ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gear changing light

Hi there
Isnt the 172 Sport supposed to have a gear changing light (for showing the best moment to change gears). If so: where the heck is it and why does it light up (rpm).

Thanks for enlighten me.

Sandro

when you turn the ignition on you will see under your speedometer a green light showing a gear lever come on. This is it. It should also light up around 6000-6200 revs to tell you you need change gears. Personally, I prefer watching the road - I rely on the engine note and a quick look at the rpm needle to change gears.

My light seems to come on at 6900 and goes off at 7100rpm. When it use to come on at 6750 rpm. Strange, although it seems to be different when the temperature is either really hot or fairly cold like last week.

@all: Thanks for helping out. Mine is a MK2; its one week old today (with 1400km on the clock) so perhaps I shouldnt rev it to 7000 rpms, should I? Anyway, I check tomorrow whether or not I have the gearstick light...

@dogmaul: Yupp, I know. What I meant, when I am reving it, it should lighten up (course its lighting when I turn the key). Because my cars new thats what frightens me at the moment.

Technically all Clio 172s chould have one. It is written in the Renault as a feature. If its not lighting up then you could have a broken buld or a more serious fault. BUT if your not seeing it then you have a fault!!

RB5 & 172

not according to renault, several dealers have told me mine does not have one despite the fact i have the icon on my dash, just never lights up.

That sounds dodgey to me, why would they put it in some and not others, i have a copy of the 172 sales catalogue and it is listed in there as a feature.

What that probably means is that it is hard for the dealers to fix so they feed you some bull........

bearing in mind that this is the MKI catalogue i am looking at..... id argue that point to them.

i have got it but dont work it will work next week when i get my remapp done he is going to do it then plus a few extras on the remap cant wait.

The fact it comes on at 6900 suggests its a pre-limiter warning and not an optimal gearchange indicator, as peak performance on an unmodded car is at 6250.

Itd be nice to have that message displayed on the centre console screen. Maybe I should ask for this mod when I get my unichip :D

@all: Its like Philippe is saying: not much of use, actually. Much more a warning... Oh well, I ignore it then *lol*...