ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Geometry setup in Notts/Derby

Can anybody recommend any decent places to get suspension set up properly?
What sort of cost can I expect to pay?

Coilovers are imminent, so it'll need setting up.

I'll give them a ring in the morning to see how much they charge.

I know there's ETS in Derby too, as they set up my 1.2 when I put it on Coilovers. Cost £60 iirc.

Was just about to recommend ETS in Sutton. Only reason I went there was because it was too low to get the wheel aligning equipment on at my mates garage. They did a decent job though, £45 IIRC.

Mansfield Wheel Alignment have always done mine.

They are a bit old school but they have a Hunter system and do a great job. c.£45 for 4 wheel alignment

E46 M3
I get mine done at ets in derby, less than 25 quid for the front on the hunter. They'll set it to what whatever you want and will take as long as it needs to get it perfect.

I'm sure ETS charged me for a 4 wheel alignment on my 1.2 lol. Buggers.
Thats all good then, I'll get some quotes tomorrow for it. Hopefully someone will be open on Monday (doubtful, but hey), so that I don't have to worry about it too long.

​Any recommendations for settings on the front? Or shall I just go standard and everything normal? Because not a race car, grandad car.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Inner ring in Derby are spot on. ETS always moan the cars too low and complain they can't get the laser boards on properly, turned me away last time when I was having tyres fitted to spare wheels. Took mine to inner ring when I fitted coil overs and been back twice

340i
I'm sure ETS charged me for a 4 wheel alignment on my 1.2 lol. Buggers.
Thats all good then, I'll get some quotes tomorrow for it. Hopefully someone will be open on Monday (doubtful, but hey), so that I don't have to worry about it too long.

​Any recommendations for settings on the front? Or shall I just go standard and everything normal? Because not a race car, grandad car.

setttings are always a personnel preference.

are you keeping O.E top mounts?

I would start with 1.5 degrees of negative camber and see how that feels.

Yeah, staying OE top mounts for now. May be something that I'll upgrade once I've sorted a couple other bits.

1.5 degrees. Being a total r****d (mechanically and life in general), what would the negative camber do for me and everyday driving? Improve the cornering abilities slightly? Will this amount cause a mass of uneven tyre wear?

340i
Yeah, staying OE top mounts for now. May be something that I'll upgrade once I've sorted a couple other bits.

1.5 degrees. Being a total r****d (mechanically and life in general), what would the negative camber do for me and everyday driving? Improve the cornering abilities slightly? Will this amount cause a mass of uneven tyre wear?

1.5 negative isn't a huge amount!

It should give a sharper turn in.

there should be no uneven tyre wear if its tracked up correctly.

Make sure your tyre pressures are correct before getting the tracking done too.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Theres a place in old basford that have a hunter system and the owner used to race renault 5 turbo's! They did a good job on my old car.

ETS make me laugh. I've just rang up 3 of their branches to get quotes for this.

Giltbrook: £100 (but they cant set camber to anything other than factory settings)
Derby: £50 for wheel alignment plus extra for camber adjustment (but it depends how low it is)
Sutton: £50

Consistency FTW.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
ETS make me laugh. I've just rang up 3 of their branches to get quotes for this.

Giltbrook: £100 (but they cant set camber to anything other than factory settings)
Derby: £50 for wheel alignment plus extra for camber adjustment (but it depends how low it is)

Consistency FTW.

In fairness to them, for standard tyres, they're very good. If you tel them that another branch is charging less, they'll usually price match.

I went to the sutton one today. Very nice facilities they have.

Even when I enquiries about tyres, I rang Giltbrook and Somecotes. For 2 tyres supplied & fitted, Somecotes were just shy of £30 cheaper.
Plus, I don't like the staff so much at Giltbrook. They don't seem as helpful & knowledgable.
For fitting tyres, I always go to Somecotes ETS as they're cheap and have a really good service, even if their facilities are getting on a bit now.

E46 M3

Consistency FTW.

You're getting ripped off.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368135245676.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368135245676.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Was that for camber adjustment etc or just alignment?
Normal wheel alignment is £25 (or cheaper with discount vouchers).
Tbh, I'm happy paying £50 to get it set properly, as now i know that the camber, toe etc is set perfectly, but that is mega cheap if so. I bet they undercharged you.

E46 M3
The camber was already spot on so I didn't ask them to adjust it but we did agree the price before it went on the machine...
I've had it done twice at that price now.

So basically just for the basic alignment?
Thats ok then. I've only ever paid £20-25 for the normal alignments with them. It's just the camber adjustment that added up for me today, which is fine.

E46 M3
As far as I was concerned it was for camber too but they may have tried to charge me more if I'd asked for the camber to be done. I'll ask them to do it next time.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I went to the sutton one today. Very nice facilities they have.

Even when I enquiries about tyres, I rang Giltbrook and Somecotes. For 2 tyres supplied & fitted, Somecotes were just shy of £30 cheaper.
Plus, I don't like the staff so much at Giltbrook. They don't seem as helpful & knowledgable.
For fitting tyres, I always go to Somecotes ETS as they're cheap and have a really good service, even if their facilities are getting on a bit now.

I always use the Mapperly branch, for basic tyres, they're the cheapest I've found in town.

Used one of the Derby branches too, who were good too.

They've also done me favours before, so tend to use them.