ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight correction without a PC Polisher?

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Good stuff. No point doing all that work for them not to be sealed against the weather/UV that causes the damage in the first place.

I was hesitant as to how much to wet n dry to be honest for fear of removing the UV coating, but I'm reasonably confident that its not an actual coating, more of a stabiliser that is added to the plastic before moulding.

Clio mk2 phase 2
Trying this wednesday. Mine are really bad so gna have to sort a polishing fitting for the drill. Will post pictures.

FF 182
Anyone used the Novus scratch remover plastic polisher stuff for the headlights? A mate lent me his pack but dunno wether to use it or just wet and dry them.

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread!

Took out a few hours of my weekend today and had a crack at doing this. I don't have a DA/rotary polisher, so it was all done by hand over the best part of 4 hours.. but I'm massively pleased with the results. I used 1200 & 2500 grit Wet & Dry sand paper from Halfrauds and about half a bottle of Megs Scratch X and a random spray bottle for the water!

​Not the best photos as taken on a camera phone, sorry!

IMAG0890.jpgIMAG0894.jpgIMAG0896.jpgIMAG0897.jpg

For the attention of all those that say the 3M kit is fine;

Hi all,

Just bought some secondhand lights for my car since I had a go with the 3M kit on my old ones and they came out, Well.. Pap really!

I think the sand paper was just to coarse and can still see a lot of scratches on the lights when you look closely. These secondhand ones have the normal hazing on top and a few scratches etc so im wanting to tidy them up to make them look clean and fresh!

Can anyone tell me a good process to do them and where to buy the products for a good price instead of buying the 3M kit.

Ive got a drill with the attachment to put the sand paper on to make it a bit easier than doing it by hand :p

Just want to know what sort of grade of sandpaper i will need and how much of it etc. Oh and a polish/compound aswell!

Thanks in advance :)

I rest my case.

Renault Clio MK4 RS
For the attention of all those that say the 3M kit is fine;

I rest my case.

Yeah if i was any of you who are wanting to do your headlights, dont use the 3m Kit. Only unless you are only after getting a result that you can go 'well its alright'. I admit the 3M kit for money is ok. But for a better result go with a more finer grade sandpaper which will not leave scratches when you look close. I mean tbh i didnt expect much from the kit for it being pretty cheap and it lived upto its name perfectly. Its good for a cheap fix. But not mint by any means :)

Hi all
Think I have the start of this hazing effect on my head lamps I tried some g3 with A cloth then polish but it didn't make much difference I was scared if putting to much pressure on the lamp tho or are they pretty sturdy. Here's a picture after I had spent about 10 mins on it. Sorry is just a iPhone picture I don't really use a desktop anymore. You can see it near the lower part of the picture.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372957811.730069.jpg
Hope this picture works.

Would using g3 but putting more effort behind it get out these marks?

Thanks
Chris

I had the start of this that has appeared over the last few months (since C4 wore off). I took some decent cutting polish and solved it by hand. Yet more proof you don't need a drill or the ridiculous 3M kit.

BMW 330cd
Hi, i need some help on this topic i will be doing mine this week and i will be using the Das-6 pro da polisher. I'm fine with the wet and dry my questions are can i just use megs scratch x v2 then ag srp or should i use a cutting compound as well? Also what size backing plate and pads do you guys recommend?

FF Racing Blue 182
How many sheets of wet and dry should i need or per side

And when polishing up what should i be using cloth/buffer wise

Renault Clio 172 Cup
I did my headlights yesterday using the Meguiar's kit:
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/cl...s/meguiars-one-step-headlight-restoration-kit

It wasn't cheap at £22 but the only one that Halfords had. It took about an hour on each headlight using the sanding pads, then the polishing pad on the drill. They're not perfect but a million times better than they were, and I can actually see where I'm driving at night now, which is always a bonus.

Before:
Before.jpg

After:
After.jpg

There my attempt using a das6 pro for the first time using

1.800,1500,2500 grit wet and dry
2.chemical guys V34 with yellow hex pad
3.chemical guys V36 with green hex pad
4.chemical guys V38 with black hex pad

Then sealed with AF tough coat ( only sealant I have)

Then a layer of AF essence

Drivers side
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419613344.125646.jpg

Passengers side
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419613522.146685.jpg

Very pleased with the outcome even tho there not 100% but the car is 14yr old

Let me know what you think and if there's anything a should do different

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
They look very good, I've no idea on the abrasiveness of the CG polishes but outcome looks decent :)

terryc101

ClioSport Club Member
Finally got around to sorting mine at the weekend, they were both awful! Only remembered to take a before pic once I'd done one already oops!

Process was:
Menz 203S on a white hex
PO85 on a black hex
Sealed with G5

17185212062_00a702b271_z.jpg
PhotoGrid_1429206421548 by terryclarke13, on Flickr