ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Harness mounting

Fiat Punto GT
I've been trawling the internet over the last few weeks looking at the tonne of information relating to proper harness mounting. I also had a good look at the instructions that came with my Schroth harness.

I've now come to the conclusion that my harnesses are complete unsafe and that they need remounting.

The distance between the back of the seat and the mounting points is far too long, this needs to be as short as possible to prevent slack. Most modern cars and especially Fiats crumple in an impact. If I was to be involved in a rear end shunt, it's likely that the mounting points I have use will spring forward causing slack in the harness. To solve this you would use a harness bar, either independent or as part of a roll cage.

Shown here is one fitted to a 911:

harness1.jpg

The mounting angle is also to much, they need to be within 15-20 degrees of a horizontal line from the holes in the seat back. This is to ensure that the harnesses stay on your shoulders and do not put too much pressure on your shoulders.

This image shows the shoulder belt and lap belt angles:

image_033.gif

The lap straps must be routed so that:

· lap belt strap length must be as short as possible. The distance between the lap belt anchor points should not be greater than the width of occupant’s pelvis or the outer width of the occupant’s bucket seat. The distance of approximately 400 mm [16”] is recommended. If there are choices of several anchor points choose those that come the closest to these recommendations.

· Lap belt straps must be routed over the pelvic bone to stay firmly and tightly in the crest between the pelvic bone and the upper thigh.

· Lap belt downward angle should be approximately 60° measured from the horizontal, passing through the occupant’s hip joint. This is the suggested angle for upright seating [15-20° backrest declination]. A higher backrest declination, e.g. 30° – 40°, as is common in open wheel race cars, requires a belt angle of 70° – 80°.

· Make sure there are no sharp edges [seat structure, seat mounts, chassis] that may tear or cut the lap belt webbing.

Also, in the above image note that the shoulder belts should not be straight from each shoulder when the distance is greater than 500mm [20“] behind the seatback.

POSITIONING OF SHOULDER STRAP ANCHOR POINTS

X = Distance from Shoulder Points to attachment. Take the measurement from the highest shoulder point.

Z = Distance from the middle of the left shoulder point of the webbing to the middle of the right shoulder point of the webbing.

Y = Approximate distance between anchor points. [measured from the middle of the webbing at the left anchor point to the middle of the webbing at the right anchor point]

Approximate result: the shoulder belts will cross over when the anchor points are located more than approx. 500 mm [20”] behind the seat backrest.

shoulder_belt_measurements.jpg

And finally, the mounting points themselves.

Tightening Torques by Bolt Dimension

• Each bolt diameter and type of thread requires an individual torque for proper tightening. These torques as listed below are defined by national or international standardisation organisations.

• For safe installation always tighten bolts to the recommended torque.

• For any installation use e.g. “Loctite 243” or spring washers where recommended to secure bolt fastening.

Bolt size - 7/16” 20 UNF / Torque in Nm 40 / Torque in lbinch 30

For new attachment points to the chassis you should use a FIA specified reinforcement plate.

• Drill a hole of 12 mm diameter for lap- & shoulder belt and 5-point anti-sub strap attachments.

• Use seal compound and stick the reinforcement plate from underneath to the floor panel. The seal also helps to prevent water intrusion.

This is just my take on the guidelines I've been reading and some of the reports I've read when people haven't followed this. I am not by any means an expert on this, so if anyone knows more than me, please feel free to speak up.

I know I'll be redoing my harness mountings ASAP to fall in line with these guidelines.

Hope this helps.

Fiat Punto GT
Most of it is, for example exact distances between the belts. But if you look at the more general information it's quite eye opening like the crumple zone effect.

It's all very well, but unless you are building a car from scatch it really isn't simple to comply with all those guidelines.

In my opinion unless you are using the car for competition you should stick with the standard seats and belts

It's all very well, but unless you are building a car from scatch it really isn't simple to comply with all those guidelines.

In my opinion unless you are using the car for competition you should stick with the standard seats and belts

I agree with your second point

As regards it not being simple that not the point surly you shoudl be modificing a car so it better and so it could still sit a SVA test etc and be in a crash and be safe.

mer mer mer

Noone will agree with legal statutury right and good practice though on here.

But just wait until one of these monkeys has an accident with badly placed cross brace and harness eyes - watch the PI Claim come in and the insurance company state they aren't paying out.

People are dim, Ed, it's just a way of life.

But just wait until one of these monkeys has an accident with badly placed cross brace and harness eyes - watch the PI Claim come in and the insurance company state they aren't paying out.

People are dim, Ed, it's just a way of life.
I know I'd just like people to know what they should be doing rarther than listening to xyz who doens't know anything.

The day I'm proven right will be a sad day for someone. Hence why I don't want to be proven right.

Fiat Punto GT
Well I'm certainly one for listening and I will be making changes to my car to comply with these recommendations.

Which is safer though, attaching belts to existing standard eyes which arn't in the optimium position but are guaranteed to be strong or attaching them to a plate and eye put in by Mr Bodjit with his gasless MIG welder and cordless drill?

I'm fairly sure my harness installation isnt 100% to FIA specs (although it is to MSA) but to get it spot on would be almost impossible due to space and angle considerations. Heaven forbid I have an accident but if I did I am confident in them doing enough of a job for me to be safe.

This is the diagram from the MSA blue book about harness angles, which shows more leeway then a straight 20 degrees below horizontal

belts.jpg

Fiat Punto GT
Which is safer though, attaching belts to existing standard eyes which arn't in the optimium position but are guaranteed to be strong or attaching them to a plate and eye put in by Mr Bodjit with his gasless MIG welder and cordless drill?

I'm fairly sure my harness installation isnt 100% to FIA specs (although it is to MSA) but to get it spot on would be almost impossible due to space and angle considerations. Heaven forbid I have an accident but if I did I am confident in them doing enough of a job for me to be safe.

Follow the instructions above then the plate will be perfectly safe.

The clever (and right) answer is neither, if you had those two choices I hope you would say sod it and stick with a completely standard seat belt setup. Do it properly or not at all imo, it's a safety device not a visual mod.

There no standard eyes designed to take loads like the harness would give low down though only one realy is on the c pillar ie the rear seat belt mount

WHy are we comparing a questionable weld with anything though if its got to be done do it right IMO
so 45deg from shoulders to mounting point is allowed?
on some seats but doens't mean the mount on the rear seats is strong enough.
The clever (and right) answer is neither, if you had those two choices I hope you would say sod it and stick with a completely standard seat belt setup. Do it properly or not at all imo, it's a safety device not a visual mod.
Very true.