ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Eibach sportlines causing wheels to rub on arches

Clio Sport 182
I was recommended and have read a ton of posts about the sportlines being a good upgrade - and I done my first trackday on them on my standard 182 wheels 205/45/16 and have destroyed my inner arches and shaven the outer tyre off going through the liner and touching the metal.
Is this normal? I'm going down to some 15 inch wheels hopefully in the region of 195/50/15 as I can get really good prices on track rubber. Are these much smaller than what I have now? I'd imagine I want it about 2cm smaller in height by looking at the damage done :( any suggestions?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've never taken my 182 on track, but I'm on my 2nd set of Sportlines with OEM dampers and have never had issues before.

Totally agree with your 15" step down though. Thought mine looked great with them on. Had track rubber on there too (naughty) for the few days they were on.

Clio Sport 182
I've never taken my 182 on track, but I'm on my 2nd set of Sportlines with OEM dampers and have never had issues before.

Totally agree with your 15" step down though. Thought mine looked great with them on. Had track rubber on there too (naughty) for the few days they were on.
Road it's been fine no issues with so ever but I was up at brands Hatch and it really didn't like the high speed corners once the track dried out, it was fine when I was going slower in the damp.
I've been told the 205(195)/45/16 is the same overall height as what most tyres come in at 195/50/15

Clio 172 Merc ML55
How old are rear axle bushes? Changing mine to polys made a huge difference, Don't remember any scrubbing on track before changing them but the car felt a lot more stable afterwards

Clio Sport 182
How old are rear axle bushes? Changing mine to polys made a huge difference, Don't remember any scrubbing on track before changing them but the car felt a lot more stable afterwards
Never looked to be fair so probably old, would that cause the front to have problems? I have considered doing all of them genuine as I daily it 100 miles a day and don't fancy doing it on poly

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Never looked to be fair so probably old, would that cause the front to have problems? I have considered doing all of them genuine as I daily it 100 miles a day and don't fancy doing it on poly

Sorry I thought I'd read that it was the rears lol, if your shocks are ok then for me the next things to check would be bushes

Clio Sport 182
Sorry I thought I'd read that it was the rears lol, if your shocks are ok then for me the next things to check would be bushes
I think I'll just go for an overhaul on both. It is only on very hard corners it's doing this at 70 and 80+ mph bit I'd rather not a blowout at that speed if I can help it lol

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I think I'll just go for an overhaul on both. It is only on very hard corners it's doing this at 70 and 80+ mph bit I'd rather not a blowout at that speed if I can help it lol

It certainly won't do any harm, the rear axle bushes are a bit of a mare mind I you do them yourself, I ended up having to burn out the rubber bush and then cut the metal sleeve to get that part out too

Clio Sport 182
I d
It certainly won't do any harm, the rear axle bushes are a bit of a mare mind I you do them yourself, I ended up having to burn out the rubber bush and then cut the metal sleeve to get that part out too
I done my dad's laguna ones (2004) and they was an absolute nightmare to do! I'll see how brave I feel and may wait til it's warmer to do before going there if it's anything like that.
I'm sort of hoping they are good so I don't need to go there, but hoping it is so it sorts out the problem. Maybe I'm just hitting them too hard on the size of the wheels lol (hope not being factory sizes!)

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Dodgy/incorrect springs maybe? I've heard one or two stories of the wrong springs being shipped but in the correct packaging, if you get my drift?

Clio Sport 182
Dodgy/incorrect springs maybe? I've heard one or two stories of the wrong springs being shipped but in the correct packaging, if you get my drift?
I had sportlines and prolines delivered from demon tweeks and looked identical apart from colour so I hope not as my mates got a set on now haha. The problem is only on hard high speed cornering and not had a problem in months up until the trackday.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
@dane0's probably a mega-hero on track :tongueout::cool:.

Don't think I'm at any risk of arch rubbing for sure 😂!

mk1 Octavia VRS
What tyres were you using? Can you post up some pics of where they have rubbed? My car is on Eibach pro-kit springs and cup shocks and I've not really had any issues with 195/50/15 tyres. The 195/45/16s on the standard wheels are fine too but I haven't used those on track.

Maybe the arch liners have been removed before and not re-fitted correctly?

Clio Sport 182
@dane0's probably a mega-hero on track :tongueout::cool:.

Don't think I'm at any risk of arch rubbing for sure 😂!
Haha I wouldn't say that!!
I had the fastest laps I've ever done up there though on Michelin pilot sport 3's. 1.03 seconds (GPS) on a damp day. It really was pushing hard and it definitely was leaning into the corners a bit. I got these springs as an 'upgrade' haha. At least I get a cool 'whoshy' noise drawing all eyes on the clio over the r8 that day so some good came out of it, you know promote the clio and all that!!

Clio Sport 182
What tyres were you using? Can you post up some pics of where they have rubbed? My car is on Eibach pro-kit springs and cup shocks and I've not really had any issues with 195/50/15 tyres. The 195/45/16s on the standard wheels are fine too but I haven't used those on track.

Maybe the arch liners have been removed before and not re-fitted correctly?
The front half (bottom that tucks under bumper) is not fitted at all. And it's gone through that hitting the metal lip and shaved a chunk off the tyre. Maybe 195/45 would be a little better as it's only slight by the looks of it... But loud enough!

Clio Sport 182
Here's some crappy pictures as I don't have the keys on me to lock the wheel

Attachments

• DSC_0094.JPG
    DSC_0094.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0096.JPG
    DSC_0096.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 123

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Doubt it'll be the eibachs. Sounds like the arch liners haven't been secured or something, or are 205's too wide? Presuming you're on std wheels.

Clio Sport 182
On the picture similar to this above, it's rubbing on the lip to the left of the bolt. This one shows the liner better

Edit- this is drivers side, and outer part of the arch. Obviously when I'm turning left and the cars leaning right the outer tyre is hitting into this. And the same on the passenger side too.

Attachments

• DSC_0095.JPG
    DSC_0095.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 105
  Clio Sport 182
Doubt it'll be the eibachs. Sounds like the arch liners haven't been secured or something, or are 205's too wide? Presuming you're on std wheels.
Yup standard 182 wheels. 205 is standard size in these. I'd have thought there'd be some marginal space between the tyre and arch (metal part) when using the eibach, enough for 195/205 to be well clear

None
I had the same issue this weekend.
My 182 is on eibach spring and the standard 205/45/16 wheels, which I have two sets of.
The first set is on Rainsport 3s and has no issues at all
The second is on Pilot Sports and rubbed on the arches as soon as I put them on. Around Bedford Autodrome on Saturday, the rubbing on the front aches was audible and by the end of the day I'd lost one front plastic arch cover, with the other chewed to bits (it also ripped out a front headlight washer too).
I thought lots of people ran this configuration. What hell is wrong with my car? :)

None
The rear shocks need changing, so might just throw money at it (I should have just bought a nearly new Abarth)

Clio Sport 182
Bloody hell this is an olď thread lol. I ended up changing my shocks for genuine new ones from Paul at rpd and got myself some 15 inch 195 tyres and the problem never showed face again. As previously mentioned when it was doing it for me it was hitting the solid part of the arch and not just the plastic liner.
I'd imagine it was a mix of sloppy shocks along with the wider tyres and slightly higher profile tyres all added up. 205/45 are 9mm taller floor to top in height compared to 195/45 along with being 10mm wider too (5mm each side of centre). mine wasn't banging too hard but was extremely loud rubbing noise made everyone look. Maybe that 1cm in height makes all of the difference as once I was low tread it pretty much stopped.
It may be worth investing in some track wheels, it works out cheaper buying 15 tyres sometimes half of the price of 205/45/16 so they end up paying for themselves in the long run, and they sell like hot cakes should you need to sell up.

Clio Sport 182
As imprezaworks said they are really cheap and you will be surprised how well it changes if they are old. Piss easy to change too and no need for spring compressors which is an added bonus!

None
A set of four new cup shocks from Renault is less than £150.

How much is the fiat?

I'm already £1k in with servicing/belts/tyres etc. I think the depreciation on the 595 would be less! But I always wanted one of these, so I suppose I stop moaning and spend all my pay on it...

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
The 1000 spent on belts is something certainty to consider when buying a clio.

Have fun :)

Clio Sport 182
Once up and running you'll love it. Makes the fiat look like a kids toy on track :)

Clio Sport 182
Yeah they are quite good especially for a fiat. I'm just not 100% sure on the looks of them. One day I do and one day I don't like them lol. A guy at work has the baby 395 it looks the part but doesn't move haha