ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flat spots whilst accelerating

Sometimes, though not always, I keep hitting flat spots between 4-7000rpm when accelerating hard. It picks up like it should around 4000, then occasionaly it really struggles up to 7000. Also the idling is a bit lumpy.

Ive cleaned the idle control valve with some cleaning spray. The car has had new leads pretty recently too. I also changed the fuel filter 2 weeks ago so it cant be that. Is there anything else I should check for?

FRST and 106 GTi

sorry but Im of no good help. Never had to deal with flat spots when reving.

the only thing that I can think about is air filter and how is the weather?

what spark plugs are you runing? cold ones?

one thing that would fix engine "lazyness" its high octane fuel and ride the car in 5th gear at 5000rpm for an hour or so... high speed traveling. The engine would be "rats" free. :)

Mk2 172

BUTRE....What planet are you on???

Has your 1.8 been chipped? Air filer is a good suggestion though (take it out and check there are no "rats" stuck in it). You may also be running rich because your advance/r****d may be faulty. I have not got a 1.8 so I am only guessing.

BUTRE!!! what are you talking about! lol

Itll either be a fueling or ignition problem....DOH! lol

but from here, we cant really diagnose it!

Check your ECU temperature thing. Cant remember the exact name, but the flat spot I have been getting is down to it. The thermostat isnt telling the ecu the proper temperature. Its always saying its hot, and in that case when its cold its not putting enough fuel in.

They are only about £20 on the RT, wouldnt think they are any more expensive on the valver.

Paul

Quote: Originally posted by DTWD on 01 May 2003

They are only about £20 on the RT, wouldnt think they are any more expensive on the valver.

Lol - never bought a vavler part a? even if its exactly the same its still double the price!

Thanks for responses everyone. Ive got a K & N element in the std airbox, and I took it out and cleaned it so its not that. Ill try and change the plugs today and see if that helps. Going to take it to Hillpower over the next few weeks for a chip, so see if that changes anything.