ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Different 1*2 suspension arrangements

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I've been doing some searching but not come up with much.

Has anyone ever measured the differences between 172, 172 Cup, 182 and 182 Cup suspension parts? What are the actual differences? I know the damper bolt spacing is different on the 182 Cup, but what about the actual hub dimensions? Am I right in thinking that the 182 Cup track is wider than a regular 182? As, if my understanding is correct, the 172 Cup gets it wider track from the wheel offset, rather than suspension geometry?

I would be interested in what the physical differences are between the hubs, wishbones, subframes, steering joints, shafts etc etc between the different models.

Not for any particular reason, other than it would be interesting to have a definitive guide.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
172 cup has wishbone mounting points on the sub frame further outboard by around 8mm, the rest is done in the wheel offset. As far as i know the 182 cup is the same, track rods are longer on the 172 cup also.

PH2 172
No one has ever actually measured this? I am surprised...
@midge & I did to disprove the conjecture that has already kicked off yet again.

PH2`s are ALL the same subframe,the wishbones identical other than 172 cup,182 & 182 cup having a different castor angle, that can be retro fitted to std 172.
All hubs/knuckles are the same other than 60mm 182 cup pack items, which also have larger wheel bearings.
The sole difference in 172 cup track is ET38 rims,182`s are 43,std PH2 172 48.5
All hydraulic SMI racks have the same tie rods.
Different length tie rods on offer on EBay/ECP are for TRW EPAS racks.
I can dig out the pt no`s if requested, and I have already posted them before.

PH2 172
172 cup has wishbone mounting points on the sub frame further outboard by around 8mm, the rest is done in the wheel offset. As far as i know the 182 cup is the same, track rods are longer on the 172 cup also.
What Eunuchs haven`t got.

As Steve says, there is no difference in phase 2 sport subframes, do not listen to anyone who says there is, i had 4 or 5 subframes at my house last time Steve was here from various sports (172, 172 cup, 182, 182 cup) and they are all the same, this is backed up by the part numbers, I also buy all off the subframes from various breakers in the south (a friend in Europe takes them all for rallying spares) and they are all the same, it is only the ph1 172 subframe that is different, anything of a phase 2 sport is drilled in the same place for the wishbones

I currently have 3 subframes at my house, 172 cup, 182 cup and 182, they are all exactly the same.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
I'm on the understanding that 182 cup hubs have a slightly different steering acumen as well as the larger bearing. @NorthloopCup has seen loads of hubs in his time!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Thanks for the responses chaps. So a 182 Cup is no wider than a standard 182? Wonder why they ditched the wider offset

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Another difference in hubs is the 182 cup hub has a larger wheel flange (not sure on terminology) compared to all the other 1*2 hubs

Only know this as I bought a pair of alloy brake bells that wouldn't fit the 182 cup hubs, had to get the flange machined down to the standard hub size.