ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front Anti Roll Bar Fitting Tips

Clio 182
Can anyone help?

Just had the arb and subframe painted. Really struggled today to get the arb back on. I have bought black power flex bushes in and out to replace the previous ones.

Have got them in place but can't get enough pressure on them to tighten up the bolts.

I noticed the bushes came with grease but they both slipped on quite easily without me having to use them

Any fitting secrets or tips would be great.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I'm going to be doing this tomorrow! I believe a crowbar with the pivot on the bush bracket and then the other end on the bulkhead/floor curve really helps get it into position.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I found using a drift/punch through the holes of the bracket and subframe/wishbone along with a bit of swearing worked wonders, used the punch to pull the bracket over the bush, once in place it held pretty well in order to get the bolt back through. Swearing was optional but I find it generally helps in any situation

I used slightly longer bolts :up:
20170123_144121_zpsrbosvorj.jpg

Last edited:
  M2 Comp
Are you doing it off the car?

If so - I did mine that way using mole grips. Takes no more than 30 seconds per bush!

I use two mole grips. A larger one to pull the clamp towards the subframe and then a smaller one to the side of the bolt hole to hold it in place. Once held in place I then remove the larger mole grips and put the bolt through the hole.

Clio 172 Cup
I used a hefty breaker bar to squash the clamps down as mentioned above. Not before working up a rage and threatening them.

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
The black series bushes are a PITA. longer bolts and swearing, also helps if you trim the bushes down a little as they are slightly too large. Im sure @Tomotek has pictures of it in his project thread

Clio 172 Merc ML55
The black series bushes are a PITA. longer bolts and swearing, also helps if you trim the bushes down a little as they are slightly too large. Im sure @Tomotek has pictures of it in his project thread

I didn't think they were too bad to be honest, once I'd put the inner bushes in the right way round. As I said I used a long punch to pull the bracket round and over the bush and then used the standard bolts. Admittedly I had the subframe off the car so I had plenty of room, may well be a different issue with everything still on the car

Clio 182
Thanks all massive help. I will get on it tonight put the subframe loosely on yesterday but happy to take it off to get it done right

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Tempted to have a go at replacing my inners with OEM but this looks a right pig of a job on the drive, any idea how much a decent garage would charge (have experience with RS Clio's)? The inners have been on the car since new and they looked very split looking from the side of the bush.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Slightly longer bolts and swearing.

If you fit with a larger bolt can you put the bracket in place, remove the bolt and refit with the original sized bolt without the bracket moving out of place?

Clio 182
If you fit with a larger bolt can you put the bracket in place, remove the bolt and refit with the original sized bolt without the bracket moving out of place?

That's what I though. I'll give that a go. Cheers bud

Clio 182
Got it done. Had to drop the subframe out again. Also noticed that the subframe was bent which made getting the ARB back on 100x worse. Got a mallet on it and now its fine. Manage to use the original size bolts for inner but had to use longer bolts on the outers.

When I put it back together, I noticed that the dogbone mount wouldn't go back on. I suspect this is because I noticed that one of the bolts on the gearbox mounts was missing so I replaced it. Because I've done this I think its moved the engine forward so the dogbone doesn't quite join with the subframe.

Not a problem for me to remove the same bolt, but will this make putting the gearbox bolt back in an impossible job?

monaco 172
Put the front bolt in first and then give the engine a little rock until you can get the rear upward bolt in.