ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does a wheel size have an effect on a Track car

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Was looking at having 2 sets wheels and tyres. Car was bought with aftermarket 15 inch rims which I was goona put Toyo TR1s on for daily road use, and track if need be (Wet)

Then another set of 15s with Toyo R888s on for track only
Would it be better in any way for track use to have a bigger rim, 16 or above or does it make no odds? Tyres would obvs be more expensive, and getting real low may be an issue, but wont be going that low.

Being failrly new to Track days, what you do with the spare set of wheels at a track. Just leave them in the pit enclosures and hope no-one pinches them? And all the other stuff that needs carrying like spare, wheel brace, jack, lunch etc

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Light but strong wheels in either.
15's have cheaper rubber.
Would run r1r if wet not the tr1's

Every day I've been on, 10 ish, I've Allways had a garage and there's normally a few people watching etc. Never had an issue with stuff left partly because of that and I hope everyone else has a similar don't be a dick and punch stuff attitude

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Hi and welcome.

Where are you based?

I'd go r1rs as well, t1rs are the top of the range budget iirc. I've not heard a bad thing about r1rs.

Re what to do with spare wheels, I just leave them in the garage along with all of my stuff, touch wood nothing has been stolen yet lol.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
R1r's are available in both 195/50/15 and 205/50/15 for definite, I've just made the switch from rain sports to r1r's, not had the chanc to run them yet, next track day is 4th Nov so we'll see.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
R1r's are available in both 195/50/15 and 205/50/15 for definite, I've just made the switch from rain sports to r1r's, not had the chanc to run them yet, next track day is 4th Nov so we'll see.

Great- could you post a link?

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Sure, I got mine off ebay (195s) this is the one I ordered, arrived within 48 hrs too
Screenshot_2016-10-21-13-43-21.png

And the 205's
Screenshot_2016-10-21-13-43-30.png

I run 2 sets of 15s. 1 set with Rainsport 3's for driving to and from the track and when it pissing down with lots of standing water, the other is wrapped in r888s and these can be used in all conditions apart from it pissing down with standing water.

Set of RS3 of eBay is something daft like £120, I get all my r888s part worn of eBay, last got 4 with 3mm on each (5mm new) for £80 and they've lasted 5 track days and still have 1mm left on them for Oulton tomorrow. I just swap them around so all the tread is used up as the Clio like to wear the outsides on the fronts and insides on the rears so just bang them the other way.

I run R1R in the wet (on 15 inch wheels). They are a bloody good wet tyre. I won't ever look at other tyres personally now.

Smaller wheels are lighter and have cheaper tyres. Plus look better in my opinion and help avoid rubbing when fitting coilovers.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I've never used them but in the wet they are supposed to be fantastic

Just got back from abusing them all day yesterday around Castle Combe and they are indeed absolutely superb, in the wet the grip is unreal, and even in the dry they more than hold their own.

It's safe to say I'll only be using r1r's in the wet from now on, kept them at 29- 30 psi hot and barely even noticed the fact it ws wet (unless I was using the kerbs but that's a whole other story ;) )

I definitely rate the Uniroyal Rain Sport 3's, they transformed my Octavia VRS, I've now got them on my taxi and we've had some really bad weather recently down this way and they've been fantastic.

I shall have a set of wheels with rain sport 3's and a set of track tyres, I'm yet to decide on a dry wether track tyre

Renault Clio 172
Just recently got a 172 and looking to track it. Going to be running 15's on Federal RSR's for dry, and 16's on Rainsports for really wet.
Generally smaller wheels, better acceleration... Bigger wheels, better top end speed.

Just recently got a 172 and looking to track it. Going to be running 15's on Federal RSR's for dry, and 16's on Rainsports for really wet.
Generally smaller wheels, better acceleration... Bigger wheels, better top end speed.
Not when the tyre diameters are identical, no

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Was looking at having 2 sets wheels and tyres. Car was bought with aftermarket 15 inch rims which I was goona put Toyo TR1s on for daily road use, and track if need be (Wet)

Then another set of 15s with Toyo R888s on for track only
Would it be better in any way for track use to have a bigger rim, 16 or above or does it make no odds? Tyres would obvs be more expensive, and getting real low may be an issue, but wont be going that low.

Being failrly new to Track days, what you do with the spare set of wheels at a track. Just leave them in the pit enclosures and hope no-one pinches them? And all the other stuff that needs carrying like spare, wheel brace, jack, lunch etc

Michelin Pilot Sports for all round goodness. Unless you're wanting that extra bit of dry performance on a track tyre I'd just use them for everything.

R888's are even better when painting the tread with cellulose thinner and wrapping them in cling film the night before a track day, wouldn't recommend on new tyres mind as it eats them up quickly, especially on warm days. Its great on tyres that have seen to many heat cycles and have gone hard, gives them a new lease of life.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
R888's are even better when painting the tread with cellulose thinner and wrapping them in cling film the night before a track day, wouldn't recommend on new tyres mind as it eats them up quickly, especially on warm days. Its great on tyres that have seen to many heat cycles and have gone hard, gives them a new lease of life.

Bit like the tyre softener stuff you can get but cheaper haha.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Gone for AD08 Rs as got my spare fitted with one already
The other 3, not sure when to get fitted. Probably end of April or sooner?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
My Clio had Micchies on it when I got it. R888s are another level in comparison.

Depends what you're after, you could go for slicks and get another level again- good road tyres are a nice compromise and you can use them come rain or shine.

If what you want to do is go really fast round circuits I'd go as far as to say that a Clio wasn't a great choice to start with.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Mmm id say the clio is pretty good round tracks.

Because biting :smile:
It's not bait mate, loads of people end up spending 5 figures on their road cars turning them into track cars chasing lap times. If you want lap times then just buy a low-end Caterham or Elise, go really fast and don't lose all your money either!

Then you'd have proper wheel drive too ;)

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Cant wait to take my Clio round the track, and that's after taking my Golf 7 R , Tuning box takes that to 355bhp and 495 n/m torque, which was actually not as exciting as I thought. Don't get me wrong, great fun overtaking everything, and doing 140 on the straights, but that's cos I have loadsa power.

Clio feels a better drive, just a tadge slower :)