ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E91 Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo - A slight downgrade

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Side repeaters and lower grill ordered.

Still undecided on the stripes.....

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Really like these - just something about the way they look :cool:

Not sure if I could justify the premium these fetch over an M-Sport specced six-pot diesel powered BMW?
You pay for the specialness, then again you get more back at the end too.

Dunno really, I've had a 335d X drive. This is a nice change.

This thread made me go off looking for ones for sale - & I keep drooling over that one on Millennium Heroes too!:tongueout:

.... Why have I just spent all my money doing up a 70s VW compact saloon??? (see Avatar) 😊

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Car looks great, get the Jewish racing gold stickers - I think it looks great.

So you mentioned the suspension was Bilstein, I assume they use Eibach springs with them?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Car looks great, get the Jewish racing gold stickers - I think it looks great.

So you mentioned the suspension was Bilstein, I assume they use Eibach springs with them?
Yus they do.

Replacement set from BMW = £900
Replacement set from Bilsrtien/Eibach = £450.

Robbing BMW.

Some parts came today:
New wipers all round (so I can see....)
New boot gas struts
New front and rear badging
New centre cap badging

And a Alpina Key ring! Wooo.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Guy lives local to me with an E91 Alpina Blue (not sure which Blue they did them in) on the optimal multispoke wheels, It makes me swoon whenever I see it.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Ooh very nice barge you have sir. I see you've refrained from posting a pic of the fairy light steeing wheel, craftily distracting most with the gold stickers! C'mon, we've all seen knight rider before, get a pic up.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Ooh very nice barge you have sir. I see you've refrained from posting a pic of the fairy light steeing wheel, craftily distracting most with the gold stickers! C'mon, we've all seen knight rider before, get a pic up.
Enjoy

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I won't lie. After having this for a week I kinda want an E90 M3. This thing is f**king great.

The drive is spot on. Its done 550 miles to a tank too. Good car.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Update:

I've done 3000 miles in it so far. In that time I've killed the rear Toyo's somehow. So I'm having some Rain Sports fitted on Thurs.

MPG is good. Motorway - 51mpg. Rest of the time I'm getting 45mpg. I'm currently saving £200 a month in fuel alone over the RS3.

I've not had the front painted yet.....

Boring fact.

Genuine Alpina wheels have the valve under the centre cap!

E9CF01CB-62F2-4ED7-BA76-F6CD5C0515F1.jpg

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
So I've got a quote for my local matey BMW body shop for spraying these parts...

Bumper
Bonnet
Wings
Front doors
Rear doors
Both Rear quarters

£950..... Hmmmmmm.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
You've got the wrong car. A proper V8 petrol alpina is the one you want!

I joke, this is very nice. They do look great and I love the alpina wheels

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Considering that's everything barring the rear bumper, boot and roof, that's good.
Yeah its just deciding if I want to take the car from where it is now:

Now odd paint = £0
Paint the front and make it passable = £350
Paint nearly all of it and have it mint = £950

I'm not sure where the value is. Its turning into a bit of a restoration.

If I go:
Paint = £950
Wheels = £400
Head lights = £400

Total = £1750

It will literally be factory fresh. All in after the tyres and other little bits I've bought I'd be £2300 into it. I'm not sure I'd see that back..... Now the head lights don't need doing either, but in for a penny in for a pound.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Whichever you choose, it will still be cheaper than running an RS3 :tongueout:
This 100%.

The RS3 was losing about £800 a month in value. This isn't losing anything. So I guess after 3 months I have technically paid off the resto....

If you like it enough to hold onto it for a year, do the resto, or it will just grate with you.

If you're in any doubt, dont and punt it sooner rather than later.

But yeah, compared to the £/mile of the RS3, this will be cheap even if you rebuild it from the ground up.

That paint quote is astoundingly cheap, is that just an external blowover with all the trim left in place and masked?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
If you like it enough to hold onto it for a year, do the resto, or it will just grate with you.

If you're in any doubt, dont and punt it sooner rather than later.

But yeah, compared to the £/mile of the RS3, this will be cheap even if you rebuild it from the ground up.

That paint quote is astoundingly cheap, is that just an external blowover with all the trim left in place and masked?
Full strip down. Trim off, new trim back on....