ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front wheel bearing removal - urgent help!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Need to change the front wheel bearing. I can get hold of a new kit tomorrow and access to a press too, but will have to be tomorrow otherwise I will have to borrow mother's car for the week!
What I am after what needs to be removed from the car so I can take it to my step dads work to use the press there?
Tried a few searches on here and on google but it's not clear.

I am hoping its wheel bearing as then the problem is going to be more expensive with drive shaft then gear box!!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Sweet, thanks for that. I did manage to find something after a while of searching!
Just a little worried as I have always had someone watching over me when doing car work but I am on my own tomorrow to remove this. Not looking forward to the hub nut.......

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Crack it off while it's on the ground, or jam a screw driver in the brake disc and it'll lock it off while you give it some whammy..

Worst bits the bottom ball joint, a lever bar, crow bar sorts it.

Don't hit the track rod end to free it, whack the side of it (the hub) to shock it free.

Shazam

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a 5ft steel tube to add more leverage for the hub nut, then a torque wrench to do it up with
Thanks for the advice on the track rod end as I replaced them yesterday! I hit the old ones where you said not to (but they were screwed anyway) and was going to blindly do the same today.
I think I have a lever bar for the ball joint, I will cross that barrier when I get to it!!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
It was going all so well.......
Couldn't get the disc off. Doesn't matter, just take that attached to the hub. ABS sensor retaining bolt knakard, drilling it didn't even work, so I simply unplugged it from further up the line. So have 20mins to get everything off the car and take it to my step dad and I am too weak to undo the lower ball joint bolts fml. I can undo them using two hands but then I need a third to hold another spanner to stop the heads spinning. So now I have to wait for help. I was feeling well proud of myself for getting this far!!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I'm in Gloucester at my parents, thanks for the offer though! I only work on my car there as I have help and access to more tools.

Help did arrive when my step dad came home, even he struggled to get them off.
So.....all off the car. Go to use the press and it isn't man enough! So convince a local garage to push the old one out and it did. Now struggling to get the new bearing in as I don't have a press at home. Need to go to my step dads work to use the one there to push it in, but there isn't an opportunity to do it until Monday when he goes back to work.
It was going all so well!!!!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Turns out the press that wasn't man enough has bent the calliper mount on the hub and now the calliper wont go back on ffs. This job is just going from bad to worse!! IT WAS SO CLOSE!!! So currently ballin' around in my Step Dad's Mazda MX5 track toy and by god it is loud! It makes more of a racket than the Clio.

106GTI / NovaC20LET
to remove the bearing just run a weld round the inside or the bearing itself, let it cool for 1 to 2 min's and it should just knock out, only need a press to put bearing in and press hub into bearing.