ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decat vs cat?

Probably a stupid one but what's the difference between a cat and Decat exhaust system what's te odds on failing an MOT with a Decat and if I got a straight down pipe how easy is it to fit a cat back in for MOT purposes

Nick

So how do most guys on here with sports exhausts that are Decat pass their MOT? So it adds a tiny bit more power if anything?

That beggars the question on if the pass the MOT or if they "pass" their MOT. I gather most will pop the cat on come MOT time....

Focus RS + S3
Ive drove both, my car with a modded cat and a mates decatted 182
And i find there is a lot more throttle response with a decat, but cant say i noticed any noticeable power gain

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I noticed no difference on mine, just slightly louder, hence putting the cat back on

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Bugger, so if I want my car to pass its next MOT ill need to buy a cat to fit onto my exhaust, or a whole new exhaust? As the one I bought the car with is a decat.

260% JCW
De-cat all the way.

Yes the gains are minimal and it can be a pain swapping the cat over but IMO it's worth it. Top end/high revs my old Clio just seemed to breathe easier.

Inferno 182
No exhaust is the way forward! Mine fell off just after the cat and it sounded amazing lol!

But seriously don't remove your exhaust it wastes petrol and slows the car down, and its alot more noticable that its illegal lol.

Obviously he's not going to remove his exhaust. Definitely get decat mate, mine is a lot more responsive and feels more freely throughout the revs, I definitely recommend it, also sounds so much better!

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
up till 1st of jan 2012 a car only had to pass an emission test to pass 95% will fail the test with the cat removed.
from 1st of jan 2012 if the cat is not fitted at time of test will now fail for being missing.

Clio 172 Ph2
No exhaust is the way forward! Mine fell off just after the cat and it sounded amazing lol!

But seriously don't remove your exhaust it wastes petrol and slows the car down, and its alot more noticable that its illegal lol.

Am I going mad I thought a de cat improved fuel consumption?
Makes sense with less resistance?... Unless you mean your foot gets heavier with the favourable noise

260% JCW
up till 1st of jan 2012 a car only had to pass an emission test to pass 95% will fail the test with the cat removed.
from 1st of jan 2012 if the cat is not fitted at time of test will now fail for being missing.

This will not stop people using/having de-cats.

Thank you guys! I've asked a company just outside north Birmingham for a quite for a full stainless system with twin pipes if I go for it they invite me down give me a tour then build my system and fit it whilst I'm there all in a couple of hours so I guess I could ask them to keep my old cat? And have an easy swaP mechanicsam fitted or something

Nick

IMO don't do it unless you can find an insurance firm that willingly allows you to insure one by manipulating the small print. I know of only one such firm that unofficially will pay out claims on cars fitted with decats. There could be more, but basically they're uninsurable with pretty much all the mainstream companies. I had one on my car for a while but eventually decided the negatives were not worth the hassle. Most people will tell you the insurance issue doesn't really matter, but as they have clearly never been faced a total loss non-payout, I'd suggest that listening to those opinions is rather foolish.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
My cat's being refitted this week for its last MOT in my hands, so I'm having Mike/Dave leave it in place. The last 105k miles have been run with the decat so will be interesting to see if it feels stangled/less responsive.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Thank you guys! I've asked a company just outside north Birmingham for a quite for a full stainless system with twin pipes if I go for it they invite me down give me a tour then build my system and fit it whilst I'm there all in a couple of hours so I guess I could ask them to keep my old cat? And have an easy swaP mechanicsam fitted or something

Nick

Oh god !! Please DONT SAY ITS MIJ !!!!! :eek: