ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Half done

200,182 Trophy, Cup
After picking up a set of brembos with pads cheap I've spent a few hours in the garage braving the cold. I've fitted the offside set .The job was fairly straightforward helped by a previous owner using liberal amounts of copper grease here and there. I had to press new bearings in and fit abs rings as the brembos come bare. I prepared and sprayed all the caliper components and disc centres.The key to getting a good finish is as ever in the prep, brass wire brush, brake parts cleaner, IPA then use adhesion aid before paint. Anyway here's a couple of pics of the finished job

IMG_0079.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0066.JPG

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Are you sure they're Brembo discs ? I'm guessing you bought the discs and pads off ebay ? I'm pretty sure Brembo don't make drilled rear discs for the 1*2's and the fronts don't look like the grooved Max discs or the drilled X-tra discs . Lots of adverts cleverly use the name " Brembo " in the title making people think they're Brembo pads and discs when in fact they'll only be Brembo pads . You'd have been better off just opting for some standard Brembo HC discs and rears with the bearings and ABS ring already fitted . It would have saved you the hassle of pressing in the bearings and fitting the ABS rings .
I'm not saying what you've fitted are crap , just a bit of a headsup for the future .

Ebay example of how they word it:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLIO-CUP-...Grooved-Brake-Discs-BREMBO-Pads-/230830204463

200,182 Trophy, Cup
Hi. No I didn't get them off eBay, I bought them off another owner on the forum. They were still in the inner boxes wit the Brembo part nos which cross referenced to their parts so I can only presume they are right. I only paid £70 for the full set so can't complain really.

Are you sure they're Brembo discs ? I'm guessing you bought the discs and pads off ebay ? I'm pretty sure Brembo don't make drilled rear discs for the 1*2's and the fronts don't look like the grooved Max discs or the drilled X-tra discs . Lots of adverts cleverly use the name " Brembo " in the title making people think they're Brembo pads and discs when in fact they'll only be Brembo pads . You'd have been better off just opting for some standard Brembo HC discs and rears with the bearings and ABS ring already fitted . It would have saved you the hassle of pressing in the bearings and fitting the ABS rings .
I'm not saying what you've fitted are crap , just a bit of a headsup for the future .

Ebay example of how they word it:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLIO-CUP-...Grooved-Brake-Discs-BREMBO-Pads-/230830204463
Brembo only list solid rear discs for the clio maybe they have had them machined?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Brembo only list solid rear discs for the clio maybe they have had them machined?
That's what I actually meant to say , but never said it lol . Ebay sellers selling drilled " Brembo discs " are usually machined afterwards according to what I've read @George@RTR_Parts say. Or sometimes they are only Brembo pads and some unknown drilled discs but the advert is made to look like the whole package pads/discs are Brembo.

200,182 Trophy, Cup
Looking good @ashtons99 !

Good job on painting them too, makes the world of difference when its on the road looking in behind the wheel and not seeing rust.

Hope the ABS rings fitted ok ?

Hi Chris.
Rings were perfect thanks, I just warmed them with the hot air gun and they pushed on fine, I was going to send you a photo by PM anyway.
I managed to get the old ones off the original discs so I can maybe carry on the favour some time

200,182 Trophy, Cup
Given I did 600 miles in this car last year and the fact I've been driving cars with cross drilled discs since the 1980s without an issue I can't honestly say I'm troubled by concerns, when top end manufacturers like AP make them I think a bit of propaganda by EBC is hardly worth worrying about.

Given I did 600 miles in this car last year and the fact I've been driving cars with cross drilled discs since the 1980s without an issue I can't honestly say I'm troubled by concerns, when top end manufacturers like AP make them I think a bit of propaganda by EBC is hardly worth worrying about.
Agree if there the genuine article.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
That's what I actually meant to say , but never said it lol . Ebay sellers selling drilled " Brembo discs " are usually machined afterwards according to what I've read @George@RTR_Parts say. Or sometimes they are only Brembo pads and some unknown drilled discs but the advert is made to look like the whole package pads/discs are Brembo.

This, a lot of very slyly worded adverts on ebay. Intentionally listed to make you think you're getting Brembo grooved/drilled discs , which are either Brembo blanks done "in house" or sometimes they don't even list which make the discs are, which doesn't exactly give you confidence in their quality ...

The OP discs are not Brembo grooved (Max) or drilled (Xtra) . they may be plain Brembo discs (it will have their logo stamped on the outer edge with part number) and done afterwards. But the rear Brembo discs come with bearings in as new

ps did you make sure the little spacer was fitted behind the rear discs , catches a lot pf people out this:
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/renault-spacer-that-go-behind-rear-discs-on-clio-172-182.712287/

This, a lot of very slyly worded adverts on ebay. Intentionally listed to make you think you're getting Brembo grooved/drilled discs , which are either Brembo blanks done "in house" or sometimes they don't even list which make the discs are, which doesn't exactly give you confidence in their quality ...

The OP discs are not Brembo grooved (Max) or drilled (Xtra) . they may be plain Brembo discs (it will have their logo stamped on the outer edge with part number) and done afterwards. But the rear Brembo discs come with bearings in as new

ps did you make sure the little spacer was fitted behind the rear discs , catches a lot pf people out this:
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/renault-spacer-that-go-behind-rear-discs-on-clio-172-182.712287/
Slyly http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230830204463?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Lol at the graph
The Chart on the left below shows the bad effects increased heat has on all car brakes. even when holding a steady force on the brake pedal the heat, dust and gasses quickly builds and starts to greatly affect the brakes, They will start to fade and with more prolonged use, will fail altogether! The chart on the right shows that when using Drilled & Grooved Discs, The temperature level never goes into the higher heat zone as a result you will experience very little or no brake fade even when driving to the cars limits and even with standard brake pads!

BRAKINGCHART.jpg

Made buy
1280x720-Vh8.jpg