ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DSLR Buying Guide

What camera do I want to buy? Seems to be a fairly common question now, so lets see if we can help with that.

There are 2 main brands. Canon & Nikon. Other popular ones are Sony and Olympus. I've only listed Canon & Nikon as IMO that's where you should be putting your money. The others are good, just not as good. If someone wants to do the same as I've done for the others then feel free and I'll add it on. Stick to my format though ;)

All prices have come straight from the Jessops site, so they might be a bit cheaper in other places. I just did it for a guide.

First off, the best thing to do is go into Jessops or somewhere and have a play with them. See what feels best in your hands, see what feels most comfortable to hold, use, menus etc. With a first DSLR you have no brand loyalty, you don't have to worry about lenses fitting etc, so you're free to chose any you like.

Next comes price, now obviously if you're just starting out you don't want to spend thousands on a pro camera, so I'm going to presume you want the base models..

Nikon..

The D3000 and D5000 have replaced the D40 and D60 respectively. You may find the older models for sale still, but they have been discontinued now. The D90 is the next stage up and what is known as "pro-sumer" a mixture of consumer camera and a pro model without getting into the really high end cameras that cost thousands. It's not going to be the best starting point for a beginner but if you have the cash and some patience, then it's a great camera.

D3000

There is no auto-focus in the body of this camera. Meaning any lens you buy that wish to AF with, the motor will have to be in the lens. This isn't really a big deal. 99% of lenses have the motor built in. The only notable exception is the 50mm f1.8.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_d3000.asp

ANIKOCM205151568.jpg

ANIKOCM205151568_001.jpg

Current price : £479 with 18-55mm kit lens

D5000

There is no auto-focus in the body of this camera. Meaning any lens you buy that wish to AF with, the motor will have to be in the lens. This isn't really a big deal. 99% of lenses have the motor built in. The only notable exception is the 50mm f1.8.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/

ANIKOCM205149380.jpg

ANIKOCM205149380_004.jpg

Current price : £549 with 18-55mm kit lens

D90

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond90/

ANIKOCM205141342.jpg

ANIKOCM205141342_001.jpg

Current price : £799 with 18-105mm kit lens

Canon..

1000D

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1000d/

ACANOCM205147142.jpg

ACANOCM205147142_001.jpg

Current price : £399 with 18-55mm kit lens

450D

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos450d/

ACANOCM205130662_002.jpg

ACANOCM205130662_001.jpg

Current price : £499 with 18-55mm kit lens

500D

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos500d/

ACANOCM205148849.jpg

ACANOCM205148849_001.jpg

Current price : £599 with 18-55mm kit lens

50D

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/

ACANOCM205141316.jpg

ACANOCM205141316_001.jpg

Current price : £1065 with 17-85mm kit lens

Last edited:
To be fair to Nikon, the D5000 is much better than the D60, its a sort of entry level + model as it gets the same CMOS sensor as the D90/D300, 11 point AF, 3D tracking etc etc. It kind of replaces nothing as the D3000 just seems to be an overall replacement as the true entry level for Nikon replacing both the D40 and D60 as it still has a CCD sensor.

And who needs a 50mm, 35mm is much better on a crop sensor :)

Fiat Panda 100hp
I'm so proud Dan, you've come so far in so little time. Was not long you was taking your first pictures with your D50 and 50mm and look at you now, writing your very own guides!

I'm so proud Dan, you've come so far in so little time. Was not long you was taking your first pictures with your D50 and 50mm and look at you now, writing your very own guides!

lol, I had a D40 first. But had no idea what I was doing at that point. We'll have even more of these type of threads towards Christmas, so thought it was a good thing to try and do.. Plus I was slacking at work :eek:

It was all supplied with the camera, to be fair ;)

In-built talent. No idea what I'm going to do with a D90, it won't have it. Are you going to sell me yours? ;)

Plus I had a crafty PM ;)

Haha, true. You've probably had them all and I had no idea about the Canon range :eek:

It's A Reno
Is there any real differences between the Nikon and Canon range of cameras, or is it like choosing between a C1 and a 107?

If we pick the Nikon range, what more do you get from a D5000 over a D3000? Is it things that a DSLR newby would notice or what only a seasoned photographer could appreciate?

Are cameras like some other techy gadgets, and it is best to spend as much as you can afford and go straight for something like the D90 or would it be total wasted on them if they hadn't got experience with "simpler" cameras?
On that note, what does a D90 do which better than the rest of the range?

Sorry for the numpty questions. :eek:

D5000 has a swivel LCD, video, CMOS sensor rather than CCD (same sensor as found in the D90/D300), live view and a few other features. Its high iso/low light shooting is way ahead of the D3000.

D90 adds a bigger screen, top LCD, lens motor in body and more buttons with easier access to a number of settings.

Image quality is said to be the same on the D5000/D90 (most reviews agree), and both are a step up from the D3000.

The lack of focus motor in the D5000 makes the D90 more attractive, but the price of the D5000 has dropped since launch and can picked up for a lot less, and as Revels said, most lenses now come with motors.

Spends on your budget TBH!

I'm sure others will have there say!

It's A Reno
Ideally, I want a camera (if/when I get round buying one) that isn't going to overwhelm me, but I'm not going to outgrow in a short period of time.
If the D90 or similar is the best without going cash crazy and is going to humour an newby's shortcomings, then that is the way I will go, but this is all very new to me.

A red missile
Nothing between the two really unless you're talking the mega money cameras, the experts (Andy Rouse's not mine) opinion is that Nikon have the better lenses and Canon have the better sensors - that said the differences will likely be marginal, either will give brilliant results.

Even as a staunch Canon head i'll say that the Nikons have a more quality feel, when I bought my first DSLR it was a Canon 300D, the missus bought a Nikon D70 about 3 months later and had she bought first I would have probably gone Nikon - it was a light years away better camera, the 300D was slow and clunky compared to the D70, the results were very similar but the Nikon felt sharper and had a much better build quality.

One other thing, as for humouring a newbie - they all do, stick it in full auto until you get more confident with settings etc and either will still produce very good quality images.

And JJ is dead right, it all depends on your budget, it can go from reasonable to needing pockets so deep you need a crane to get to the bottom of them, but again a lot of people (me included) will suggest putting your money into better glass rather than a whizz bang range topping camera.

In your position I'd go into Jessops and have a prod with various models and go with what feels right - but when the time to buy comes, check out www.camerapricebuster.co.uk i've yet to find better prices than they list.

It's A Reno
Thanks for that Lord 63 of 500 (incidentally, change that name ffs. It takes too long to type).
It looking likely it will be a Nikon as it seems more people like them, but I'll see what happens when I have a fondle of them.
It's good to know that they are all noob friendly and with that in mind, I may end up throwing some cash at something tasty.

You talk about glass, but what exactly would I need to give me the ability to take snaps in all the various situations I may find myself in?

Ta

C250 AMG & 172 Cup
This guide has helped me alot so firstly thanks Revels.

Secondly, im a complete Camera noob and dont really have that much of an interest in photography, however i know my mrs really wants a decent camera so its on the xmas shopping list. Id been looking at the Cannon 500D, shes never had a DSLR before, nor used one, neither have I. How easy are they to get to grips with, and will the standard lens that comes with the 500D be good enough for everyday shots? Nothing majorly fancy, but holiday pics, weekends away, nights out and nights to remember etc??

BMW E46 330i Touring
Just wondering, is the original guide still applicable in terms of the recommended models?

If not, would a slight update be in order?

197 FF Glacier White
Good guide, but I went for the Pentax K-x, superb, rave reviews too. Exclude at your peril!

Now Sold :-(
Have been reading this thread with interest. Looking at stepping into the DSLR world but guess things have moved on since this thread was created as the model numbers have moved on.
So what would the CS photography experts recommend for a first time DSLR buyer with a budget of around £600.
I'm pretty technically minded and willing to learn but need something the wife can use in auto/easy mode when necessary.
I assume an 18-55mm lens will be enough to get started with and will need to factor in a tripod/bag/memory card with the price.
I've been looking at the Nikon D3100?

alien green rs133
i have just got the d5100 and would recommend it to anyone

i know it means spending that little bit more but it is pretty damn good

For your budget, the D3100 would be best, the 18-55mm lens would be fine for most everyday situations.

I can't comment on what Canon can offer, I'm not saying don't get a Canon, they're great cameras too, but I'm a Nikon so I know nothing about them.

As you say, a bag and memory card would be essential, don't worry about filters for the moment.

A tripod is a bit of a luxury, if you're wanting to do a lot of landscape stuff, or long exposure shots then a tripod would be essential too.

Now Sold :-(
Cheers for the quick reply gents.
Think I may well go with the D3100 as it appears to meet all my needs and be user friendly.
Fingers crossed will be able to practice with my new toy at CS Saturday on the 30th. :D

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
For your budget, the D3100 would be best, the 18-55mm lens would be fine for most everyday situations.

I can't comment on what Canon can offer, I'm not saying don't get a Canon, they're great cameras too, but I'm a Nikon so I know nothing about them.

As you say, a bag and memory card would be essential, don't worry about filters for the moment.

A tripod is a bit of a luxury, if you're wanting to do a lot of landscape stuff, or long exposure shots then a tripod would be essential too.

ive just purchased the above this weekend as its my slr and reading reviews is a good starting point. looking forward to taking some decent pics now :)

clio 182 black /gold
i have just got the d5100 and would recommend it to anyone

i know it means spending that little bit more but it is pretty damn good
I have a Nikon D70 and im after upgrading. Is the 5100 better than the D70? Or should i get a better model?

Mk2 ph1 clio
Anyone got any views on the Canon 1100D for a newbie to photgraphy. Not going to be doing any stunning shots but would like to get into it on a budget.

At Jessops for £359 atm: http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/80181/show.html

The 1100D isn't a bad camera though (550D would be better long term though) my mother uses it and get's some cracking images. Also it's very easy to use if you've never owned a DSLR before.