ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

French Boost Project

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Turns out it was the crank sensor. I think the garage must've nudged it when they were modifying the exhaust today.

Still got a massive blow coming from somewhere though which is annoying.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Boooooooost!

437A2565-8775-4C89-A044-458C4BD8AB1D_zpsxie3cjgo.jpg

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
You're doing that without any mapping?

These things aren't carb'd you can't just play those games!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
New shocks today and drives so much nicer.

After much consideration I am going to concede and go back to the original cooler. Although I love the look of the new one, it's far too big for the set up.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Good, it'll have its own gravitational pull to reel cars in as you approach them then.

Seriously though it doesn't look too big, nothing wrong with a big intercooler.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Good, it'll have its own gravitational pull to reel cars in as you approach them then.

Seriously though it doesn't look too big, nothing wrong with a big intercooler.

It's twice the size of the one i'm running on a 300hp 5 pot turbo and mine will still be fine when I eventually hit 400hp - it's entirely unnecesary and will add lag on something with a small turbo.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
It's twice the size of the one i'm running on a 300hp 5 pot turbo and mine will still be fine when I eventually hit 400hp - it's entirely unnecesary and will add lag on something with a small turbo.

Knows it. It was a lot more punchy with the small cooler and that's what I'm going back to.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Knows it. It was a lot more punchy with the small cooler and that's what I'm going back to.
Can't fault you, keep hold of the bigger one for when you hit the bigger numbers - sounds like a great plan to me!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Well there quite clearly is..lol! Big doesn't mean best.

"The fact is bigger will be better as
long as it can be sited correctly
within the airstream and it doesn’t
significantly affect the engine’s
cooling by blocking the air stream
to other heat exchangers such as
coolant radiators and oil coolers."

http://www.motorsport-developments.co.uk/tech_articles/FAF262_tech.pdf

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Looks like a fun project! let me know if you ever sell it or split it!

"The fact is bigger will be better as
long as it can be sited correctly
within the airstream and it doesn’t
significantly affect the engine’s
cooling by blocking the air stream
to other heat exchangers such as
coolant radiators and oil coolers."

http://www.motorsport-developments.co.uk/tech_articles/FAF262_tech.pdf
You blow up a carrier bag and then blow up a bin liner. Which is going to fill quickest?
He has a baby turbo, bigger intercooler and longer pipe work. It's struggling to fill it quick enough so he is losing pressure and the peak is much higher in the rev range.
He is also only running 8 psi from his baby turbo so not going to be ridiculous intake temps.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
You blow up a carrier bag and then blow up a bin liner. Which is going to fill quickest?
He has a baby turbo, bigger intercooler and longer pipe work. It's struggling to fill it quick enough so he is losing pressure and the peak is much higher in the rev range.
He is also only running 8 psi from his baby turbo so not going to be ridiculous intake temps.
Don't shoot the messenger.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
What diameter is the boost piping btw, you'd gain more from going to 3 to 2" piperwork than changing the cooler. remember the volume of the cool is only in the end tanks and a small amount of the bar and plate design.

e.g swapping from a 20" square intercooler with 2" end tanks and 3" thick compared with a 8" height intercooler with otherwise same dimensions same you 250 cu. in.

changing from a 3 to 2" boost pipe setup with a decent amount of pipe would save you 400 cu. in.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah, took it to Tony banks in Leeds today and he welded it up for me for free. Will hopefully fit tonight and see where the new blow comes from!