ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Extending wheel track?

182 Cup
When Renault brought out the 182 I believe they extended the track by using wheels with an offset of ET45. So is that as far as you can go? By using a wheel with an offset of ET44 (or 43 or 42 etc.) the track would be further increased.

I'm guessing that increasing the track too far would have a negative effect on wheel bearing life and would be limited to the available space within the wheel arch before fouling occurs?

Would increasing the track improve performance in any way?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Waiting to find out when I purchase tyres for for my SuperTurismos. Had no choice but to buy the wheels in e.t 37.:eek:

182 Cup
That's an additional 8mm on the outer face - be interesting to see what happens. Is it lowered at all or standard ride height?

BMW M135i
I've fitted my old superturismos to my 172 which has widened the track by 11.5mm each side (ET48.5 standard/ET37 SuperT) so a total of 21mm and I haven't had any problems. Its lowered(ish) on eibach pro-kits.

That made a massive difference to the handling, seeing as I fitted them all at the same time I don't know whether the springs/track/F1s made the most difference. I have to be pushing very hard to get any understeer now and it likes to tripod a lot.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
That's an additional 8mm on the outer face - be interesting to see what happens. Is it lowered at all or standard ride height?

Standard at the mo. Will be changing to H & R's later in the year, only planning on 20-30 mm drop all round. Hoping they won't rub.:eek:

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I've fitted my old superturismos to my 172 which has widened the track by 11.5mm each side (ET48.5 standard/ET37 SuperT) so a total of 21mm and I haven't had any problems. Its lowered(ish) on eibach pro-kits.

That made a massive difference to the handling, seeing as I fitted them all at the same time I don't know whether the springs/track/F1s made the most difference. I have to be pushing very hard to get any understeer now and it likes to tripod a lot.

Sounds like I might be in for the same sort of treatment?

Tripod? What's this about?:S

BMW M135i
Tripod you should know by now! 3 wheel action.

Hmm depends what else your doing other than fitting the wheels?

Clio 172 ff
I doubt you'll get rid of it with coilovers. It'll probably more pronounced, actually, as the suspension will be firmer. But in general it's natural for a 1*2 to tripod under hard cornering. It doesn't really happen on my 172 with standard suspension, though -- at least not on winter tyres (haven't had a track day on summer rubber, yet) -- but I've seen many pictures testament to it.

(edit: could be I'm not driving it hard enough, though. But if I'm trying, I usually get loads of understeer on turn in. Which also maybe a result of my driving. :()

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
(edit: could be I'm not driving it hard enough, though. But if I'm trying, I usually get loads of understeer on turn in. Which also maybe a result of my driving. )

It sounds as though you are approaching the corners too fast. If you go into a corner at a slightly slower speed, you'll get more grip. Then if you lift off the throttle ever so slightly it should tripod. But don't try it in rush hour traffic on the roads.

tiTTy & SV650
they have different front hubs and suspension, the wider track isn't purely due to the wheels!

Clio 172 ff
(edit: could be I'm not driving it hard enough, though. But if I'm trying, I usually get loads of understeer on turn in. Which also maybe a result of my driving. )

It sounds as though you are approaching the corners too fast. If you go into a corner at a slightly slower speed, you'll get more grip. Then if you lift off the throttle ever so slightly it should tripod. But don't try it in rush hour traffic on the roads.
A bit OT, but: I reckon trail braking might be a solution to my understeer problem. If I do it right, I should be able to carry the same speed but have less understeer, shouldn't I? I'm working on that. And no, I'm not trying it in rush hour traffic, just on the track. :)