ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Genuin Renault belts Vs "Copy's" ?

Italian 3.2 V6
Ok so it major service time for our DCI, my partners dad reckons Non-genuin Renault belts ("Copy's") are totally acceptable to use, the better option as there cheaper.. I'm not too sure on this one. Personally I disagree!

What is everyone's thoughts/experiences of "Copy's" vs genuine Renault belts.

Thanks.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
End of the day if it's for sale it will be fit for purpose, but then would you rather pay the extra and have the Renault piece of mind?

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
I think Gates make the belts which are the same as the Renault ones...no real difference in the belt...I think its the pulleys, etc where you need to be careful.

LY Megane R26
It's one of them, we're a lot of people would prefer the genuine stuff in the Renault box,But if you go for the likes of SKF, INA, Gates, Dayco and other timing belt kits to the same quality you will probably find they are what you would be buying from Renault and roll of the production line.

A lot of people will probably disagree with me, but this is one of the things I have learnt in the motor trade working for a factor selling the parts.
Another example is clutches, I know it's not what your asking but.. Valeo is The genuine clutch on a lot of French cars, do people will ask for valeo because it is genuine yet when an LUK clutch kit is offered they turn their noses up even though LUK will be putting the valeo in their box, LUK don't make aftermarket clutches, they what ever vehicle they don't make them for originally they will buy and put in their box, it's what a lot of manufacturers do these days.

So in relation to your question you could find its INA tensioners in the Renault box and a gates belt, and if you bought in the aftermarket it may be cheaper. But these days even the genuine parts really arnt massively more expensive than another make, some things are still hugely different in price others are not so different. I will just say stay away from cheap copy kits that don't have a major brand on them, if you go to a factor for a kit rather than genuine stick a well know make like the ones I've mentioned above.

Hope that helps.

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Pair of stockings should doo if u wanna save some coin my partners great great great grandad says they do the same job as the genuine belts and worked on his model T ford

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
most decent quality aftermarket manufacturers make oe parts for lots of vehicles. I wouldn't hesitate using most reasonable brand name belt kits

Italian 3.2 V6
Ok great stuff, will see what "copy's" are being offered to me and how much.

BG 182
Renault are not going to make the belts and pulleys are they. They will be supplied to them and packaged in Renault boxes. Companies such as gates and dayco are certified oem equipment suppliers and should be very similar quality. Though I wouldn't have thought RenaultSport price is that far out from buying a gates kit elsewhere.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
IMO the reason I like genuine stuff is you know it's good quality and correct, while there is loads of aftermarket stuff of equal quality, there is loads that are shite and don't fit correctly.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Throttle and clutch cables are a different matter. Perhaps we need a sticky for what is ok and what's not ok to buy non Renault.

Italian 3.2 V6
Well iv bit the bullet n gone for the copys so hopefully all will be alright!

Got a good price so I couldn't refuse!