ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Doing/Clunk at end of reverse?

Astra
Hi,

My 2005 Clio Campus 1.2 passed its MOT this week and failed on OSF anti-roll link ( which was disintegrated). Prior to taking the car in I was hearing this weird clunk at the end of reversing, it sounds like a metallic part has 'shifted' hence the noise.

I replaced the dog-bone tonight, together with the NSF anti-roll link bush, but still no different. I have tightened all sub-frame bolts ( I found 2 on OSF and 2 on NSF).

I haven't checked the upper gearbox mount under the battery yet, and the upper left (facing car) mount and that seems ok.

There is no clunk in forward travel, in fact the car drives perfectly, just this clunk/boing at the end of reverse travel.

I am left with this theory of brake pads moving or a driveshaft?

Help appreciated!

Mark

Astra
I have read a thread ending in it being the driveshaft teeth 'rounding' off and seen the pictures of the new driveshaft teeth, but with mine it doesn't even make the noise sometimes.

I would say it does it 40% of the time, and definitely nothing in forward travel.

I have spent time with the car on ramps with a crowbar looking for culprits but I am running out of ideas now!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Could be a balljoint? Or spring settling? Is your driveway bumpy?
And if doesn't do not when driving forwards and coming to a stop?

Astra
Could be a balljoint? Or spring settling? Is your driveway bumpy?
And if doesn't do not when driving forwards and coming to a stop?

Ball joint all good.
Driveway smooth (tarmac)
And no, nothing when driving and coming to a stop.

Coil spring, mmm, possibly, but sound is coming from the exact location of the dog bone mount, not either side where the springs/top mounts are located.

Astra
My next culprit is the mount under the battery tray, but the sound really does sounds like a lump hammer is striking the area around the dog-bone mount/ behind ashtray area if that makes sense.

So far:

2 Anti roll bar links
OSF balljoint.
Dog Bone Mount

Thanks

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The knock could be the manifold hitting the subframe yeah. Or your flexi is on its way out!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Could well be the rear brakes.

Could also be the metal guard catching on the brakes.

Did you replace the failed drop link, assume you did as you mentioned you replaced the other side?

Astra
Could well be the rear brakes.

Could also be the metal guard catching on the brakes.

Did you replace the failed drop link, assume you did as you mentioned you replaced the other side?

Rears are drums. Definitely coming from the front end. Yes, I did replace both drop links and dogbone. Had other 2 mounts off today and they are fine.

Just come back from taking car to large area and did some tests.

Full lock right hand down, going back and forth, can hear the noise going forward and back ( noise not necessarily at time of braking)

Full lock LHD, same but less pronounced.

Straight line , back and forth, again sound in forward and reverse, when weight transferred.

So whatever it is I would say it has a bolt through it and it's not tight I.e holding 2 parts together.

Or could this be a driveshaft?

Astra
Would you say the noise is like a clicking noise?

No defiantly 1 x short 'clunk', when the weight of the car is transferred from front to back or back to front.

Not there during normal driving, i,e pulling off from lights. If I was to reverse at the lights for any distance, then drive off the lights then I would get 1 x 'clunk.

Astra
No defiantly 1 x short 'clunk', when the weight of the car is transferred from front to back or back to front.

Not there during normal driving, i,e pulling off from lights. If I was to reverse at the lights for any distance, then drive off the lights then I would get 1 x 'clunk.
In other words I get a clunk when I change direction!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Allways difficult to diagnose over the internet, do you know anyone who could have a mooch?

May top mounts or something daft

PH2 172
Basics.
Wheel bolts all tight?
Disc locating grub screws not sitting proud?

Otherwise, front shock top mounts past their best.

To be honest, play something very loud.

Astra
Allways difficult to diagnose over the internet, do you know anyone who could have a mooch?

May top mounts or something daft

I'm more than capable!

I have looked at the top mounts and all seems ok, don't forgot it passed the MOT this week so am sure anything like that would covered?

Astra
Basics.
Wheel bolts all tight?
Disc locating grub screws not sitting proud?

Otherwise, front shock top mounts past their best.

To be honest, play something very loud.

Bolts tight -YES

Disc held on by wheel bolts (retaining screw only really for keeping disc on hub if wheel off)

Best way to check top mounts?

Thanks

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I'm more than capable!

I have looked at the top mounts and all seems ok, don't forgot it passed the MOT this week so am sure anything like that would covered?

Have you had it up in the air and checked for movement?

PH2 172
Bolts tight -YES

Disc held on by wheel bolts (retaining screw only really for keeping disc on hub if wheel off)

Best way to check top mounts?

Thanks
And if the little screw is not flush, the wheel will not seat correctly, however tight you do the 4 wheel bolts up.

Top mounts?

Just replace them with new.

Astra
Have you had it up in the air and checked for movement?

Car spent best part of the week on axle stands with both front wheels off.

Apart from the NSF balljoint (which passed the MOT with but changed as looked a likely culprit!) and the dog bone, every else seems 'tight' , been all under the front end with a bar looking for something 'loose' but nothing.