ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drive shaft seized in hub

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Trying to do a split abs ring but the passenger side splined shaft is well stuck in the hub, tried smacking it but with a 4lb lump hammer it will not budge. Any tips short of draining the gearbox and taking the shaft out to get it pressed out?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Grrr..this car has been so reliable for 5 years, starting to be a pain now

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I did it about 4 years ago so it's not a bad thing

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Hub puller over the end of the shaft may be enough to free it off, would give constant pressure rather than just the impact from a hammer

Audi A8
Hub puller plus BFH helped me before with a similar issue on an MX5 where the disc was stuck fast onto the hub.

Bloody loud bang when it finally let go!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Be careful using a lump hammer on it, don't want to damage the threads. I had a similar issue at the weekend on my Mini, I used a socket over the hub nut (with the nut backed off), a lump hammer and some heat. It eventually went.

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, if you're going to hammer it out, always thread an old driveshaft nut on a good few turns first. Means the nut gets fucked before the shaft,

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Got the bu##er off! Nut back on and a copper hammer, not sure how much abuse the bearing can take like that though?