ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Handprints on Paint (sun cream)

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Hi all. Looking for a bit of advice. My wife's car has two handprints on one of the doors from where one of the kids has touched it when they had sun cream on. Is there any way to hide them? I don't want to go to great lengths to remove them as the car is being handed back in a few weeks, I just want to temporarily hide them until the car is someone else's problem.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Solvent based cleaner will shift it. Tar and glue remover or petrol followed by a wash.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I would assume an APC would shift it? It's just sun cream after all? Or am I missing something

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Suncream goes through the lacquer, you will never remove it completely. I know this, I have two massive ones on the back wing of my wife's car! Lol
A good machine polish followed with a good wax will hide it for 6 months though.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Hmm, right. Might go with the not washing it option then and hope for the best. Hopefully it's raining when it's collected.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Hmm, right. Might go with the not washing it option then and hope for the best. Hopefully it's raining when it's collected.
If they're not too bad, a quick going over with regular car polish will hide it for a week or so.
Ideal if you're handing it back to a lease company etc.

Clio 182??
If you have access to a da or something and some decent compound like scholl s20 or s3 gold xxl put some on a polish pad and hit the affected area , will take you 5 minutes.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
If you have access to a da or something and some decent compound like scholl s20 or s3 gold xxl put some on a polish pad and hit the affected area , will take you 5 minutes.
No it won't.

Listen to Daniel. Like make up suncream has certain ingredients that eat in to lacquer for some reason. You can flatten and polish till your bored but it will come back.

It's not a normal stain it's mental how it does it to the lacquer. Always fascinated me.

Clio 182??
Ok then. Well I had sun cream marks on my previous car and I never noticed it returning once I used s3 gold, plus I see this regularly at work and remove them the same way and not seen them return.

Clio 182??
Haha just saying what I have noticed, I agree they are a pain in arse but I'm just saying they are not impossible to remove that's all.

A4 Avant & A3
I've got them around the doors of my silver golf... wondered for ages what was causing the cloudy hand & finger prints.
As said above, just a normal polish (I used some AG super resin I think) this made the marks a lot less obvious, but they do come back after a while, so should be ok for what you need.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
An update for any who's interested. Just used some SRP and they've hidden them. So job done. Of course I'd forgotten about the deeper scratches from the bike carrier (which was used against my advice) so hopefully the guy doesn't notice them. Used some SRP as well but they're still visible but IMO fit their acceptable damage guidelines (i.e. Not down to the metal).

Also hoping my wife takes better car of the new motor she picked up at the weekend as well (she has stated the bike carrier won't be going on this one, thank Christ).