ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Elite sequel - Elite : Dangerous

Re: Elite sequel

Meh. Just get X3. It's basically a modern day Elite.

Be careful though, my friends and family thought I had died when I got X3. I disappeared for about 6 weeks.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Re: Elite sequel

Looks like they've come a long way with this. Chatting to Cookie yesterday and he forwarded the link below....

http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

Potentially a life-destroyer, this. I remember so many conversations in the school-yard about games of Elite. I never knew anyone who actually obtained that rank however. I know I certainly didn't!

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just seen an update on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJzizYUEF9c&index=12&list=WL.

Looks really exciting. Hope it is as good as it looks. I must make sure I finish my race car before I buy into it!

@Darren S I was dangerous on the acorn electron and deadly on spectrum+ lol ;)

If you don't know what I'm talking about have a look

I remember playing this on my mate's BBC Micro B. Apparently there were loads of ships - each marked with a little asterix in the back of the manual - that you couldn't have because the 32k memory of the BBC was too small!

I got the C64 version and had the luxury of all the ships - lol! The later games which I bought when I was at uni on the PC were never the same. I really hope this one pulls it off. It could be a destroyer of all social life for many people....

D.

Goliath I
The combat beta gameplay doesn't look much different to X3. They will need to pull something really special to give it an 'elite' feel and fresh game.

Wonder if they'll opt for the once you're dead you're dead game, like the original. Or at least as brutal as Dark Souls.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I've lost the last 5 days of my life to it. It's great! There are issues with the beta but that's what it exists for I guess.

Cayman S Edition 1
I've lost the last 5 days of my life to it. It's great! There are issues with the beta but that's what it exists for I guess.
What controller are you using? I have an xbox controller. Don't really want to fork out on a joystick if I can help it.

Cayman S Edition 1
I never did get around to buying it, as I bought an Xbone last Nov and haven't gamed on the PC since.

Apparently its coming to the console soon though...

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
What was missing for you?

From what I've gathered this could be the beginnings of a future classic.. Granted I've played for hours so far.
Trading is dull, mining is s**t, combat is s**t. Flight model feels weird, even playing with a joystick. It's just a remade copy of Elite, doesn't move the game on at all. Even the pre-alpha builds of Star Citizen are better.
I enjoyed it for maybe ten hours, before I realised the game wasn't going anywhere. It was barely finished when they released it tbf.

Goliath I
Early Access has just come available on Xbox for £24.99 along with a 60 min demo.

Had a quick shot earlier and it's only the training missions you can play. I liked the small things, like activating your guns they come out of your ship accompanied with a cool whirring sound.

Even though you've just got a controller, the menu in menu options allow you to access various ship options.

The whole docking, landing process is pretty cool but may get a bit tedious after repetitive play.

It reminds me if X3, though it seems it could be very vast, yet very underpopulated.

Anyone recently played either the full version on PC or the demo?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Early Access has just come available on Xbox for £24.99 along with a 60 min demo.

Had a quick shot earlier and it's only the training missions you can play. I liked the small things, like activating your guns they come out of your ship accompanied with a cool whirring sound.

Even though you've just got a controller, the menu in menu options allow you to access various ship options.

The whole docking, landing process is pretty cool but may get a bit tedious after repetitive play.

It reminds me if X3, though it seems it could be very vast, yet very underpopulated.

Anyone recently played either the full version on PC or the demo?
Got it on PC. It's a cool game, not very easy to get into IMO though.

Very beautiful game, but that probably won't apply as much on consoles. The take off checklist gets disabled after the first time you do it. Landing and take off otherwise are easy once you get used to it.

It's a nice looking game, but boring as fcuk sadly. I'll agree with Cookie on that one. Nevermind, when they do another "Kickstarter" of it in 50 years, I'll still have this one boxed up. xD

Goliath I
My Laptop probably couldn't run it.

Shame about the opinions. X3 is 10 years old and still sounds superior.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
It's a nice looking game, but boring as fcuk sadly. I'll agree with Cookie on that one. Nevermind, when they do another "Kickstarter" of it in 50 years, I'll still have this one boxed up. xD
I tried to play it again the other day, and within 30 seconds I was incredibly angry at the interface. Just so f**king awkward.

I tried to play it again the other day, and within 30 seconds I was incredibly angry at the interface. Just so f**king awkward.

Man I think I forced myself to play with a mate for about 3 hours, and every f**king time I'd do something wrong due to the stupid interface - one of the worst I've ever used!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Well the tiny amount that I've put into it - was immediately marred by the worrying 'accuracy' of the area of convergence.

Anyone with the slightest g33kdom regarding military planes of old will realise that the wing-mounted guns were canted inwards to a slight degree - so that the bullets converged in an area up front. Why then, was the tutorial mission of destroying those toxin canisters, so bloody difficult?

When I positioned the target in the middle of the reticle - the rounds simply failed to hit the canister. I tried varying distances away from the target - some very close up to a long way away and very few rounds came into contact with the target. So then I allowed for that - slewing left and right to get the barrel 'lined up' with where the target was in space. It worked, but it was very, very random as to when I knew the rounds would strike the target in front of me.

In all my years of leading targets and deflection shots through many, many games - I've yet to across the weirdness I had with the Elite tutorial. Hopefully the same problem won't transpire to the core game itself?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Admittedly I've not put many hours at all into it, I'm still thoroughly addicted to a MOBA called HoN so any other game receives, best case, an hour or so at a time.

My experience is that it's a fun to play game, although a little hard to get into. The dog fighting is great fun and the graphics are just beautiful, worth it alone for that. The first time I got a kill in a fight, the graphics felt like they were on par with the CGI in your latest hollywood movies.

Anyway, I certainly wouldn't call it boring- but then it depends on the type of game you're after I suppose. Space games tend to be a bit slow paced in my experience. I probably wouldn't pay £40 for it again though....

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Admittedly I've not put many hours at all into it, I'm still thoroughly addicted to a MOBA called HoN so any other game receives, best case, an hour or so at a time.

My experience is that it's a fun to play game, although a little hard to get into. The dog fighting is great fun and the graphics are just beautiful, worth it alone for that. The first time I got a kill in a fight, the graphics felt like they were on par with the CGI in your latest hollywood movies.

Anyway, I certainly wouldn't call it boring- but then it depends on the type of game you're after I suppose. Space games tend to be a bit slow paced in my experience. I probably wouldn't pay £40 for it again though....

Thankfully, I dodged that hit. It was discounted on Steam and I had a couple of quid randomly left on my account. I ended up paying about £23 for it, so it's not too bad. I'm more annoyed at paying £39.99 for GTAV and it running like dogshit, unless I turn off features on my PC that are supposed to make game run bloody quicker! :rage:

Goliath I
It's on Xbox for £24.99 as an early access, but I'm not sure if that means you get the full game on release, or if you have to pay extra towards it.

As I said, just playing the tutorial it seemed to be the little things that appealed to me, like your screen being smashed and (I'm assuming) having a certain amount of time to get it repaired before your oxygen runs out.

Still on the fence about it.

Goliath I
Gave in and bought it. Done almost all the training missions and jumped into the main game...

I have no real clue where to start, can anyone give any pointers? Send me in the direction of any beginners video/thread walk-throughs etc...

Do missions off the bulletin board until you can afford to upgrade your ship/weapons (I went to Cobra mk3 and am still in it), then do some assassination missions.
I haven't found a decent trade route and gave up looking because the BB was so much more lucrative.
I think it's the sort of game that'll have a smaller cult following rather than being a blockbuster - just like the original I guess.
I'm about 10 hours in mostly harmless with about 5 million in assets.

Cayman S Edition 1
Gave in and bought it. Done almost all the training missions and jumped into the main game...

I have no real clue where to start, can anyone give any pointers? Send me in the direction of any beginners video/thread walk-throughs etc...
Is it worth buying on the Xbox? I need a new game to play and just can't decide if this would get boring or not.

Goliath I
I've put a good few hours in so far and I'm still really really not 100% sure what exactly I'm doing lol

Mainly been doing missions off the Bulletin Board as that seems to be the easiest way to make money. I had kitted out my ship for mining, but just couldn't find anywhere to sell the stuff I had mined.

The lack of obvious storyline or direction seems to be what's holding this game back for me. Though compared to other games I've bought, for £25 I've say I'd gotten my monies worth so far

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
If its true to the original, that's kind of the point. Elite was the "road sweeper simulator" (but in space) of its day.

melchy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182, BMW M240i
I started this thread over 4 years ago :astonished: I've put in around 1200 hours since it was released. The next big patch is released to beta on Monday 27th. It includes multi-crew and an avatar creator. I entirely understand that it is a marmite game, but as a huge fan of Elite and Frontier I just love it :smile:

The Playstation 4 release should finally not be all that far away. It'll be interesting to see if it runs at 4K on the PS4 Pro.

Goliath I
Bought it during the Preview release, only got the the base game and none of the expansions. Find it quite difficult to get back into, might start again? Found two cannisters which apparently can be sold on the blackmarket, but cant for the life of me find somewhere to sell it. Seems to have quite the learning curve.