ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Cost aside me and Scrooge thought tarx was the new king of tar removal but yes dedicated ones are always better. Still will work well.

m5 test bed on Sunday for the new essence.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Gave the Trix a go today with my (brief) winter prep as I was running out of daylight. Impossible to see how it's working on a black car but it seems to have done an OK job. Paintwork feels fairly smooth anyway considering I never had time to go over with clay too.

Snowfoamed with Bilt Hamber Autofoam (incredible stuff!)
Washed with Gtechniq Shampoo
Quick spray of Hydro2 and rinsed to remove most of the water
Trix applied over the whole car and wiped down after 5 mins
Rinsed
Washed again
Rinsed
Hydro2 applied

I forgot how good Hydro2 was. Will be interesting to see how it holds up to 50ish motorway miles per day!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's here! Much excite!

8f3bce7ae40b1d741767aa53490dc232.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I'm going to have a wild stab in the dark that it was a white CarPro one 😂
Yeah I saw that mate and I have the same pads.

The white CP pads are as soft as fook and ive only used mine for final polishing.

I would have thought he would have used the CP orange pad for correction but maybe the white pads wasn't a CP one?

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Yeah I saw that mate and I have the same pads.

The white CP pads are as soft as fook and ive only used mine for final polishing.

I would have thought he would have used the CP orange pad for correction but maybe the white pads wasn't a CP one?

But this essence has zero abrasion so surely there is no correction? I'm guessing this was done on a very soft finishing pad.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Hellllllllo! You wouldnt use a harsh pad as that's not what the product is for. Needs to melt in to the paint.

So it's almost all fillers.... But it's also the sealant... So you're literally sealing the fillers in. We're talking maybe 6 months plus and because youre not correcting or heating the lsp up like normal essence the speed of application is mental. Stuff has blown me away today.

There will be light correction even on a normal pad. I tried it with a 3m blue pad and rotary. Worked well.

The picture was carpro gloss pad and bigfoot da. I would recommend via Da.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Hellllllllo! You wouldnt use a harsh pad as that's not what the product is for. Needs to melt in to the paint.

So it's almost all fillers.... But it's also the sealant... So you're literally sealing the fillers in. We're talking maybe 6 months plus and because youre not correcting or heating the lsp up like normal essence the speed of application is mental. Stuff has blown me away today.

There will be light correction even on a normal pad. I tried it with a 3m blue pad and rotary. Worked well.

The picture was carpro gloss pad and bigfoot da. I would recommend via Da.
Thanks mate, I've used Essence with the CP orange pad, then with the white pad to finish off.

Very good results. [emoji106]

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
What clay/clay lube is everyone using nowadays? About to order some for first time claying. Thanks!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
@gally how much working does it need by DA? Original essence I thought was pretty quick but is this any shorter? I'm still tempted following a review on autogeek iirc where the filling was mighty impressive.

Only problem is I no longer own a DA and soley use my 3m rotary

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Any clar bar better than others?

I personally don't like bilt hamber as I find them too tough and not easy to mould to shape but a lot of people rate them. Also generally avoid poly clay. It's cheap rubbish and can dissolve onto the paint for example if their is any trace of tar remove.

The megs clays have always proved themselves worthy. I tend to buy the own brand/ re branded soft white clays and they always work fine.

Provided you use a tar remover everytime you prep and re wax your car I found I only really need to fully decontaminate my car max once a year and I'm doing 18-20k miles a year

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Dave it's simply seconds to apply really. You don't need the heat like essence.

I think you would get away with 3m and blue like I did. Gloss pad doesn't like the rotary that much imo. Or the softest finishing pad. Just like applying a sealant via Da.

I reckon the more you spread it the more filling that will occur but still very quick!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Think I'll add Essence Plus to my next order, so do you not really need to top it with anything as you say it's kind of a filler/sealant.

Renault 5 GT Turbo
Any clar bar better than others?

You'll find most clay bars are the same.
Bikt Hanber is good, but as said, it's very tough, especially in the cold.
A bowl of hot water helps to keep it malleable.

I'm using Buffin Stuff clay now. Switched to I'm in the summer and haven't looked back.
I use Megs D114 for lube.

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
You'll find most clay bars are the same.
Bikt Hanber is good, but as said, it's very tough, especially in the cold.
A bowl of hot water helps to keep it malleable.

I'm using Buffin Stuff clay now. Switched to I'm in the summer and haven't looked back.
I use Megs D114 for lube.

Thanks. I'll give that Buffin Stuff Clay a go I think, looks cheap as well at £10.99 for 200g when Megs 50g costs almost the same.

Cleaned my car today and did a first 'detail'.

Rinsed
AF Citrus Power sprayed
Rinsed
AF Avalanche Snow Foam
Rinsed
Two bucket method shampoo
Rinsed
De-Iron (AF stuff)
Rinsed
TarX
Rinsed
Two bucket method shampoo
Rinsed
Hydro2lite
Rinsed

Ideally wanted to get the clay out and put some polish on but the weather wasn't friendly (rain/cold/fog)

Do I need to use TarX on a completely dry surface? AF Citrus power didn't seem to do so great getting muck off, is it best used before initial rinsing so as to not dilute the product?

Thanks

Renault 5 GT Turbo
Tar removers will be more effective if you loosely dry the area first. They emulsify with water so won't be able to react fully with the bitumen if the panel is wet.

Citrus Power is about the only AF product that I don't use. A lot of people swear by it, but I've never found it to be amazing. I just go straight for Avalanche.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I'm a little confused with Car Pro Essence &Essence Pus. I last used Essence in August, as a finishing polishing & sealant combined and topped with Reload.

Is Essence Plus the same but with extra filler?

It did look good!

rjQgI6a.jpg

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Essence plus has similar filling abilities. But no abrasives. It can be used as a stand alone sealant like normal essence.

But you cannot use essence plus as a base or primer product like you can normal essence.

Normal essence can be used under nano sealants. Essence plus cannot. Instead it is designed to be applied over the top of a nano sealant once the nano sealant has started to wear off or show signs of swirls. You apply essence plus over the top of the coating instead of stripping off the coating

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
A little advice needed - a few nights ago I gave my car a quick wash, snow foamed, shampoo'd and then I sprayed the (wet) car with Hydro2lite all over and rinsed. When I rinsed the Hydro2lite off it left it looking like it had a layer of condensation effect. It was pretty cold and probably had moisture in the air, it had gone dark already (~5pm) as you can see in the pictures. I'm thinking that it's something to do with the fact I sprayed the whole car with Hydro2lite, then rinsed it off, so it was potentially left for anything upto 2-3 mins and it does say to rinse immediately (stupid of me!). After the Hydro was rinsed I shampoo'd the whole car again as I was worried but it didn't have any effect, was still leaving a dull 'condensation' looking effect.

In picture 5 of the front end, I didn't spray the front bumper at all with Hydro so you can see just below the front grille, the paintwork looks pretty normal with no condensation effect.

IMG_0513.JPG
IMG_0514.JPG
IMG_0519.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_0515.JPG

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
A little advice needed - a few nights ago I gave my car a quick wash, snow foamed, shampoo'd and then I sprayed the (wet) car with Hydro2lite all over and rinsed. When I rinsed the Hydro2lite off it left it looking like it had a layer of condensation effect. It was pretty cold and probably had moisture in the air, it had gone dark already (~5pm) as you can see in the pictures. I'm thinking that it's something to do with the fact I sprayed the whole car with Hydro2lite, then rinsed it off, so it was potentially left for anything upto 2-3 mins and it does say to rinse immediately (stupid of me!). After the Hydro was rinsed I shampoo'd the whole car again as I was worried but it didn't have any effect, was still leaving a dull 'condensation' looking effect.

In picture 5 of the front end, I didn't spray the front bumper at all with Hydro so you can see just below the front grille, the paintwork looks pretty normal with no condensation effect.

View attachment 171701 View attachment 171702 View attachment 171703 View attachment 171704 View attachment 171706

The best method is one panel a a time mate and literally spray on and jet off straight away.

And you don't need to cover every inch of the panel. A little dab will do. When you jet it off it spreads it around. Then open hose the panel to get any excess off.

You're most likely going to need to machine polish your car to get rid of that.

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Yeah was a bad move to do the whole car in one go. So what has it done to my paint, has it damaged it you reckon? It seems like some sort of film has been left, in which case machine polish seems like the answer like you say. Ahhhhh!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
The best method is one panel a a time mate and literally spray on and jet off straight away.

And you don't need to cover every inch of the panel. A little dab will do. When you jet it off it spreads it around. Then open hose the panel to get any excess off.

You're most likely going to need to machine polish your car to get rid of that.

Machine polish to get rid? Ouch