ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Doom!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Picked this up today, hoping to relive my youth.

Interestingly the developer decided not to release any early copies for review. This could mean one of two things, either its pap or they were making some last minute changes. User reviews look good mind.

Anyone played it yet?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Well, that quick half hour blast turned into a 4 hour session...
Whacked everything up to Ultra and wow, it's a pretty game and hurtles along at a silky-smooth frame rate. I'm looking forward to playing more of the campaign asap.

A few random screenshots (not been able to grab any video yet).

20160514_01.jpg

20160514_02.jpg

20160514_03.jpg

20160514_04.jpg

20160514_05.jpg

20160514_06.jpg

20160514_07.jpg

20160514_08.jpg

20160514_09.jpg

20160514_10.jpg

20160514_11.jpg

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I think I'll wait a while for this. I've just got Uncharted 4 and I've still got the majority of the Witcher to do as that's been sat on the shelf since the Division came out.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I played it a bit last night, really enjoyable.

The key is to keep moving to dodge the shots, stand still and you won't last long.

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
I need to finish quantum break so I can trade it in for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'm really enjoying this. Nothing particularly revolutionary going on but just a very slick FPS with some difficult enemies (if you've cranked up the difficulty level). I'm even enjoying hunting out the secrets and collectables.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I ordered it yesterday morning with SimplyGames who advertise codes within 20 seconds, I'm still yet to get mine (not that I need it right now as I'm busy with DIY, but come on)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
@SharkyUK Looks great, what graphics card are you running? With the lack of reviews I'm not sure how demanding Doom is
Andy's running 980Ti's - though I don't know if he's running then in SLi or just a single card.

Does look bloody good. I'm hoping that it's simply a mindless blaster. The Serious Sam series was the last I recall that did that well.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
@SharkyUK Looks great, what graphics card are you running? With the lack of reviews I'm not sure how demanding Doom is
Hi mate - as @Darren S has mentioned, I'm running nVidia GTX 980Ti. The specs for Doom were listed as follows:

PC System Specs
Minimum
  • Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit versions); Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better;
  • 8 GB RAM; 55 GB free HDD space; NVIDIA GTX 670 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or better
Recommended
  • Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit versions); Intel Core i7-3770/AMD FX-8350 or better;
  • 8 GB RAM; 55 GB free HDD space; NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB/AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB or better

Andy's running 980Ti's - though I don't know if he's running then in SLi or just a single card.

Does look bloody good. I'm hoping that it's simply a mindless blaster. The Serious Sam series was the last I recall that did that well.
I'm running on a single card mate; one of the two cards was faulty so was returned for a full refund. I can't be bothered with the frustrations of SLI setups at the moment hence will stick to the single, most performant single card solution I can afford :smile:

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Hah @SharkyUK - You know your graphics card is getting on a bit when it seems to be more common in the minimum spec. My poor 670 :(
Once I've picked up a new graphics card I think I'll pick this up

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Has this got a single campaign mode?

Quake 3 was my online favourite, probably more so than CoD... don't play games anymore but this could be tempting if it's any good.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Well, I attempted to grab some footage but I'm struggling to capture anything decent. I managed the following test capture a few hours ago. The problem is I'm trying to capture an OpenGL game (Doom) using a DirectX based video capture utility (ShadowPlay) by recording the desktop directly (rather than an exclusive game window) hence the frame rate of the footage drops from time-to-time. It's a shame as it's probably one of the most silky-smooth shooters I've played. I've still not sussed out the best way of getting the highest quality videos from YouTube yet either so it doesn't really do the game justice.

Footage is from the PC version on Ultra settings at constant 60fps.

Evo 5 RS
I've played about 35 minutes. Not sure I'm sold on the whole retro approach. Think you have to be in a certain mood for it. I'd rather just play the original lol. It's definitely pretty, though. Runs silky at mostly ultra settings at 1440p even on a 970GTX.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Its relatively repetitive...Metacritic rated it quite poorly (74 iirc).

Still enjoying it though.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Played the Beta on the PS4 after seeing an advert on telly.

s**t on the console tbh.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure I'm sold on the whole retro approach. Think you have to be in a certain mood for it. I'd rather just play the original lol. It's definitely pretty, though.
You can unlock the classic Doom and Doom 2 maps and play them in this version... :) There's your incentive! LOL!

Its relatively repetitive...Metacritic rated it quite poorly (74 iirc).

Still enjoying it though.
Yep - it is repetitive; one 'pocket' of action before moving on to the next one. For how limited it actually is in that regard I am really enjoying it. I think it's quite a decent re-imagining of the original. By cranking up the difficulty (and dying a lot) and searching out all secrets before moving to the next level I've got a good 20+ hours out the single player campaign so far.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'm finding a few cool Easter eggs here and there throughout the levels; Bejeweled type game, turkey punch, Fallout reference, Commander Keen, Soul Cube, Skyrim reference...

This is definitely worth a purchase!
I agree with all of sharkys comments.
It's repetitive old school style fps, but with modern twists, such as secondary fire, suit upgrades, weapon upgrades etc.
Best bits of new games without all the drivel, glitz and BS layered over the top of poor game mechanics like a lot of modern games do..... This game has pure effective and fun core game play mechanics with the best bits of modern fps.
All killer no filler

I did lol to myself when I picked up my first blue key card!! Lmao. Retro much?

Ill check your videos later Andy. I wish I had a pc to play it on, hate fps on console

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Ill check your videos later Andy. I wish I had a pc to play it on, hate fps on console
Definitely a better experience on keyboard and mouse (but I do enjoy a good FPS on console to be honest). I've put 30 hours into the game already and I've still not completed the single player campaign. Some parts of the game are real tough on higher difficulties and I'm not allowing myself to continue to the next level until I've found all secrets, etc. on the current level! It works well, it means I usually play each level 2-3 times as I don't always get the secrets and collectibles in one pass.

Great videos Andy. f**k me the graphics are stunning, so slick too!
Lol at quad damage super shotgun to mancubus 's face!
I want keyboard and mouse precision [emoji20]

Yeah, I'm taking my time through the game too. Although I'm not finding every single secret... I'm getting most and I'll play through again to get each and every one [emoji106]
The single players more fun than multi imo

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
My copy arrives today, actually bought the disc from Amazon because it was nearly a tenner cheaper than on Steam. Yay for free one-day delivery with prime :)

All I've got to do now is get access to the PC, which is going to be the hard part with the missus doing prep work for next week. :(

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Great videos Andy. f**k me the graphics are stunning, so slick too!
Lol at quad damage super shotgun to mancubus 's face!
I want keyboard and mouse precision [emoji20]

Yeah, I'm taking my time through the game too. Although I'm not finding every single secret... I'm getting most and I'll play through again to get each and every one [emoji106]
The single players more fun than multi imo
It's a pretty looking game. I did have concerns after the game and underlying engine underwent several major changes since the last Doom title, but they've done a good job in my opinion. It's nothing revolutionary, nor is it bringing anything new to the table, but it is a solid shooter that will appeal to Doom fans. I like the fact that I can just hop in and run through a previous mission for a quick blast if I want to.

I've not even tried the multiplayer or the SnapMap stuff yet. That can wait until I've finished the single player campaign (although I'm not all that fussed on the multiplayer aspect if I'm honest). Talking of single player, I'm currently stuck trying to find a secret on The Necropolis. I might have to skip it and come back later as I can't find it!

All I've got to do now is get access to the PC, which is going to be the hard part with the missus doing prep work for next week. 😧
Priorities mate - tell her to wait as Doom takes priority!