ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Doom!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Double xp on multiplayer at the moment. Ranking up quite quick on deathmatch and unlocking some decent guns to make it a level playing field.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
For the first time, DOOM annoyed me today. There are significant balance issues within the game - which don't seem to ally in terms of improvement and game progress.

It's easy for example, to go through the majority (if not all) of your 20 rockets when encountering three of those brute type things along with any form of support units - like one of those that warps enemies in. And rounds like rockets are needed to deliver the relevant amount of damage.

Worse, the enemies move FAR better than your marine is capable of. The is not DOOM 1 or DOOM 2 for the present era. It's not chaotic and fun where you run away from a fight, firing down long corridors and managing to defend choke points like in the previous legacy games. Too often, a gate or door is sealed behind you, leaving you to your fate with the occasional sprinkling of +5 ammo here and there. Its not enough to deal with the current battle - unless by the fifth or sixth checkpoint reload, you manage to pull a lucky shot that down an enemy in a handful of rounds, rather than 87% of your ammo allocation.

It was a bit of a wake-up call for me earlier. The vast majority of my FPS collection, I play right the way through to the end. I like the genre - I have for years. But today, the first thought of calling time on DOOM did cross my mind and for no other reason than I simply CBA.

The 'reward' of progress is simply not matched in terms of fun gameplay. Wandering around taking out handfuls of enemies are interspersed with the occasional puzzle solving and random butt kicking of massed hordes of demons. It should all work and it does work. But not that well imo.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
How far in to the game are you @Darren S ?

I got to a point a while back where it seemed impossible to get through unless, like you say, you get a lucky shot. It was only level 6 or 7 I think but just couldn't get anywhere.

Haven't played the campaign since.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
According to the wiki, I've got to the sixth level - Kadingir Sanctum. I think that's approx. halfway through the game. I'm hoping something just 'clicks' with me and I want to pursue it through to the end.

Again, it was another one of those games that I found a hell of a lot more enjoyable at the start, than I do at the stage I'm at. It was frantic when there were plenty of imps, but evading shots and firing back with little more than a pistol was rewarding. Now, even with the heavy assault rifle - I was expecting a lot from unlocking the devastator rounds, then quickly disappointed when they appeared to do little else over the standard rounds.

I don't think I've swapped weapons so much in an FPS. Usually, there's one or two guns that you find form with and use them for 75% of the duration of a game. With DOOM, I'm not. Literally whichever one has the most ammo spare is usually the one that gets used.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I think I might be at the same point.

Agree with the weapons too. Use whatever has the most ammo and hope when running around you spot a previously missed ammo crate.

I've not had too much time on the ps recently and when I have its annoyed me.
I loaded up tombraider the other day and got 10 minutes in and found a glitch meaning I couldn't do bugger all apart from turn it off.

Doom multi player is fun though for a quick blast.

DCi
I rushed through to the end and finished it because I was going to trade in for No Man's Sky.
I've not bothered given the reviews.

However, if you are struggling for ammo remember to use the chainsaw as loads generally pours out when you do that

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
So basically, DOOM was built from the ground up to be an online game. OR. It was play tested by gaming gods. Either way, as a single player campaign FPS it sucks root. Royally.

The game requires, no, DEMANDS that you pursue unlocks. You have no choice if you want to survive. That in itself wouldn't be too bad, if the effort to gain these unlocks was rewarding, but it isn't. Although not strictly an FPS, the likes of the later Tomb Raider games make you want to chase better equipment and it's enjoyable to do so.

DOOM has this weird enemy balance where minions can be dealt with by a simple headshot. Any other character within the DOOM world is a bullet-sponge. Annoyingly, frustratingly so. You get little sense that the weapons you're emptying round after round from are having any affect - other than the Gauss gun or BFG.

Then there's the map. What kind of sick and twisted developer created that thing? It's one half of useless, having little bearing on the world in front of you. Searching the secrets out is painful as slapping your own b****cks - I've really not had such a sense of CBA in an FPS in recent times.

The final blow is that the game is actually broken. A couple of times I've had to quit and redo a lengthy section of game because a level or a button that I was supposed to press, doesn't actually 'press'.

It's better than DOOM3 - but then again, so is sitting in the dark with a bucket on your head. It is not however, a DOOM or DOOM2 replacement. Those fun, intense and panic-inducing game sessions where you're giggling nervously while strafing away from a torrent of inbound fire have long gone and been consigned to history. The Serious Sam games have picked up and carried that throne forward - leaving DOOM to be a very pretty, yet hollow legacy of a genre-defining game.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Glad you enjoyed it, D! :tongueclosed:

I have to confess that I genuinely did enjoy it and I'm currently on the third play-through. It's a lot harder on the highest difficulty (pretty much impossible at times) so I don't think I'll see it through to the end again. That said, the first play-through did hit the right notes for me. I didn't rush it though. I play less games these days but spend more time exploring the maps, seeking objectives, etc. Hence I was happy to go searching for secret items and areas, the classic map areas and so forth. I'm no gaming-God but I didn't find that first play-through too difficult (but certainly challenging at times!) Once I had the Super Shotgun that became my main weapon of choice; pretty much dealt with most lesser-enemies without issue.

It was never going to match Doom 1 (that was a real breakthrough game/moment for me personally) but I'm glad I bought DOOM and have definitely had my money's worth out of it. I've only played the campaign, too. I've not even checked out the multiplayer or other features the game provides.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I wish I had the same feeling m8. I currently feel like I'm five pages from the end of a long novel that started out brilliantly and has increasingly lost my interest. I'm so close to seeing the end though, that it would be silly to quit now!

Nothing 'grabs' me anymore with it. Secret hunting is tedious. Switching to different add-ons on the guns is meh. I just want to shoot s**t - it is DOOM after all. The pew-pew of the pistol is annoying. The side-stepping and shot gunning seems to little impact against anything but imps. Those stupidly-overcharged grunts with the shields. Most things can outrun you. Melee killing stunned enemies should be a 'want' and not the main way to get ANY ammo back. The list goes on.

Apart from when using a few weapons, DOOMguy feels, acts, handles and behaves like he's completely out of his depth. That might be the games aim. But so was Gordon Freeman - yet he still kicked ass. Apart from having to redo chunks of a level - I'm actually glad at times when DOOMguy dies. He deserves it for being so s**t. :smile:

Omg don't mention Gordon freeman...... Utterly utterly loved that game and is probably my all time favourite, loved expansions too. I really need to get it and play it again. The first encounter with soldiers and the ai, using grenades against them. Wow. It was impressive
Hl2 was incredible too!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
PMSL! @Darren S - You're entitled to your own opinion, even if it's wrong... ;)
Just kidding mate, I can see where you're coming from and your sentiments are shared by many others who were left feeling a bit cold by the game.

Talking of HL/HL2 I've just started playing through those again recently (until work got in the way at least). I'm looking forward to playing through those again.

I do agree with some of Darren's points.
The joy and satisfaction of play did fizzle out a bit, did become irritating. I haven't played it in ages and am yet to complete it. Can't help but play and wish I had mouse and keyboard for accuracy and speed!
Tempted to sell as I can see me playing and enjoying titanfall 2 a lot and I want to try bf1 too.
So doubt doom will get a look in as I don't game regularly anyway.

Did they ever make the source engine remake of HL Andy?
The gravity gun on HL2 blew me away.... Epic

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Did they ever make the source engine remake of HL Andy?
The gravity gun on HL2 blew me away.... Epic
Not officially, Dan. A third-party made something called "Black Mesa" which was greenlighted by Steam for early access some time back. That's a remake of HL with the Source engine. It's become a bit of a joke due to the delays and prolonged development period but the developers are looking to aim to complete in summer 2017 (allegedly). I think they are adding additional content as well as honouring the games original content and storyline.

Lol! I remember talk of a remake not long after HL2, then years later them saying it's being delayed etc.
Ffwd 10 years and there's still delays [emoji23] Sadly I don't own my original hl games. No idea what I did with them all or my other games. [emoji20]
Could download and install on laptop and play through TV with wireless keyboard n mouse [emoji106]

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I really enjoyed Doom at the start but got to a point where I just couldn't get past and left it through frustration.
The multiplayer is fun and fast but since Tombraider and Battlefield have been released its just sat on the shelf with other unfinished games. Maybe when there's a lul in releases or I get bored I'll go back and finish it.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I really enjoyed Doom at the start but got to a point where I just couldn't get past and left it through frustration.
The multiplayer is fun and fast but since Tombraider and Battlefield have been released its just sat on the shelf with other unfinished games. Maybe when there's a lul in releases or I get bored I'll go back and finish it.
Do you remember which part you quit on? There have been a few times where I've come close to throwing in the towel, so to speak - but I keep chipping away at it.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yey! Finished it just now - nailed the final boss on my 3rd attempt. Thank f*ck for that - I can have 80GB of SSD space back now.

DOOM - you could have been so epic. You looked great, brilliant back drops and good audio. But what will I walk away from this game remembering the most?
  • Low ammo.
  • Bizarre in-game map - teetering on the verge of being hopeless.
  • Simply CBA secrets - seriously - I just couldn't be bothered finding the correct ledge to double-jump on. Low ammo.
  • Sluggish Marine speed when it appeared that the majority of demons were on speed themselves.
  • Low ammo.
  • Pew-pew of the pistol. Really? It sounded like an accessory that George Jetson would use.
  • No ammo.
The optional arcade modes have their fun element - but it certainly won't be missed when uninstalled.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I really need to get round to finishing this myself. It's just really hard to find the enthusiasm to slog through it.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Yey! Finished it just now - nailed the final boss on my 3rd attempt. Thank f*ck for that - I can have 80GB of SSD space back now.

DOOM - you could have been so epic. You looked great, brilliant back drops and good audio. But what will I walk away from this game remembering the most?
  • Low ammo.
  • Bizarre in-game map - teetering on the verge of being hopeless.
  • Simply CBA secrets - seriously - I just couldn't be bothered finding the correct ledge to double-jump on. Low ammo.
  • Sluggish Marine speed when it appeared that the majority of demons were on speed themselves.
  • Low ammo.
  • Pew-pew of the pistol. Really? It sounded like an accessory that George Jetson would use.
  • No ammo.
  • Low ammo (you missed this important point)
The optional arcade modes have their fun element - but it certainly won't be missed when uninstalled.
There you go mate - edited as you'd missed an important point :)

I don't know why but I really enjoyed it. It was a pain in the ass in terms of difficulty from time to time but I enjoyed it overall and I enjoyed it enough to find all the secrets.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
There you go mate - edited as you'd missed an important point :)

I don't know why but I really enjoyed it. It was a pain in the ass in terms of difficulty from time to time but I enjoyed it overall and I enjoyed it enough to find all the secrets.
Yeah, it was a shame for me. I have such fond memories of pretty much hot-seating with the lads at uni with DOOMs 1&2 that I think I was hoping for something similar.

At times it was great - but others made me quit in comparison. Finishing off the enemies with a pinch seemed to be the only way to survive - a bit too many times - in order to recover ammo and health.

Goliath I
Picked it up for £15. Enjoyed it initally but it's beginning to get a bit repetive. I'll probably crack on with it at least to finish it and play the Doom 1&2 retro unlockable levels.

I find the level process is the same though... walk around, enemies spawn, defeat easy enemies, big enemy (can't remember its name) spawns, use chainsaw/multiple rockets to defeat... walk around, repeat process.

I was excited to get the chainsaw, but I end up saving it for the big uns which takes out the fun.

Yeah. I had mixed feelings with it too Darren.
Seem we feel similarly about the game.

So so good in some aspects, but annoying and tedious in others. I too found the secrets annoying, but I do in most games Tbh. The runes/artifacts missions are particularly crap.

Graphics are cracking as are the animations etc. Looks fantastic! Lots of neat touches. Slick! Liked the character development and weapon upgrades.

Pistol is crap. Silly as the other guns look, sound and feel great!

They've basically done a modern, remastered version of your typical late 90s FPS.... and done it extremely well imo! It is fast, fluid and fun!
Trouble is, the style/game play mechanics of a late 90s shooter does tend to be linear, repetitive and straight forward. It will by its nature, become a tad repetitive.

Today's FPS are, on the whole, a lot more involving, complex and have more depth. Tend to keep your interest right through.

I've still enjoyed playing it, on the whole it's been quite enjoyable.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, it was a shame for me. I have such fond memories of pretty much hot-seating with the lads at uni with DOOMs 1&2 that I think I was hoping for something similar.

At times it was great - but others made me quit in comparison. Finishing off the enemies with a pinch seemed to be the only way to survive - a bit too many times - in order to recover ammo and health.
Pinch?

Punch I meant - flol autocorrect.....

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
Took the plunge earlier. Going to have a blast when the kids (and Amanda) are in bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I was gonna buy this for PC as its still going pretty cheap £10-£15 but keep pulling out at the last minute.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I was gonna buy this for PC as its still going pretty cheap £10-£15 but keep pulling out at the last minute.
It depends what you want from an FPS, I guess. DOOM was never a challenge for me - more rather than it was a test. The difference I found was significant. Rather than being a enjoyable experience as you worked through the level, it became a 'tick-box' of do this, then that, then this. A key one for me was the spawn points of the enemies. I got very good at roughly working out the point that I'd need to step on or across, before masses of enemies appeared.

DOOM had a weird ability to make your Marine seem utterly useless - whether that was by design or a by-product of the games' development, I don't know. Upgrades and unlocks had little benefit. Most things moved quicker than you. Imps had a fireball arc so impossibly accurate - that it made little difference if you were on higher ledges or a significant distance from them. Armour was equipped and them lost rapidly on encountering an enemy. The larger enemies were simply bullet-sponges and none of the larger weapons had that "F*ck yeah!" feeling when you fired your miserly ammo count in the direction of the bad guys.

Worse, it didn't 'flow' at all well for me. The initial Doom games had a brilliant charge-in, guns blazing away vibe to them. Running around corridors, while back-peddling into rooms as the masses closed in on you. You always thought you had a fighting chance - even when down to your last few shotgun rounds and ironically - even when you were killed. With the latest DOOM, you've taken Albert out from the local rest-home. Placed down his cup of tea and removed his copy of the Racing Post. Then tossed the poor bugger into oncoming onslaught of Hell. It feels like that. It plays like that. And it feels messy and flawed because of it.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
DOOM update 6.66 has just gone live... a small 35GB download :) It basically unlocks all multiplayer DLC and includes a complete overhaul of the unlock and progression system. There's also a major update to the HUD, a new runes system and various other changes.

Incidentally, starting tomorrow I believe, Bethesda are also offering a free DOOM weekend starting at 1pm ET. That free period lasts over the weekend and the game will also be available for £12 during that weekend.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
DOOM update 6.66 has just gone live... a small 35GB download :smile: It basically unlocks all multiplayer DLC and includes a complete overhaul of the unlock and progression system. There's also a major update to the HUD, a new runes system and various other changes.

Incidentally, starting tomorrow I believe, Bethesda are also offering a free DOOM weekend starting at 1pm ET. That free period lasts over the weekend and the game will also be available for £12 during that weekend.
Will fire it up once it finishes downloading.. not played in ages

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
DOOM update 6.66 has just gone live... a small 35GB download :smile: It basically unlocks all multiplayer DLC and includes a complete overhaul of the unlock and progression system. There's also a major update to the HUD, a new runes system and various other changes.

Liking the update number - lol!