by dann2707, on Flickr

Graphs

35546832381_2247aa1d6e_b.jpg
20170701_222318 by dann2707, on Flickr

@incy-spider

34836315134_bee6110904_b.jpg
20170702_115702 by dann2707, on Flickr

35508200162_0518d6a7f3_b.jpg
20170702_130531 by dann2707, on Flickr

Me and @Akay went to @Coops Turbo house today to help out / have a chat. Ben climbed in my boot, was fun

35508378162_63279e9f49_b.jpg
20170702_134259 by dann2707, on Flickr

I took a pic

35546868021_abcf609c4a_b.jpg
20170702_155049 by dann2707, on Flickr

Took them both for a drive!

Then I got him tucked up in bed as i'm going to do an oil change next week and do a full nut and bolt check to investigate a slight knocking.

35508275152_a5f944957d_b.jpg
20170702_195517 by dann2707, on Flickr

I've already got a long list of little maintenance stuff I want to do too so will start knocking things off that list. All easy stuff though.

I'm now looking at oil p and t gauges and i've got my eye on one that has both on one dial as I hate the whole gauges f**king everywhere look.

It sort of works out the same price if not a little bit cheaper as it's £100 including all the fittings whereas separate gauges are around £45 each but with stuff on top. This is definitely a necessity though not "oooh car parts shiny shiny".

I then need a sandwich plate which is around £15 from eBay then i'm all good.

Ahh man maths, love you.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Plx gauges mate, they do all the gauges in one with just add on modules, save the whole gauges f**king everywhere look for sure!!

That graph is nuts! Chris is a legend, I swear he runs on petrol fumes, never see him eat!!

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Plx gauges mate, they do all the gauges in one with just add on modules, save the whole gauges f**king everywhere look for sure!!

That graph is nuts! Chris is a legend, I swear he runs on petrol fumes, never see him eat!!

He must do, I met Dan about an hour after he got there but I was still there for 4-5 hours, I didn't see him eat or drink for the full time I was there!

Christ thought they would never update that ECU to stop the fuel pump running continuously hah
Another note, don't buy a cheapy eBay sandwich plate, go Mocal or something like that - I've been there.