ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dan's Ph1 172 Daily Driver

Some of you may have seen my post in the new member's section, but I thought I'd document my ownership in a thread dedicated to my phase1 RS Clio 172.

Having said goodbye to my DC2 Honda Integra, I have now owned X631UGC now for just over a month & it seems like so many other enthusiastic Clio owners I just can't help tinkering with the little thing! My first intentions for this car was solve the few small known niggly issues that the car has & then just sit back & drive it. For all intents & purposes this is still my plan (there's no stripped-out track day or turbo conversion projects intended here) - but it looks like I'm already getting more involved than I would have liked LOL!

Firstly - some gratuitous pics of the Phase1;

IMG_0726_zpscpu6eaxq.jpg

IMG_0727_zpsssvfssih.jpg

The first thing I did was give the interior a good 'Hoover' + clean & brought was a set of genuine Renaultsport mats... I do rather like the interior on thes earlier Phase1 cars, they do feel that little bit more old-skool & the multi-tones of grey & blue is quite quirky that's for sure!!
IMG_0740_zpsefckvnpt.jpg

The three issues that were highlighted in the seller's advert for the car was an engine oil leak (suspected crank bearing seal) A leak letting water into the boot & the usual illuminated airbag/service light. The latter I've set about trying to solve but the oil leak is a bit beyond my skills/bravery!

First I tackled the leaky boot, the water is coming from behind the L/H panel, so from doing some reading on here I decided to remove the roof strip on that side.... I cleaned out the gutter then ran a bead of clear silicone down the seam of the panels, I also removed the bung further down inside the boot shut & placed it back in with some silicone behind.... only time will tell if this has solved the issue as it only ever seemed to really leak if the car was parked at work with the front slightly higher than the rear.

IMG_0754_zpsfoai6j0y.jpg

I 'think' the original seam sealant may have failed at this 'blob' down inside the roof gutter?
IMG_0753_zpssozhgl7c.jpg

IMG_0755_zpsvzv3f0w1.jpg

I then set about trying to solve the airbag light, by replacing the plugs under both seats with some that had left over in my R/C car racing kit;
IMG_0782_zpsypykes3x.jpg

...... & hey presto;
IMG_0783_zpsfmd9oxip.jpg

..... Except really it must have just been me disturbing the wires as the airbag/serv light has been on & off a few times since:disappointed:

Ever since owning the Clio, it's been a bit tricky to drive, the clutch is quite high (apparently normal for mk2 Clios?) & the biting point seems to be when my knee is at such an angle I can't quite regulate my leg smoothly (a result of too many years playing 5-a-side football) - this is compounded by the usual sticky throttle linkage.

I have actually brought a new cable assembly, but I'm trying to pluck up the courage to do the job, with it disappearing behind the bulkhead sound deadening, it doesn't look to be quite the easy task it it on other cars I've worked on. So, with a couple of incidents of the revs 'flaring' when arriving at at a junction & down shifting, I thought I'd tackle the easier job of removing & cleaning the throttle body & reinstalling it using a new gasket (as recommended by Dr Jekyll on here)

Throttle body cleaned & new Gasket;
image.jpeg

Remains of old gasket (& additional silicone sealant) removed & both faces of throttle body & plenum cleaned up;
image.jpeg

Annoyingly with it all back together it's now worse than before - it certainly hasn't helped the notchy feeling accelerator pedal - I'll perhaps remove it again & re-fit it with some instant gasket to make sure there's no air leaks, I will also have a look at the idle control valve.

I've got to say, these cars aren't the most maintenance friendly - just getting the air box off is a real mission of pushing-pulling & a bit of brute force & ignorance! But at least I was rewarded by finding at ITG filter inside!

I've also replaced the two exhaust hangers as the rear silencer has started to knock/bang as the rubber has given way - again a common Clio problem it seems with aftermarket exhausts? TBH I can't see the new one lasting for long - but at least I can used the old casting to come up with an alternative infill of material that might be more robust.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

No knocking now - so that's one result at least!

Then the other night I decided to have a look through my old EVO mags - & found the issue reviewing the original Ph1 172 :cool: Feb 2000 - it felt like yesterday that I was devouring this article the first time round!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Great little updates and good find on the article. Amazing how quick time goes.

You enjoying the car over all? Glad you made the move?.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Changing the cable isn't as bad as you think tbh, sounds like you're going to need to anyway.
Looks great as well, nice and clean wee example.

Great little updates and good find on the article. Amazing how quick time goes.

You enjoying the car over all? Glad you made the move?.

Yes - its good, in many ways its very similar to the Integra - in terms of age & general condition, the Clio certainly isn't as distinctive, but still manages to feel special - in my mind anyway.... I still look back at it admiringly when I lock it up & walk away (as I did with the Honda) - I think its a great looking car! Once I get the throttle cable & clutch sorted (which will probably extend to having the crank bearing replaced at the same time) Then I think I will enjoy the driving of it a bit more - I would think that ordinarily the Clio should be an easier drive on our bumpy & busy roads compared with the Integra, which after a while can feel cumbersome & uncomfortable. I did take it for a spin down my favourite little B road - & I must say it was a lot of fun - more willing to follow the cambers in the road when on-power, so you do have to hang onto it a bit, but otherwise its well behaved!

Changing the cable isn't as bad as you think tbh, sounds like you're going to need to anyway.

Yes - I can't imagine its that difficult a job - I've tackled harder jobs on cars that's for sure! I just didn't want to start it last weekend & run out of time if I ran into any difficulties! So far each time I've started working on the little Clio - I've ended up having to take a quick cycle down to Halfords to pick up a socket to suit whichever bolt I'm undoing!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Is their a 'how to' for changing the accelerator cable? It's something I need to do too

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like a nice example of a Ph1....keep it that way!! I have a sneaky feeling they are going to go up in value soon. I need to get a second one to use as a daily.

Changing the throttle cable is easy, just a bit fiddly. A bit easier with two people. I would also recommend getting a genuine Renault throttle cable - my step dad changed it whwn he first had the car before me with a cheap one and then I replaced it back in January with a genuine one and the quality difference is amazing. Probably the reason why it only lasted about three years as the rubber outer sheath didn't cover the whole length. This may be the issue you are having, although a few people have got in mine, including my old Ph2 1.4 daily, and commented how stuff and high the clutch was.

Also your rear exhaust hanger, fill it with Toger Seal. Mine went a few years back and now I have a 'custom' one made of Tiger Seal and it works a dream! Even the professional exhaust fitter who made my exhaust was impressed with it! Haha.

Lovely looking Ph1 you've got there. Fairly low miles as well. They're starting to look a bit like a future classic IMO too!

Shame the photos have disappeared, but his description is very clear &..... errrm 'descriptive'. Unfortunately I've already brought a non-Renault cable that looks to be a universal item to cover different Renault models - but i'll fit it & see how it lasts. Talking of the cable - it is supplied 'dry' - do people think I should grease it or leave it as it is.... I know sometimes the grease can cause a 'stickiness'?

I definitely think the Phase1s will rise in value.... there already feels like there's a small following for the earlier cars - but I can't imagine they will ever command the values of the Williams Clios

So today I renewed the throttle cable & whilst it hasn't solved the slight 'flare' of revs when arriving to a stop before settling back to the normal idle speed (I will take out the idle control valve & inspect/clean that up at another time). But I'm pleased to report that the accelerator pedal is now smooth & free, making the car far more enjoyable to drive.

The description/instructions from the link above was absolutely invaluable, but the job was not the easiest (for an amateur car tinkerer like myself)

First there isn't much room behind the bulkhead sound deadening - once the retaining 'buttons' have been removed & the material is pulled forward (I un-bolted the coolant header tank & pulled that forward too to try & allow a bit more movement of the sound deadening) - here is a photo looking down behind the sound deadening - you can just see the throttle cable down there!!
image.jpeg

To get access to the cable where it comes through the bulkhead you have to lift up part of the inner wheel arch liner (on the driver's side)
image.jpeg

Difficult to make out what this photo is showing - but this was the hardest part of changing the cable, this being what seemed to have been the first cable change, the cable runs through two 'snap-shut' clips just in front of the brake servo, the first is fairly easy to undo, but the one further inside the car requires the use of a long screw driver to un-do the clip & free the cable. The photo shows the area after the cable has been removed.
image.jpeg

In order to ensure that the new cable follows the same route as the old one, I tied a length of string to the end of the old cable before pulling it through & out of the car, the string is un-tied, then tied to the same end of the new cable, The new cable was dragged back through using the string, but I did have to stick my arm down behind the bulkhead sound deadening to ensure its clean passage past various obstructions.
image.jpeg

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Think I am giving this a go tomorrow, how long did it take you in total?

I currently have no exhaust and most of the air intake missing so that will all have to go back on first

Think I am giving this a go tomorrow, how long did it take you in total?

I currently have no exhaust and most of the air intake missing so that will all have to go back on first

Go for it - it's such a relief to be able to regulate the accelerator smoothly! It took me about four hours in total, but then I did take my time, trying to be methodical - to be fair, most of that time was spent walking backwards & forwards to the shed to get different tools & trying to find some suitable string/cord & having tea breaks!

I'd brought a pattern cable, but I wish I'd gotten a genuine Renault one (I don't think they are much dearer to be honest either?) The one I got was a 'universal' cable to suit different Renault models where you are supposed to trim the different parts of the cable to length - the only bit I needed to trim was the inner nylon sleeve, & that was just 5mm or so - the rest matched the length of the original - oh & on the non-o/e inner cable, you have to attach the 'bobble' on the throttle body end - bring it to the right position & cut off the excess cable - I'm paranoid that eventually the end is just going to fall off leaving me stranded without any throttle..... :confused:

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Go for it - it's such a relief to be able to regulate the accelerator smoothly! It took me about four hours in total, but then I did take my time, trying to be methodical - to be fair, most of that time was spent walking backwards & forwards to the shed to get different tools & trying to find some suitable string/cord & having tea breaks!

I'd brought a pattern cable, but I wish I'd gotten a genuine Renault one (I don't think they are much dearer to be honest either?) The one I got was a 'universal' cable to suit different Renault models where you are supposed to trim the different parts of the cable to length - the only bit I needed to trim was the inner nylon sleeve, & that was just 5mm or so - the rest matched the length of the original - oh & on the non-o/e inner cable, you have to attach the 'bobble' on the throttle body end - bring it to the right position & cut off the excess cable - I'm paranoid that eventually the end is just going to fall off leaving me stranded without any throttle..... :confused:

It will have to wait till next weekend :smile: took me so long cleaning and reinstalling the throttle body, idle control valve, TPS, airbox and exhaust with custom made mount that I ran out of time/light the good thing being it seems to have helped with most of my issues, although inevitably has added some to do things to the list, I did buy the car wanting to do some work so I can't really complain. Did you do anything today? Or did you just drive it!!

It will have to wait till next weekend :smile: took me so long cleaning and reinstalling the throttle body, idle control valve, TPS, airbox and exhaust with custom made mount that I ran out of time/light the good thing being it seems to have helped with most of my issues, although inevitably has added some to do things to the list, I did buy the car wanting to do some work so I can't really complain. Did you do anything today? Or did you just drive it!!

Good work! It's amazing how time flies when you are trying to get a list of jobs done - sounds like you are almost there with solving your issues? The only thing I did with mine today is to give it a wash, after a couple of weekends fiddling around with the greasy bits - it was nice just to spend some time making it look nice again, I even gave the leather on the seats a bit of clean with some Wonder Wheels leather upholstery treatment stuff I'd brought when my wife got her MX5.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Good work! It's amazing how time flies when you are trying to get a list of jobs done - sounds like you are almost there with solving your issues? The only thing I did with mine today is to give it a wash, after a couple of weekends fiddling around with the greasy bits - it was nice just to spend some time making it look nice again, I even gave the leather on the seats a bit of clean with some Wonder Wheels leather upholstery treatment stuff I'd brought when my wife got her MX5.
Yes nearly there, for now I think, want to do the accelerator cable and throttle body off fully to clean properly next week. Also have handbrake cables to go on possibly next week depending on how the accelerator cable goes :smile: plus other bit's that need buying, have only washed it once will have to do something about that too next weekend!

Said to myself that I wouldn't do any work on the Clio this weekend - but I couldn't resist trying out the de-bobbler machine thing that arrived in the post on Friday. I spent a good few minutes tackling the front seats;

Before;
image.jpeg

After;
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks better I think - I'll give the fabric itself a clean soon too.

Its a great mod to do for such little money!

It also works well on the door cards too.

Certainly £5.99 well spent! The alcantara material on the door cards is actually in great shape, it's just a shame that there's a split in the grey vinyl down near the speaker grille, it's really the only thing that lets the interior down.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Tbf its a 15yr old car (ish) so they will have some marks in them.

I noticed you have some cracks in your leather. Quite common on these. If you check @Phase1sr old ph1 thread you will see he bought a product to help fill these, that is also a colour match for the ph1 blue leather.

I warn you now, if you havent read the thread, be aware that the inspiration and money spent from then on is no ones fault but your own! Its a great read :)

Tbf its a 15yr old car (ish) so they will have some marks in them.

I noticed you have some cracks in your leather. Quite common on these. If you check @Phase1sr old ph1 thread you will see he bought a product to help fill these, that is also a colour match for the ph1 blue leather.

I warn you now, if you havent read the thread, be aware that the inspiration and money spent from then on is no ones fault but your own! Its a great read :smile:

OMG! I've just been reading through some of Phase1SR's thread - I'm absolutely in love with that car!..... I think I should stop reading anymore of it as it makes me feel depressed by just how 'average' my Phase1 is by comparison! LOL!:fearscream:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
OMG! I've just been reading through some of Phase1SR's thread - I'm absolutely in love with that car!..... I think I should stop reading anymore of it as it makes me feel depressed by just how 'average' my Phase1 is by comparison! LOL!:fearscream:
Hi. [emoji4]

The previous owner claimed that my Ph1 Clio had an oil change every 6k or so miles, but hadn't actually kept a record of any of the servicing that he had done, but just from meeting the seller I was confident that he had serviced the car regularly - I did however have a receipt for the Cambell etc having been done in early 2013. I was keen however to do an oil change asap as I was unsure of when it was last done. So the weekend before last I dropped the old oil out (which I'm pleased to report looked pretty fresh anyway) & replaced it with some Fuchs 5wt-40 from Opie Oils (heard good things about this fully synthetic oil over on the Integra forum & it's pretty damn cheap too!) along with a new Wix oil filter.
IMG_0983.JPG

.... removing the old oil filter was a right bind, but I got there in the end, with a bruise on each forearm as a memento of my efforts!!

I also replaced the passenger internal door handle with a new one - there wasn't much wrong with the old one apart from a white mark that I couldn't remove - & it was cracked in the back around the fixing screw which was just bugging me.
IMG_0985.JPG

I then went on a bit of a road trip down to Portsmouth to visit the historic dockyard, an overnight stay & then onto the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu.... the car ran faultlessly apart from the occasional wiff of engine oil as a result of the leaky bearing oil seal - but the oil level itself remained stable.

On my return, I then had a go at renovating the headlights, they weren't too bad, having by the looks of things having had a 'going-over' sometime in the recent past, but as I had some pads left in my 3M headlamp restorer kit, that I had from having done the DC2's lights I thought I'd give them a quick going over...

Before;
IMG_1023.JPG

After;
IMG_1024.JPG

..... not massively different by the looks of things!!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Looking good bud, you should have really fitted a Renault oil filter though.

There was a tread posted about non standard filters.

Looking good bud, you should have really fitted a Renault oil filter though.

There was a tread posted about non standard filters.

I'm sure it will be ok.... for sure I would have preferred/brought a genuine Renault filter (& I will next time) - but unless the WIX filter is of such poor quality that it doesn't actually filter oil - or worse still breaks down inside then I'm it will do the job - certainly better than not doing the oil/filter change.

I took a couple of shots whilst I was away on my little road trip....
DSC01730.JPG
DSC01731.JPG
DSC01732.JPG

DSC01733.JPG
DSC01785.JPG

Should be bang on half mate

If that's the case then I'm not going to worry! I know the system could do with a flush - the previous owner said it was the one thing that he hadn't done in his ownership he was going to do it but hadn't got round to it, but gave me the (genuine Renault [type D?]) coolant he was going to use - so will get round to doing this soon & pop in a new thermostat whilst I'm at it. My old Honda would run at just below half way on the needle - so not concerned here...

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
My temp gauge just under halfway too, coolant good level, good condition
Will leave alone, but might be the stat i spose