ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gtt clio or r5

which is the better car? is it worth gtting a clio? or better off buying an r5? which is btter handling? how much performance difference? any experiences? NUFF QUESTIONS ALREADY!:D

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Clio is a better car IMO. Mainly cos its newer and has better build. 16v faster as standard, but R5 easily tuned. Thats why everyone and their mother is have a GTT transplant...

I

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Clio is a better car IMO. Mainly cos its newer and has better build. 16v faster as standard, but R5 easily tuned. Thats why everyone and their mother is have a GTT transplant...

I drove a 5 turbo the other week and my clio felt so nice to

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

I drove a 5 turbo the other week and my clio felt so nice to drive afterwards,

how many times u wanna post damnit adam ;)

i prefer the R5 for the more racing feeling over my williams tbh.. prolly coz mine is modded.. and the williams werent

I would say that a GT Turbo transplant into a 16v would make a fine car as all the suspension/handling/braking/durability is already there to handle the power.

But a Clio 1.2/1.4 etc with a GT Turbo engine in will take some work on these areas before it could be said to be "better" than a standard GT Turbos handling/chassis/braking/suspension etc.

how about a clio with a renault 19 16v engine in it? you would need differnt inlet arrangment, but i would be a rock solid and progressive 137BHP from a modern engine. if only they werre readily avalible for for 2 grand and group 12 insurance now that would be an easy decision

just found my gtt engine picking it up a week saturday, ordering coilovers etc for my clio this week aswell want to get hold of some bigger brakes then going to tune the gtt engine, never drove a clio turbo before drove the renault 5 gtt and they flew so id be happy if it could keep up with them while looking abit more sexyier!!

Revels Mum & Sister

I have a R5 GTT sat in mates Garage waiting to be repaired I pickjed up cheap.

Mate had a really highely tunned one about 200-220BHP. Was really unreliable but f**k ME!!! It flew like a b*****d!

Even midly tuned they are fast!! Getting on but love them to bits!! But prefer the comfort of my valver and the look!

Get a ph1 19 16V much better than either.

You can pick up a ph1 for under a grand easily and the more rust prone and crappier built ph2s for under 500 for a 16V.

Go to auction and get one for a tenner if your lucky.

Chris is correct, so is Ben, The GTT conversion is worng!

(must remeber to use shorter and more simple words with the GTT conversion boys)

Quote: Originally posted by 16v - 2.0 on 15 May 2003

Chris is correct, so is Ben, The GTT conversion is worng!

(must remeber to use shorter and more simple words with the GTT conversion boys)
Eh?

Why simple words? I could easily have put a 2.0 lump in my valver, but whats the point? power gains are limited and cost loads of money, how much would it cost you to get a reliable 200bhp out of your 2.0 lump? And how much heavier would it be?

So hows that being simple?

Quote: Originally posted by 16v Clio on 15 May 2003

Eh?

Why simple words? I could easily have put a 2.0 lump in my valver, but whats the point? power gains are limited and cost loads of money, how much would it cost you to get a reliable 200bhp out of your 2.0 lump? And how much heavier would it be?

So hows that being simple?
where would you have sourced this williams engine? the point is its very close to the best hot hatch ever, you cant buy a williams for the money i have spent on my 16v, and almost everything on my 16v is brand new, i doubt my conversion would cost much more then yours, butt hen i wouldnt pay money to have a nasty old push rod engine dropped in! i think you confusing yourself, 200bhp from either engine is possible, but only one would reliable, maybe a comparison of one of these RT-GTT with my car would prove you wrong, with BenR driving the RT would so far behind i couldnt even hear the tapping or see the clouds of white smoke.

or maybe a race over a significant distance of say 10 miles would change you mind, a 200bhp GTT does about 12 lamposts per head gasket! ive done 8k in my 165bhp valver and its never skiped a beat, i nearly bought a williams that was good as new at 220k and a guy rebuilt one at the same mileage and found it was hardly worn, 32mpg is easy and insurance is 500 quid a year!

why not save your money for some neons or a phat body kit instead

do a search on here and see the experiences of big BHP GTT owners

LMAO! with me driving........

id go straight for the GTT, far simpler and cheaper. Plus you get a better handling car than teh RT (jsut dont stick huge wheels on it).

The GTT will handle better lighter and thus go faster for the output and generally jsut easier and better.

Getting 200bhp out of each engine will end up costing just overa grand for the GTT and if you can do it all yourself about 2-2.5K for the 16V........simply because the hardware for the F7 is more expensive.

Plus, people have been doing the GTT for ages and its NOT unreliable at all, its all muppets after a cheap BHP increase that f**k up their cars. So, parts for teh GTT are cheap and plentyful, they are well known quantities and now i want one. lol

Simply Mr 16v 2.0 - You speak crap!

I really cannot be bothered with the pros and cons of the conversions, as I have weighed them both up and I believe that the GTT conversion is the way I want to go, I wont be justing turning up the boost and not uprating the other parts, a full engine re-build is taking place, and basically anything that can be replaced will be, I will be using a front mount cooler to help with the well known GTT cooling problems, but the best people to speak about this are the people who have had the Clio GTT conversion done and I dont know anyone who is not completely happy.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

What front mount are you getting? I cant wait till a few more Clio GTT owners have a bit more power and a bit of milage behind them and shut people up about reliability and power.

never had a problem with mine 18 months at up to 20 psi! never missed a beat!

my 19 16v on the other hand, eaten a gearbox, ecu, still never wants to idle! even with new throttle body etc etc!

cars are as reliable as the owner!

and theres nowt wrong with pushrods! if they are good enough for a dodge viper they are good enough for me!;)

Quote: Originally posted by coolspot007007 on 16 May 2003

What front mount are you getting? I cant wait till a few more Clio GTT owners have a bit more power and a bit of milage behind them and shut people up about reliability and power.

Going for a forge one mate, then with the hard piping involved Jon says the wastegate chatter sounds amazing!!

Quote: Originally posted by torsiontuning on 16 May 2003

and theres nowt wrong with pushrods! if they are good enough for a dodge viper they are good enough for me!;)
FOrget the viper, my X-flow has them!!!!

maked head swaps a doddle!

cambelt, what cambelt! lol

My X-flow is in a Caspian blue MK1 XR2......dont wanna hyjack the thread so ill PM you.

i get quite excited over my lil ford. haha

I have the GTT conversion, never yet eaten a head gaskeet. Put a Group a one on and you will have no problems. The only probs ive had with mine are stupid thinngs like fuel pump etc. I would say i am completly happy with the GTT conversion, cheap easy and reliable power at low cost. What more could you want?

Maybe a few bhp of nos, oh yeah.. got that to.

ive now had my GTT for about 2 months now.... and i can honestly say ive not had a SINGLE problem with it which is related to engine cause...

the only problem i have had was caused by the bloke who was showing me how he used to clean the engine with WD40 etc to make it shine... he accidently disconnected the fan switch and one of the pipes got too hot and split causing the water to empty out.. and ding red light come up on dash, i was like :eek: but trip to renault down the road at 1000rpm and a new pipe fitted and connected fan.. all was sweet.

honestly... if u can get a descent GTT engine that has never been tuned badly or by an idiot.. u will have a good car... mine has never had a blown turbo or head gasket.

and apparently when the cars idling after its warmed up etc.. if theres water vapour on the end of the exhaust, it means the engines nicely sealed and everythings running right?

Get a bleed valve and up the boost to 20 psi on the standard head gasket and turbo. Thats the way to tune an R5.

Well so my mate Dave in the pub told me

yup.. trying to max the standard turbo etc without uprating hoses and headgasket etc.. and u are looking for problems... specially with the original cooler... as it is they run hot standard.

Just need to get mine back and then do the 1000miles bedding it all in and then may invset in a T3 roller bearing turbo for it as the bottom end and head are being prepd for some big power!

Jon said he was going to prepare a list for you! Mine is going in on monday and shall return a beast!! Going to be a killer not being able to use full boost though!! But cant wait to hear what the wastegate chatter is going to be like!!