ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

do brand new tyres have less grip??

MKV Golf GTi (240bhp)
have just got a set of michilen pe2's on the front and some worn pretty good tyres on the back, the car feels less grippy is this normal after just having the tryes fitted?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yes, you gotta bed them in, about 200 miles or a absolute massive burnout does the trick! Check the pressure too, garages tend to just put them to whatever

I nearly found out the hard way that new tyres have less grip when i had new tyres on my motorbike, just as i pulled off the bloke who changed em told me to be carefull, got to the first set of red lights gave it some beans at green and the back end of my cbr600rr was spinning and snaking up the road a real treat, i shat my pants :eek: .

106 GTi
Brand new tyres have mould release wax on them from the processes used to make them - will take 150-200 miles before they are cleaned up nicely.

To be honest it's 100 times more noticable on a bike than in car, i've never really noticed a lack of grip when i've had new tyres on a car, i'm sure there is but never noticed it that much.